Christmas music

Tom in RI

I admit it, I am a sucker for holiday music. The Jimi Hendrix Christmas medley, James Brown Christmas (Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto), various other jazz, blues, folk or bluegrass compilations, I get sucked in, I can't help it (I have drawn the line at John Tesh). My favorite piece of Christmas music though is Charles Brown's Please Come Home For Christmas, a song so good it trancends the novelty aspect, I think.

I've picked up quite a few jazz Christmas discs through the years and have seen an increase in blues and r'n'b Christmas discs the last few years. This summer I grabbed the soudtrack from Scrooged after having been on the lookout for it for a few years.

Anyway, anybody have any other Christmas music favorites I should be on the lookout for?

Edited by Tom in RI

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tonym, no need to apologize. I recognize most Christmas music falls into the novelty category, I'm sure people don't listen toMiles Davis' Blue Xmas repeatedly like they might with Kind of Blue. So, I'm not talking profound musical experience here. Still, I am driving my family crazy with this stuff. Couw, thanks for the tips, I'll check'em out.

Couw, thanks for the tips, I'll check'em out.

don't thank me just yet! :g

seriously, check that first link, the one up now, "Soulful Strings" has some (and some not so...) amazing tunes*. the forum under the second link has lots of pointers elsewhere too.

*whatever you do, get the third track: Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.

Edited by couw

Here is an opening for me to pimp the Uptown Christmas cd.

Tracks by Claudio Roditi/Don Sickler, Frank Wess/Johnny Coles, Kenny Barron, Charlie Rouse, Richard Wyands, Maria Muldaur, Walter Davis Jr, Carl Fontana/Al Cohn, Barry Harris, Jack Sheldon/Barry Harris, Sahib Shihab and Tommy Flanagan.

Contact me if you are interested. B-)

Tracks/Albums: Kenny Burrell's Argo LP, Booker Ervin's White Christmas, Tony Bennett w/ Dexter Gordon's White Christmas, Duke's Nutcracker, Duke Pearson's Blue Note, Louis' Cool Yule, Ramsey Lewis' LPs, Hawk playing Greensleeves, Dexter's Have Yourself a Merry Litttle Christmas, King Cole's Christmas Song, Guaraldi's Chuck LP, Bill Evans' SC is Comin' to Town, Jimmy Smith's We Three Kings, Jug's Christmas Song, Bobby Timmons' Winter Wonderland (Chet's too)... Obviously I could go on all night

I'll stop, though. I dig Christmas music that doesn't suck.