Christmas music

Tom in RI

I have lots of Christmas CDs, most of them jazz or "jazzy" ones.

There's only one which is way up there, heads above the rest (... without counting I would say I have about 40 X-mas CDs and many of the ones mentioned above):

B00000B88L.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Bugge Wesseltoft. It's Snowing on My Piano. Act 1997

Tracks:

1.It's Snowing On My Piano

2.In Dulce Jubilo

3.Mitt Hjerte Alltid Vanker

4.Deilig Er Jorden

5.O Little Town Of Bethlehem

6.Du Groenne,Glitrende Tre

7.Det Kimer Naa Til Julefest

8.What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)

9.Kimer,I Klokker

10.Es Ist Ein Ros Entsprungen

11.Stille Nacht

12.Into Eternal Silence

It's the most lyrical, soothing and wonderful CD I have in my collection., So much so that I even play it in the middle of the summer. I've given it away as a present at least 70 or 80 times since 1997 and have yet to meet a single person who wasn't taken by this recording. Absolutely wonderful, and highly recommended.

It's a solo piano recording. Skip the title track and start with track 2 ... and enjoy. Marvelous sparse improvisation that I find stunning every time I hear this CD (which is really very often).

Give this one a try. In my collection it is simply also one of the very best CDs I have. It's one of the very, very few I never get tired of. Not even remotely.

Cheers!

P.S.: This is not at all representative of what Wesseltoft usually plays ... electronic jazz which can and sometimes does border on dub music.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Xmas tune resides on this disc:

626.gif

Roosevelt Sykes: Dresser Drawers

Got my baby a new dresser for Christmas

And she let ramble all in her drawers

And she let me feel all around in her drawers

I might wrinkle her linens, but I looking for her Santa Clause...

:w:tup

Have you heard Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller) do his version of that? One of my faves ...

Also, I'm a sucker for "2000 Miles" by the Pretenders.

I don't like cheesy jazz christmas tunes! My favorite Christmas listening is Bach's Christmas Oratorio. And not the jazz version!

Christmas songs, in and of themselves, are standards just like Cole Porter, the Gershwins, etc. And I happen to like many of those themes/heads quite a bit, regardless of the season. The way I see it, whether or not a jazzy Christmas tune is cheesy is the responsibility of the perfrormer and not the tune itself.

My favourites:

B0000253CH.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg Coope Boyes and Simson - 'A Garland of Carols'

nmcd21.JPG

Coope Boyes and Simson - 'Fire & Sleet & Candlelight'

41.JPG

('Can We Have Christmas Now?' Sari & Mari Kaasinen)

Individually two tracks haunt me:

'Shepherds Arise' off the album 'The Mysteries' performed by various people in the Home Service/Albion Band.

'In the Bleak Midwinter' - an absolutely exquisite version of Holst's tune from Henry Lowther's Stillwaters disc, 'I.D.'

id.jpg

One of my favourite discs with this lovely little carol tucked away at the end.

I don't care much for jazzy Christmas music and have no favorite. But sometime when the mood is right I'll play a 10-incher I found a few years ago:

Urbie Green and his All-Stars A Cool Yuletide

The All Stars were Joe Wilder, Green, Al Cohn, Al Epstein, Buddy Weed, Mundell Lowe, Milt (he still was Milton) Hinton and Jimmie Crawford.

Arrangements are credited to Charlie Shirley who I had never heard of before (the notes indicate he wrote for various bands including Stan Kenton, Ray Antony, Sam Donahue, etc.

The Xmas classics include 'Jingle Bells', 'White Christmas', 'Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer' among others. Fun, swinging and unpretentious album.

The 1954 (?) session was recorded for the X label.

My favorite Christmas recording is the Roches We Three Kings, but I wouldn't want to leave out:

John Fahey's The New Possibility - Guitar Soli Christmas Album (Rhino CD) - minus one track due to time limitations, and John Fahey: Christmas Guitar (Rounder) - 1982 rerecordings of some of the same material - but well worth hearing, and John Fahey: Popular Songs of Christmas & New Year's (Rounder).

New England Christmastide (North Star) - "Traditional carols and melodies performed on authentic instruments in the spirit of old New England" - their description. I'm not sure if there are any unauthentic instruments in this world, but this is very fine listening.

Plus a couple of Rhino collections: Blue Yule - Holiday blues sides, including Eddie C. Campbell's "Santa's Messin' with the Kid", Texas Pete Mayes' "Christmas Holidays", and Poppa Hop Wilson's "Merry Christmas Darling".

and Hipster's Holiday, with Babs Gonsales' "Be-Bop Santa Claus".

I added two new ones to my collection this year. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. It has two versions of Jingle Bells and the hidden bonus track immediately became my favorite version of the tune.

Also I bought one called "Christmas Gumbo" a brand new compilation featuring Sonny Landreth w/the Dixie Cups, Irma Thomas,Bo Dollis,the Subdudes,Aaron Neville and others. It's an absolute jewel.

Others you can't go wrong with IMO are the Roomful Of Blues,Ella Fitzgerald and the Blind Boys of Alabama. The new Harry Connick cd "Harry For The Holidays" has some nice arrangements.

• 11 months later...

Up for a couple new additions:

Diana Krall's Christmas Songs

I've been enjoying this one, and John Clayton's arrangements sound great.

June Christy's This Time Of Year

I wasn't even aware of this one until recently. Pete Rugolo arrangements and kind of a melancholy vibe to the whole thing which I happen to like.

I get burned out on Christmas music by Dec. 25th, so I get started early.

Any other new additions that are worthy of perusal?h07376p0pkv.jpgh11210cjij9.jpg

Edited by Free For All