Pat Metheny Group The Way Up

CJ Shearn

What elements of "Secret Story" did you hear?

sweeping, lush, cinematic-like unabashed beauty. as the sample began, the kalimba sounding percsussion which opens the sample is used. a similar sound is contained in one of my very favorite metheny compositions in this vein: cathedral in a suitcase, which i never tire of. additionally, the way up is a one-piece suite, which is something that mentheny was approaching with secret story. when i saw the group twice on that tour they preformed the recording in its entirety.

bluerin mentioned speaking of now, which has its moments, but definitely isn't a great PMG record in my book. additionally, the mastering sounds very off to me. my friends at WB (now defunct), the issuing label, mentioned something going awry with its production. ?

from the appearance of his site and the packaging, i think nonesuch will do an unparalleled job with metheny.

one thing's for sure, i'm certainly looking forward to their reissuing the geffen catalog. *those* are the masterpieces in need, just as WB did with lyle mays titles...

but is that clip great or what?

-e-

I'm not sure, but its the only version on a boot from 1977-80

Here's the info that I have:

07. Unidentified #4

08:58 (Madison, Wisconsin, May 28, 1978)

This is a rarely, or once-played, ballad taken from the radio broadcast from Bunky's, and is

almost certainly a Metheny or Metheny-Mays original. Several tapes of the broadcast exist, but

it was an original 1978 cassette from an anonymous donor that was the only one found to contain

this tune in its entirety, if at all. This lone source, unfortunately, has two damaged sections,

which you will hear. An upgrade is fervently sought. In the set, the tune appeared between

"The Epic" and "Jaco."   

I found these 2005 US tour dates on the DOWNBEAT webside:

The Pat Metheny Group is set to tour the United States and Canada in February and March on the heels of its Nonesuch Records debut release, The Way Up. The album, set for a Jan. 25, 2005, release, consists of a continuous 68-minute composition written by guitarist Metheny and his longtime collaborator/pianist Lyle Mays.

“This is our most ambitious undertaking ever as a group--and we have never been so excited about a project,” Metheny said about the Group’s 12th studio album. “This record takes every aspect of the band to a new level.

Dates for the Pat Metheny Group tour in support of The Way Up are:

Feb. 18: Toronto, Hummingbird Theater

Feb. 19: Detroit, Fox Theater

Feb. 20: Chicago, Chicago Theater

Feb. 21: Milwaukee, Pabst Theater

Feb. 22: Minneapolis, Orchestra Hall

Feb. 25: Vancouver, B.C., Queen Elizabeth

Feb. 26: Portland, Ore., Roseland

Feb. 27: Seattle, Paramount Theater

March 1: Davis, Calif., Mondavi Center

March 2: Santa Cruz, Calif., Civic Center

March 3: Oakland, Calif., Paramount Theater

March 4: Los Angeles, Universal Amphitheater

March 5: San Diego, Spreckles Theater

March 6: Chandler, Ariz., Center for the Performing Arts

March 8: Salt Lake City, Kingsbury Hall

March 9: Denver, Paramount Theater

March 11: St. Louis, Pagent Theater

March 12: Kansas City, Mo., Uptown Theater

March 13: Ft. Worth, Texas, Nokia Live

March 14: Houston, Verizon Center

March 17: Clearwater, Fla., Ruth Eckerd Hall

March 18: Boca Raton, Fla., Mizner Park Amphitheater

March 19: Lake Buena Vista, Fla., House of Blues

March 20: Atlanta, Symphony Hall

March 22: Richmond, Va., Chrysler Hall

March 23: Norfolk, Va., Landmark Theater

March 24: Purchase, N.Y., SUNY Purchase

March 25: Philadelphia, Tower Theater

March 26: Boston, Orpheum Theater

March 28: Washington, D.C., Lisner Auditorium

March 29: Washington, D.C., Lisner Auditorium

March 30: New Brunswick, N.J., State Theater

April 1: New York City, Beacon Theater

April 2: New York City, Beacon Theater

I'm curious when he'll come over to Europe. The last time I saw him live was back in 2001 or 2002 together with Michael Brecker, Bill Stewart and Larry Goldings.

Don't kill me for this, but after having seen PM live in the beginning 80s, which was a major revelation, and after having been an avid listener for almost 20 years, PM doesn't tell me much anymore. It's interesting, perhaps, but there's too much of the same stuff going on all the time. I find it boring and I'm quite disappointed in the new clip posted. Yawn.

Still, one of PM's CDs is an all-time favourite (and maybe not one many people like): Pat Metheny. A Map of the World. OST. Warner Bros. 1999.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62