Your 5 favorite JAZZ purchaces on CD in 2004.

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head, and counting only those released this year or in the last couple of years:

Don Byron, "Ivey-Divey" (Blue Note)

Liberty Ellman, "Tactiles" (Pi)

Ethan Iverson & Bill McHenry, "Live at Small's" (FSNT)

Tony Malaby, "Adobe" (Sunnyside)

Jocob Young, "Evening Falls" (ECM)

FWIW, i wouldn't bother with the nicola conte. i found it to be very unfocused and unsatisfying. a huge comedown, for me, after jet sounds revisited...

-e-

ah, but that only applies if you are seeking another return of the son of st. germain, which this album will certainly not deliver.- those are the weak tracks on this album IMHO. cut those out and you are left with a very nice album indeed.

Here are the five purchases of 2004 that impressed me the most:

Roberto Juan Rodriguez - Baila! Gitano Baila! (Tzadik)

Look at my avatar. Highly original Cuban stylings with Jewish and Gipsy touches, lots of musical humor.

Moacir Santos - Coisas (Forma/Universal)

Wanted to hear that for decades - and I was not disappointed! Beautiful!!!!

Dario Deidda - 3 From The Ghetto (GoJazz)

Great Italian Jazz beyong stylistic borders.

Louis Couperin - Harpsichord music played by Skip Sempé (Alpha)

beautifully played and recorded

Pancho Quinto - Rumba Sin Fronteras (Riverboat)

Some of the most creative Cuban percussion you have ever heard.

Sorry, I will not / cannot restrict myself to jazz ..... -_-

Edited by mikeweil

Chris Potter - Lift: Live At The Village Vanguard (Sunnyside)

521243.jpg

What he does with the sax intro to Mingus' "Boogie Stop Shuffle," is enough to get this disc by itself. I love his compositions too (especially "What You Wish" and "Lift," the title track). Any band with Bill Stewart and Scott Colley is gonna cook.

Roy Haynes - Birds of A Feather (Dreyfus Jazz)

Birds%20of%20a%20Feathe_web.jpg

Every cat on this album is sick. And who can resist Bird's tunes. You can't go wrong with Kenny Garrett, Roy Hargrove, Dave Kikoski and Davel Holland. The old man has still got the fire!!!

Jean-Michel Pilc - Follow Me (Dreyfus Jazz)

FollowMe_cover.web.jpg

A really amazing set of solo piano from this Frenchman. A lot of standards - including "My Favorite Things," "Autumn Leaves," and "St. Louis Blues." His reharmonizations are the work of a true genius.

Burton Greene - Live at Grasland (Drimala)

DR0935medcvr.jpg

This is really a beautiful solo program by this Florida native who has lived in Europe for quite some time now. It's very meditative. Not as free as I thought it would be. And the liners explaining the names of the tunes really cracked me up.

Don Byron - Ivey-Divey (Blue Note)

B0002UY8W4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm so happy Blue Note and Don got these cats together. What a threesome. Ralph Alessi continues his work with Byron in great form on the quintet pieces. And the theme was really cool too.

Edited by cannonball-addict

Red Snapper: Paul Murphy at CBS (Cadence Jazz Records) - Good playing by all, but most of all, a chance to hear more Jimmy Lyons. His connection to Bird is clearer than ever on these recordings.

Warne Marsh: Quartet at Dana Point (VSOP) and All Music (Nessa). Hearing All Music with the unissued tracks was hearing a new record.

Cecil Taylor & Italian Instabile Orchestra: The Owner of the River Bank (Enja)

Warne Marsh: ALL MUSIC (Nessa) - Hearing it for the first time was a trip. Some of the stuff Warne does on the "It's You or No One"-based tune (and alternates) is mind-boggling. The four alternates, and one false start, of that tune are incredible and cool in that you see the final product (ie. master take) develop. Lou Levy is killer on this one too. And Larry Kart AND Jim Sangrey contribute liner notes.

Duke Ellington: PIANO IN THE FOREGROUND (Legacy) - Great sound, great playing. I'm gaining more and more respect and admiration for Duke each day.

Jackie McLean: RIGHT NOW (BN) - Some of the tunes on this one find Jackie in absolutely burning form. He grabs you by the nuts with his ferocious solos and your concentration doesn't waver a bit. The rhythm section kills as well.

Ahmad Jamal: CHAMBER MUSIC OF THE NEW JAZZ (Verve) - Sheer beauty. Swings like a mutherfucker. That conga/guitar comp. is the shit too. I can't tire of listening to this stuff.

Sonny Rollins: ALFIE (Impulse) - This one has long been one of Jim Sangrey's favorites and after hearing it, I soon found out why. The first tune in particular has a crazy extended solo by the leader.

Edited by pryan

Okay...just went through the shelves, hopefully remembering what I bought this year and what was from the end of last year. I must admit, the 'no box set' rule altered things somewhat. So here we go, in alphabetical order...

1. Brotzmann/Uuskyla Friis Nielson: Live at Nefertiti -ayler records-Strongly recommended by people on this board, and were they ever right!

2. 'Die Like a Dog' Quartet: From Valley to Valley-eremite- My favorite Brotzmann without a doubt. This is the disc I've been grabbing this year on those days when my energy level is so high that I can't resist seeing how high I can force it...

3. Gerry Mulligan: The Original Quartet with Chet Baker-Pacific Jazz-One of those cornerstone discs as far as I'm concerned; glad I grabbed this off our beloved 'Looking/Offering' forum, where I also found...

4. Greg Osby: Symbols of Light (A Solution)-Blue Note-This one turned out to be pricey. Oh, it was fairly (and cheaply!) priced, but it pushed me over the edge and on an Osby buying spree. No complaints though!

5. Malachi Thompson and Africa Brass: Blue Jazz-Delmark-Heard a cut on KCSM and was instantly hooked. Thank goodness buying a jazz disc on the basis of one cut isn't like buying a pop disc on the basis of one cut! A nice one, and highly recommended!

But enough of this; now I can go back and read the thread and see what you guys picked! :g

Brooke Sofferman - One Stone Two Birds...the leader plays the drums and writes all the music for this band. The rhythms are interesting, the meloides often catchy, and Jerry Bergonzi kicks ass on the sax. Also there's one track with this woman kind of grunting and moaning like she's having the best sex of her life, and then her moans become the backbone for the rhythm of the tune...that is a hot piece of music.

Vijay Iyer - Panoptic Modes...I learned about this disc from a thread somewhere on this message board...thanks to whoever recommended it. The music reminds me of Coltrane/Tyner at times because of the fire and emotion that I hear in it. It reminds me also of Steve Coleman's music because of the relentless rhythms.

Alex Sipiagin - Mirrors...A Criss Cross CD with one of my favorite pianists, Dave Kikoski, and Dave Binney, an alto saxer whose music I just love. I've listened to several Sipiagin/Kikoski collaborations, and if nothing else, they feature hard fast swingin'. Mirrors is no exception.

Andrew Hill - Dusk and The Day The World Stood Still...both are beautiful, and both have been highly recommended by other board members.

Some others that I enjoyed....

Jason Moran - Modernistic

Charlie Hunter - Right Now Move

Fly - Fly