Frank Sinatra

bebopbob

I have been exploring a great many jazz vocalists over the last several years but I always come back to Frank. For me, only Billie Holiday comes close. Having somewhat neglected the Columbia Years, I bought the 12 CD complete box and have been working my way through this recently. There is a lot of wonderful stuff here that is causing me to re-evaluate this period, I think even Lon might enjoy some of this material :) .

• 2 years later...

the sinatra dorsey music is fabulous

where are you is fabulous

only the lonely is fabulous

the concert sinatra is superfabulous

there are dozens and dozens of other wonderful sinatra recordings

my only prob with frankie was that he misjudged :rolleyes: when to quit by several decades.

thanks for the birthday note. it just might be a good time to have a sinatra weekend.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Kill two birds with one stone and celebrate Frank's life by spinning his wonderful Jenkins arranged Christmas album!

great idea. it's close at hand.

...and to fully catch frankie's spirits, a bottle of his beloved jack daniel's single barrel should be close at hand, as well.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

...my only prob with frankie was that he misjudged :rolleyes: when to quit by several decades...

I often wished that instead of doing a Rod McKuen album that he'd done a Leonard Cohen album. Imagine Frank doing "Story of Isaac."

Also, I wish Frank had done a version of "If You Go Away" by Jacques Brel...

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Been bingeing on Frank lately. I got a deal last night (and I mean a DEAL) on the Dorsey/Sinatra box, and just ordered a bundle of Capitol-related material from BMG today. Hoping to eventually pick up that Columbia box as well.

Now playing: ONLY THE LONELY.

hey ghost, with those tastes, you have the makings of an accomplished alcoholic!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...my only prob with frankie was that he misjudged :rolleyes: when to quit by several decades...

I often wished that instead of doing a Rod McKuen album that he'd done a Leonard Cohen album. Imagine Frank doing "Story of Isaac."

I think a Frank Sings Leonard Cohen album would have been sensational! Too bad we can't raise the dead...

I think a Frank Sings Leonard Cohen album would have been sensational! Too bad we can't raise the dead...

Sure they can. Tupac, Notorious BIG... hell, even Nat King Cole!!! ;)

If Sinatra had only done SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS/SWING EASY, SONGS FOR SWINGING LOVERS, and ONLY THE LONELY, that would be enough to solidify him as a legend in my book. Also dig his work with the Dorsey Orchestra. But the real jewel in the rough is his SINATRA/JOBIM album.

Happy birthday, Chairman! Hopefully, he and Phil Hartman are leading another round of "The Sinatra Group" up there! :g