XANADU Records

Leeway

Here 'tis:

c3548.jpg

Westlake Bounce - The Music Of John Graas

Philly Jo Jones & Paul Chambers Meet the West Coasters

Featuring: John Graas (frh), Jack Montrose (ts), Bill Perkins (ts, bars), Paul Moer (p), Paul Chambers (b), Philly Joe Jones (d)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 508

PRICE:  9.80 €

John Graas, one of the first jazz French horn soloists and an excellent composer who sought to combine together jazz and classical music, recorded fairly regularly as a leader during 1953-1958. The opening three tracks originally formed part of the second "Jazz Lab" album recorded under John's name. Having Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones in the studio gave the band an extra frisson in it's interpretation.

At this point the planned session ended but Fresh Sound have now been able to include a previously un-issued track, a duet version of "I'm confessin'that I love you" played by the two members of the Miles Davis Quintet.

The following two days were given over to the recording of an album under Paul Chambers' leadership. This was essentially the same group minus Graas. But he made his presence felt by contributing distinctive compositions and arrangements.

Tracklisting:

1. Cluster (Graas) 6:07

2. Mood (Graas) 3:20

3. Canon-Friar (Graas) 5:30

4. I’m Confessin’ (Neighburg-Daugherty-Reynolds) 5:08

5. Westlake Bounce (Graas) 5:57

6. Mulliganesque (Graas) 6:10

7. Motif (Graas) 3:54

8. My Buddy (Donaldson) 2:31

9. Canon Ball (Graas) 5:21

10. Mood (Graas) 2:23

11. There Will Never Be Another You (Warren-Gordon)

12. The Song Is Ended (Berlin)

13. Neat Foot (Moer)

Recorded Hollywood, January 21, 22 and 23, 1957

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Joe Farrell "Skateboard Park" album IS really good. Probably the last great thing he did.

I disagree, check this out:

f99960cpy8s.jpg

The album that is!!!!! :D

It was recorded 4 years after Skateboard Park and

is very much a straight ahead hard bop quartet date.

Joe plays tenor, soprano and some flute on it.

I'll knock your socks off if the cover doesn't do the trick!!

Don

That Joe Farrell "Skateboard Park" album IS really good. Probably the last great thing he did.

I disagree, check this out:

f99960cpy8s.jpg

The album that is!!!!! :D

It was recorded 4 years after Skateboard Park and

is very much a straight ahead hard bop quartet date.

Joe plays tenor, soprano and some flute on it.

I'll knock your socks off if the cover doesn't do the trick!!

Don

I'll certainly keep my EYE out for that one! Sounds like the music is good, too. Thanks for the heads-up, jd!

I believe there has been some question of the legality of the CDs issued of the old Xanadus, but you'll have to ask Don Schlitten about that (he's listed in the Bronx, or was last time I checked). Some of the best stuff, for me, on Xanadu, were the various Hampton Hawes "live" recordings, which showed a much different Hawes than the one on most of the Contemporary Issues, IMHO. On the Contemporarys he always sounded rather mechanical to me - the Xanadus established, to me, what a truly great pianist he could be. He's on some with his trio, also on a great Wardell Gray - and I think he's on the OTHER side of that Paul Chambers, if I am recalling correctly -

The Sam Noto "Act One" is a very fine session that also featurs my old hometown friend, saxophonist Joe Romano, ( also Barry Harris and Billy Higgins ) who played a lifetime with Woody and Buddy and is still alive and cookin'! Here is Scott Yanow's review below:

For his second of four Xanadu dates as a leader, the excellent bop trumpeter Sam Noto meets up with his old friend Joe Romano (who sticks here to tenor), pianist Barry Harris, bassist Sam Jones and drummer Billy Higgins. They perform five of Noto's originals, some of which are based on the chord changes of familiar standards, and a beautiful three-song ballad medley. All of the musicians play up to par, making one wish that Noto's Xanadu sets would be reissued on CDs. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide

A Joe Romano Link

Edited by marcello

Just got hold of the four Sam Noto LPs on Xanadu. Gave 'Entrance!' a listen, pretty nice quartet date with Barry Harris. All of these were in mint and in two cases, still sealed. Can't understand why old copies of the Penguin Guide gave these Noto sessions such a low rating (around the 2 stars level). They got that one wrong.

Also picked up Volume 1 of the 'Montreux' set for some Xmas listening.

I wonder if Sam Noto is still actively playing in the Toronto/Buffalo area?

Edited by sidewinder

Just got hold of the four Sam Noto LPs on Xanadu. Gave 'Entrance!' a listen, pretty nice quartet date with Barry Harris. All of these were in mint and in two cases, still sealed. Can't understand why old copies of the Penguin Guide gave these Noto sessions such a low rating (around the 2 stars level). They got that one wrong.

Also picked up Volume 1 of the 'Montreux' set for some Xmas listening.

I wonder if Sam Noto is still actively playing in the Toronto/Buffalo area?

Where can I get my hands on some of these sealed Xanadu LPs? I've seen them listed but not in a while. I'd love get a set of the live Montreux LPs so that I can test out my new turntable.

Later,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Was in the San Antonio (I-10/Huebner) location of Half-Price Books tonight and found a bunch of Xanadus priced at $4.98. Raney/Clark, Gordon/Mitchell/Cohn/Noto, Harris (solo). Many copies of each. Not sure if other H-PB locations have more, but I got the impression they must have had a bulk purchase.

Was in the San Antonio (I-10/Huebner) location of Half-Price Books tonight and found a bunch of Xanadus priced at $4.98. Raney/Clark, Gordon/Mitchell/Cohn/Noto, Harris (solo). Many copies of each. Not sure if other H-PB locations have more, but I got the impression they must have had a bulk purchase.

I also found several Xanadu CDs recently in the Dallas (Northwest Highway) Half Price Books, for $4.99.

In recent years my estimation of the Xanadu label has grown substantially. The label was dedicated to quality jazz with very few (if any) commercial sellout releases. I have most of the catalog (which fortunately can still be had for cheap), but still need to fill in a few holes.

Favorites:

"Al Cohn's America"

Tal Farlow - "Fuersrt Set" & "Second Set"

Barry Harris "Plays Tadd Dameron"

Jimmy Raney - "Solo"

Wardell Gray -Live in Hollywood"

The Sam Noto albums

Xanadu at Montreux series

Just to name a few from a fine catalog.

jack

• 11 months later...