XANADU Records

Leeway

why they so good

Because Don Schlitten was a producer with a clear vision, at least when it came to music.

Not quite - I've been told he wouldn't use RVG's studio because Rudy let him smoke marijuana. which is why most of his productions are engineered by Richard Alderson, who didn't mind.

MG

Did you mean "because Rudy wouldn't let him smoke marijuana" in the studio? Otherwise, I don't see how "Alderson...didn't mind" makes sense?

Yes, missed out the crucial bit.

MG

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked for Schlitten years ago - middle 1970s - and he told me his favorite engineer was ___ Goodman (can't think of his first name, but I'm at work and he's on the credits to many Xanadu albums) - whom I think work for RCA/BMG (he later did a fair amount of CD reissue work, I think) - someone should check the liners, as I'm not even 100 percent sure I'm getting the engineer's last name correctly - I think he also may have done some work for Riverside - my point, however, is that, knowing Schlitten, while there may have been other factors, he used that engineer because he liked the sound he got on those "live to 2 track" recordings, something which by now is largely a lost art - and that he may have thought Rudy was over-rated -

Edited by AllenLowe

definitely - as a matter of fact I remember listening to Barry Harris plays Tad Dameron, I think it was, with Gene Taylor on bass - I worked with Taylor once or twice and he played some weird notes - maybe wrong, maybe just his style, I never wanted to ask - and on that LP, because of the direct-to-board hookup, it just sticks out like a sore thumb -

definitely - as a matter of fact I remember listening to Barry Harris plays Tad Dameron, I think it was, with Gene Taylor on bass - I worked with Taylor once or twice and he played some weird notes - maybe wrong, maybe just his style, I never wanted to ask - and on that LP, because of the direct-to-board hookup, it just sticks out like a sore thumb -

I have that also and thought the same thing. Not the best bassist for that trio.

Intonation problems?

I'm not opposed to bass direct per se, but it has to be incorporated into the overall sonic landscape (like on CTI) and that landscape should be tailored to fit the music (ditto).

On the type of music that Xanadu tended to release, it did neither. But the music's usually swell in spite of it, so I don't let it ruin my day.

• 2 months later...

I've been on a huge Xanadu binge this week — really listening closely to the albums I have on this label (not many), and just enjoying the hell out of them.

One thing, and this may already be obvious to some here — if you've tended to think that Al Cohn and Barry Harris are merely "excellent" musicians, listen to their Xanadu records. The Xanadus are by far my favorite Cohn on record, and Harris's touch on these records has a sensitivity to it that doesn't seem to surface as much on earlier recordings.

In my opinion, both Cohn and Harris are examples of musicians who improved by a considerable margin with age — as opposed to just hitting a comfortable plateau and staying there. Their work in the 70's (what I've heard, and I want to hear more) just knocks me out. I have nearly all of Cohn's RCA work, but for me it pales, and by a lot, in comparison with his Xanadu work.

Before I forget, here's a pretty good Barry Harris discography, with cover scans included.

Would anyone mind posting some Xanadu cover scans here? I'm looking for three in particular:

Ronnie Cuber: Eleventh Day of Aquarius

Sam Noto: Notes to You

Various: Late Flight to Dakar

WOW! I really like your Ronnie Cuber cover. I found the Aquarius LP sealed about 8 months ago and burned it immediately to CD. I scanned the front/back covers but it's not the best pic. Mind if I use your version? Jazzshrink, do have a burn of this great LP or do you need one?