XANADU Records

Leeway

Oh -- no. Can't -- stop -- the -- finger -- on -- the -- caps lock.

Must -- resist -- must -- refr...

XANADU IS THE BEST!!!! ONE TIME I WAS JUST CHILLING IN MY DORM ROOM AND ALL OF A SUDDEN MY FRIEND RUDY COMES IN AND SAYS OK WHAT IS THE BEST LABEL THAT WAS ACTIVE IN THE 70'S AND I'M LIKE ALL OVER IT SO I SAY DUDE YOU READ MY MIND IT'S XAN-A-DOOOOOO!

Ahem. Note to self: log out soon.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any words on Frank Butler's Xanadu work?

I remember a side of his w/Joe Farrell that was quite nice. Don't have that one, but I do have another one of his that's "ok".

Teddy Edwards was also on that album with Joe Farrell:

WheelinAndDealin.jpg

Frank Butler's first album for Xanadu was 'The Stepper' with Jack Montrose, Dolo Coker and Monty Budwig. I like the energy on those two sessions.

Butler remains so underrated. Still have a passion for his work.

I was in LA for the Olympic Games in 1984. I was pretty busy with the Games coverage and had little time for any 'outside' activities. But wanted to check what Butler was doing then and found a Frank Butler listed on the LA phonebook. Wasn't sure it was the Butler I was seeking. Called several times but there was no answer.

Found later that he passed away four days before the Games opening :(

I don't know, but Rudy's objection may have been to the smoke, rather than to the principle of doing drugs.

After all, it was his and Mrs vG's home.

Is it true that the van Gelder family lived/lives there?

It is not that I am doubting you, I really don't know.

The reason I ask is that I have the Google Earth location of the Englewood Cliffs studio and it does not look much like a residential area.

Is it true that the van Gelder family lived/lives there?

It is not that I am doubting you, I really don't know.

The reason I ask is that I have the Google Earth location of the Englewood Cliffs studio and it does not look much like a residential area.

Rudy's is the brown structure on a large wooded lot. The living quarters are at the bottom of the image.

All the structures around his property came after he built the studio. It was still sparsely developed when I first went there 30+ years ago.

Sonny Criss-Saturday Morning

Barry Harris-Plays B.H.

Got 'em :tup:tup:tup:tup

Anybody have a line on Xanadu cds?

Agreed on the Criss! :tup I picked it up just recently on eBay, new Japanese LP-CD for $15 plus S/H.

I've never seen "BH plays BH" for sale anywhere. :(

Have been able to find a number of Xanadu titles by watching eBay. One guy who actively posts on this forum seems to have somewhat of a line on Xanadu discs...

The guy from jazzmusicdepot.com who made at least four separate posts at various times in the Offering forum for Xanadu LPs still has a number for sale. I've never ordered from him, but I think a member above (in this thread) has.

I got a half dozen titles off jazzmusicdepot. No problems. All were sealed and thus very nice.

The guy from jazzmusicdepot.com who made at least four separate posts at various times in the Offering forum for Xanadu LPs still has a number for sale. I've never ordered from him, but I think a member above (in this thread) has.

I got a half dozen titles off jazzmusicdepot. No problems. All were sealed and thus very nice.

I've bought some too. No problems.

MG

MG

Tom is a good guy (I have sold him stuff for years) and he gets the records direct from Schlitten. Have no fear.

MG

Tom is a good guy (I have sold him stuff for years) and he gets the records direct from Schlitten. Have no fear.

Best recommendation yet.

MG

one of the lps offered on that depot site is al haig live in hollywood- all i could find in the sonny criss discog. was this:

Al Haig Live in Hollywood (Xanadu 206)

Chet Baker (tp) Ted Ottison (tp -3) Sonny Criss (as) Jack Montrose (ts) Al Haig (p) Dave Bryant (b) Larry Bunker (d)

"Trade Winds Club", Inglewood, CA, August 4, 1952

1. There Will Never Be Another You

2. How High the Moon

3. Sweet Georgia Brown

is the rest a trio session?

The full material on the Xanadu is also available on that Fresh Sound 'Chet Baker Live at the Trade Winds 1952'

trade.jpg

Title: Chet Baker/ Al Haig Live In Hollywood

Chet Baker Live At The Tradewinds

Label: Xanadu 206,Fresh Sounds FSCD 1001

Original issue:

Number of Tunes: 7

MD Recording Date(s):August 4,1952 Trade Winds Club Inglewood Ca

Personnel:Chet Baker(tp)Ted Ottison(tp)Sonny Criss(as)Jack Montrose(ts)

Les Thomson(hca)Al Haig(p)Dave Bryant(b)Larry Bunker(d)

There Will Never be Another You 7:00

Bernie's Tune 6:56

My Old Flame 5:22

Avalon 5:52

I'll Remember April 7:29

How High The Moon 11:12

Sweet Georgia Brown 5:43

Edited by brownie

• 6 months later...

The reason why Don himself didn't issue his albums on CD is that he detests CDs, at least that's what he told me and I recall detecting a measure of passion in his voice.

A good reason if he feels that strongly. But you would think that if he had such a love of vinyl he would have used a decent pressing plant to press his LPs. I bought some Xanadus that were wretched pressings. Not all were like that, but enough to make me think twice about buying Xanadu LPs.