Who Is Your Favorite Soul Singer?

paul secor

I didn't want to make this a poll, even though those are fun. There are just too many possibilities here, and I didn't want to leave any candidates out. So name your favorite, and add some thoughts as to why, if you choose.

I have to go with Percy Sledge. There's something about the sound of his voice that has always grabbed me. Beyond the fact that he makes me believe what he's singing, his voice has a pleading quality which I love. There's also something about his voice that I can't quite pin down. It almost has an organ-like quality. He can be singing in a high range and it sounds like he's not, because of the undertones I hear. I guess if I were a musician, or at least a better writer, I could describe this more clearly, but that's the best I can do.

Anyway, Percy's my number one.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard a decision is that !

If i HAD to choose my from my favourites it would have to be Marvin Gaye (a close call between him & Otis Redding).

Love all the classic albums (whats goin on / lets get it on / I want toy etc ) but my favourite is definately Here My Dear . The songs of a man & a marriage in turmoil.

Even the more commercial tracks like Chained - what a voice

Edited by Gary

For me it's either Aretha or Marvin. Both of them just reach out of the speakers and HIT ME. And both of them are such master technicians and all around master musicians. And they have the spirit, or the spiritual conflict, or something. . . .

You know, when I lived in M'Babane, Swaziland at the close of the 'sixties, Percy Sledge was THE MAN there. He was the American soul artist they knew most and loved, because I believe he had come through there on a tour and just knocked them dead!

This was the big one:

percy-when.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I haven't heard any Ike Willis, to be honest.

From Ike's own web-site (http://www.ikewillis.com)

Ike Willis joined Frank Zappa's band in 1977 and took his place for more than ten years as singer (and guitarist) for some of the greatest bands you never heard in your life.

Now if you've heard Zappa's bands, then you know Ike Willis. Ike is featured on nearly 30 Zappa CDs and is most popular for his seminal vocal work on such works as "Thing-Fish" and "Joe's Garage, Acts I, II (& III)".

Female - Aretha

Male - Sam Cooke, the original "soul" singer

If you haven't checked it out, please rent "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" on DVD. It's the story of the band that plays on all those great Motown hits. It gives a lot of insight to Marvin and other Motown artist. A truly great movie with great music and a very touching story.

My vote goes to Otis Redding. I had never explored his recordings until a couple years ago. Wow! I was missing out.

Though many of the already listed artists are up there for me too!

Especially Marvin. His Let's Get it On definitely has the SOUL and the groove. Here My Dear is the coolest divorce settlement ever. Ouch!

Donny Hathaway. :bwallace: He wrote one of the coolest tunes ever ("The Ghetto"), and was a great singer. Great stuff like Extension Of A Man, and especially Live on which he plays a killer Wurlitzer solo on "The Ghetto"!

Edited by Kari S