The most consistent Blue Note 50's and 60's leader

Alon Marcus

Many Blue Note records are featuring teams of superb jazzmen and led by one of them. Reading on a Freddie Hubbard thread about his performances as leader and sideman made me think about the different tasks of performing on an album and creating an album, which is actually a long suite of tunes.

You have to make it balanced in tempi, tonalities (major/minor) and moods. Choose or compose the right compositions. Choose the most appropriate sidemen and give them enough space for expression. Some artists (like Miles) have a special talent for creating an album rather than just playing or composing. Blue Note recorded many terific albums led by different people and many mediocre ones almost with the same teams.

I think that Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock were the most succesfull in creating a string of albums consistent in their high quality.

First I thought I'd start a poll but then I changed my mind. First, I myself can't pick a single artist. I'd rather give examples. Second I don't want to create a superficial poll, forgetting players that I'm not familiar with or disregarding the ones I don't like.

I would like to hear your opinions who were the artists the created good albums and what are those albums (and the bad ones too!).

My first choices are "Speak no Evil" by Wayne Shorter, "Speak like a child" by Herbie and Lee Morgan's "Search for the new land". Three superb albums IMHO.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind, in terms of the sheer volume of records made combined with consistancy of quality, Jackie McLean was at or near the top. Pretty much everything that I've heard(with the exception of "Bout Soul" IMO) are must haves. He really was a cut above the rest in those days. His albums are so exciting and musically strong, yet so varied. To think that he didn't even have a working band, yet was still able to make so many great albums, is scary.

Although they didn't record as prolificly as Jackie Mac, other names in terms of consistancy that come to mind are Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, and Dexter Gordon. Lee Morgan had lots of really good albums, but quite a few duds as well.

Larry Young: Unity

Great tune selection, great band, energy all the way through, different moods throughout.

Jimmy Smith: Back at the Chicken Shack

The holy grail of groove.

Horace Silver: Blowin' the Blues Away

Nary a dull moment on this one for me.

Blakey's Indestructible might make this list also. Also Blue Train, for sure.

I think I would also have to include Takin' Off. Even the lesser-known tunes (Alone and I) are gorgeous.

edit: I see that FFA's deleted his post, which discussed consistent albums as opposed to artists. Sorry if I misread the question.

Edited by Big Wheel

Well, if it's consistent in high quality, I'd have to agree with your choice of Wayne Shorter, z!

I completely agree. Have to throw in McCoy Tyner as well, and (if we're willing to consider a shorter streak of 5) Joe Henderson.

I could see making a case for Blakey and Silver as well, simply for the length of their runs, though not everything they did was GREAT. Guys like Hank Mobley and Lee Morgan made too much cookie-cutter stuff IMHO.

As for Jackie Mac -- impressive run but I think his earlier (pre-LFR) stuff is occasionally generic hard bop.

Guy

Hard . . .maybe my choice would be Herbie Nichols.  All the takes of the sessions are successful if you ask me . . . just brilliant stuff.

Is that 3-CD set of his stuff still in print? How's the sound on that?

Don't bother about sound, get it! It's one of the most essential sets to have! (Sound is fine, but my ears are not the ones to be trusted about that...)

ubu

Hard . . .maybe my choice would be Herbie Nichols.  All the takes of the sessions are successful if you ask me . . . just brilliant stuff.

Don't bother about sound, get it! It's one of the most essential sets to have! (Sound is fine, but my ears are not the ones to be trusted about that...)

ubu

This music is awesome, visionary, funny and sad. (A weird set of adjectives, but if you've heard the box set, you know what I mean.) Get it ASAP.

URRRGH -- I wish I could put this on my iPod right now!

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

ubu

This music is awesome, visionary, funny and sad. (A weird set of adjectives, but if you've heard the box set, you know what I mean.) Get it ASAP.

Guy

And if you like vinyl it's a common Mosaic set on Ebay, usually at almost fair prices!

The Herbie Nichols box set is still available from Blue Note; it's a nice sounding release. I sold my copy a while back and kept the Mosaic instead, which has a different, longer booklet (though the booklet in the Blue Note version is quite good, with photos I've never seen elsewhere) and a slightly different sound (I think the piano sounds better on the Mosaic, the bass sounds better on the Blue Note, just a little bit though in both cases; done by different remastering engineers).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. And as I say I think it's consistently brilliant work. I like the first 20 years of Blue Note the best really. I think Monk's and Hodes' and Bechet's work for the label come close to being that consistent, but not quite as pervasively as the Nichols. (That's how I've been feeling the last few years).

Edited by jazzbo