An early article on T Monk, "Jazz Milieu" (1944)

...isn't Johnny Hartzfield a good name for tenor saxophonist of that vintage? I imagine a guy with a big, edgy sound and lot of semi-hairy, harmonic ideas...

And some REALLY good suits that have been worn well, with some hip-ass wingtips that haven't been shined in a while!

To say nothing of a bulky-ass Conn 10M and one of those Otto Link pieces with no neck on 'em.

Yeah!

About "boston" I'll try to check, but I seem to recall Benny Carter or Coleman Hawkins or Rex Stewart saying that that's what they called a solo chorus in the Twenties.

About Horsecollar, I've now listened to what may be the only two tracks of him there are -- backing Billie Holiday on a June 1941 live recording at Mintons ("I Cried for You," "Fine and Mellow"). It's on "Harlem Odyssey" (Onyx), a 1978 grab bag of Newman material. Dan Morgenstern's notes say: "Floyd 'Horsecollar' Williams, who plays the alto obligatti behind Billie worked and recorded (though not in a solo role) with Hot Lips Page and can be found on a number of later r&b recordings. A drummer named Chick Foster whom I used to know made a demo with Horsecollar in the mid-'50s on which he played his ass off on some blues, and he is one of those semi-legends other musicians always speak of."

Horsecollar is very much in the background on the two Holiday Mintons tracks and does show some kinship to Rudy Williams. There are hints of some underlying looseness -- in relation to the beat and also in terms of letting whole phrases slip and slide a bit -- that I can imagine might have been wild in later years when he was in full flight. On the other hand, unless you were listening for hints here, you might not hear much beyond some pleasant behind-Billie noodling, which is what the situation called for.

Speaking of the Savoy Sultans, no airchecks/live recordings have ever turned up, correct? Which is too bad, if so--I have that Chronological Classics CD & like it, but I'll bet a bundle they sounded much better live.

Unfortunately there is no trace of any live recordings of the Al Cooper Savoy Sultans. Thus no real proof that the band was the Terror of the Savoy Ballroom. The band that even the Mighty Duke Ellington aggregation was afraid of competing against!

Many thanks. I've wanted to read that piece for 40 years.

40 years? You're a slow reader, Chuck!

;)

Hey! I took a "speed reading" class at the University of Iowa in 1962! Eventually you placed your book in this machine and it drew a curtain down the page to make you read faster. Then we were tested on comprehension. Learned the facts but not the flavor.

Speaking of the Savoy Sultans, no airchecks/live recordings have ever turned up, correct?  Which is too bad, if so--I have that Chronological Classics CD & like it, but I'll bet a bundle they sounded much better live.

Unfortunately there is no trace of any live recordings of the Al Cooper Savoy Sultans. Thus no real proof that the band was the Terror of the Savoy Ballroom. The band that even the Mighty Duke Ellington aggregation was afraid of competing against!

I haven´t listened to this disc, but from what I´ve read, the seven recording sessions they did for Decca weren´t very successful, were they?