Von Freeman Corner

John B

I haven't heard many of the albums that Von has released but I've really enjoyed those that I have heard. I just got a package from Chuck today and I have a new favorite Von Freeman album:

f69162a4zay.jpg

Serenade & Blues

recorded June 11, 1975

Von - ts

John Young - p

David Shipp - b

Wilbur Campbell - d

I've spun this disc two times in a row now and I am loving every minute of it! I did a search, and there didn't seem to be any one thread devoted to discussing all of Von's work, so I thought this would be a good place to start. I'll most likely grab the other disc on Nessa as well as his new album, which I can use my last free BMG disc to get.

I'd love to hear people's recommendations for other discs of his to explore, etc.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My introduction to Mr. Freeman about two years ago was Serenade & Blues as well. Since then I have picked up as many recordings as I could afford that feature Vonski and have never been disappointed. I also love the recordings on Nessa and SteepleChase, but don't sleep on the recent Premonition recordings. I also have a soft spot for the two tenor things he did with Chico.

I recall from the notes to THE IMPROVISOR that Von's European tour dates with Amina Claudine Myers ('00, '01?) were recorded. Wonder if they will ever see "official" release.

Dig, too, Von's contributions to a couple of Steve Coleman releases...

rim.gif

strata_transmigration.jpg

• 3 years later...
Guest Bill Barton

Does anyone in the Chicago area know the real scoop on Von Freeman?

I was taken aback by the following post on the Jazz Programmers List listserv:

...Just so you know, Von Freeman passed away some months ago...

Steven

Steven Briggs, President

Blue Night Records

www.bluenightrecords.com

Guest Bill Barton

Irresponsible nonsense.

Irresponsible nonsense.

Confirmed. Von is alive and well and you should let them know to stop spreading rumors otherwise.

Scared the crap out of me. I'm in Chicago and plan on calling him tomorrow.

Among other things, there's no way Von could be gone without it being all over the Chicago newspapers, which I see every day. And from there... So I'd like to know how the hell this Steven Briggs guy could have said that. I mean, he didn't even do a Google search?

Thanks for confirming this for me. That's what I thought, but not being in touch with the Chicago scene this blurb really hit me hard. I'm a big fan of Vonski. After I finish typing this I'm going to post a response to this guy on the Jazz Programmers list and include a link to this thread. This kind of rumor-mongering is indefensible.

EDIT: I've responded on the list and directly to Briggs. Kate Smith in Chicago also posted there with a confirmation that this is not true.

Edited by Bill Barton

In honor of Von being very much alive and still killin' as of my last live experience within the last month, I'll send a brand new sealed copy of Von's recent box set on Premonition Records to the first two people to post here and PM me with their address. Spread the Vonski gospel

Guest Bill Barton

In honor of Von being very much alive and still killin' as of my last live experience within the last month, I'll send a brand new sealed copy of Von's recent box set on Premonition Records to the first two people to post here and PM me with their address. Spread the Vonski gospel

Thanks for helping to dispel that nasty rumor! PM sent...