Prez' Horn

JSngry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very popular, actually. Conns were the horn of choice for many a fine player. In fact, one model is known today as the "Chu Berry model".

I think Pres played that Conn as well according to various biographical materials on him. But it can be after this particular horn exposed here.

In his biography of Coleman Hawkins 'Song of the Hawk', John Chilton recounts that Coleman Hawkins also played a Conn until his 1935 visit to the Selmer house in Paris where he was presented with a custom-built sax. The Hawk played Selmer saxophones exclusively from then on.

And folks, please note its BEUSCHER not Buescher or whatever.

Among other things, the French know how to build great saxophones.

Selmer and Beuscher instruments are Made in France!

That's the first I've heard of this "Beuscher" spelling - maybe you need to tell these folks:

http://www.saxgourmet.com/history.html

because it's very clear that the ads always spelled it Buescher. Or is there more to this than meets the eye?

Mike

Oops :huh::o:wacko:

Looks like I went at this too fast...

Gus Buescher who was a foreman at Conn factory and the creator of the original Conn saxophone founded his company

http://www.saxgourmet.com/conn__saxophones.htm

So much for Paul Beuscher France. They don't manufacture saxophones:

http://www.paul-beuscher.com/

It's a funny thing about musicians and their attachments to horns - many years ago I was working on a book project and wrangled an interview with Sonny Rollins - Sonny is a nice guy, but it's sometimes difficult to get him to open up. Somehow the talk came around to the subject of differnt kinds of saxophones, Selmers, Conns, Buescher, King, et al - and Sonny lit up - fascinating conversation, if completely un-related to the topic I came to speak with him about, and completely un-useable for my book -

It's a funny thing about musicians and their attachments to horns - many years ago I was working on a book project and wrangled an interview with Sonny Rollins - Sonny is a nice guy, but it's sometimes difficult to get him to open up. Somehow the talk came around to the subject of differnt kinds of saxophones, Selmers, Conns, Buescher, King, et al - and Sonny lit up - fascinating conversation, if completely un-related to the topic I came to speak with him about, and completely un-useable for my book -

Well, post it here!

Or SOMETHING.

I'd love to hear/read that.

Last night I had weird dream! I dreamed about that horn you'd introduced here. One man showed me it's Pres' instrument. And, still in my dreams, I could not believe my eyes what I can see.

Weird, folks, weird. A nightmare. :blink:

And I'm serious.

Edited by mmilovan

Excellent, thanks for posting this.

Jim, how common/popular were Conn tenors with players in that era? My dad used to have a Conn "naked lady" alto and it seems like I remember him saying their altos were pretty widely played when he was young (late 50's), but I never heard him say anything about the tenors.

Do a search for "Conn Naked Lady" on eBay and you'll see. They are pretty desirable, although tenor moreso than alto.

My dream horn? A 1950s King Super 20 Silversonic. OH YEAH!

That's what Cannonball played on.

Milan:  I'm afraid that you need to spend less time at Organissimo right before going to sleep.  ;)

Don't know John... maybe I'm too obsessed with Pres music...

but what can I do... the only person ever touched my mind in that particular music way... hard to explain :wacko:

You know that I very much share your obsession.

Excellent, thanks for posting this.

Jim, how common/popular were Conn tenors with players in that era? My dad used to have a Conn "naked lady" alto and it seems like I remember him saying their altos were pretty widely played when he was young (late 50's), but I never heard him say anything about the tenors.

Do a search for "Conn Naked Lady" on eBay and you'll see. They are pretty desirable, although tenor moreso than alto.

My dream horn? A 1950s King Super 20 Silversonic. OH YEAH!

That's what Cannonball played on.

Yes, Cannonball played the alto and I think Stanley T played the tenor for awhile!

Woot!

As the proud owner of a 'pre-Chu' (early '20s) Conn C-melody I would have to agree that the key work is kinda clunky, but that otherwise it's a lovely horn (looks good too, silver with gold wash inside the bell). I also have a slightly later King C-melody with more modern keywork, but I play the Conn far more often. Now if I can just find a modern mouthpiece that plays in tune, the vintage one I play now is decidedly stuffy. (I have a metal tenor Berg Larsen for trade if anyone has a Selmer short shank tenor D....) I also don't understand why everyone didn't use the Conn micro-tuner once the patent ran out.

Lester reputedly played plastic reeds in his later years, so I don't think he was exactly an equipment geek...

As the proud owner of a 'pre-Chu' (early '20s) Conn C-melody I would have to agree that the key work is kinda clunky, but that otherwise it's a lovely horn (looks good too, silver with gold wash inside the bell). I also have a slightly later King C-melody with more modern keywork, but I play the Conn far more often. Now if I can just find a modern mouthpiece that plays in tune, the vintage one I play now is decidedly stuffy. (I have a metal tenor Berg Larsen for trade if anyone has a Selmer short shank tenor D....) I also don't understand why everyone didn't use the Conn micro-tuner once the patent ran out.

Lester reputedly played plastic reeds in his later years, so I don't think he was exactly an equipment geek...

Not a geek, but great experimentor with all kinds of reeds (B. Holiday's rememberings while they were together in Basie band backstage) and he often used to change his mouthpieces from time to time.