Don Ellis

Tony Pusey

'Tears of Joy' was originally issued by CBS on a 2LP set (plus a quadraphonic version, apparently) in the early 1970s. It's sort of in the same vein as the 'Fillmore' set ie. large orchestra playing complex time signature, rock-influenced arrangements (quite a few by Milcho Leviev, who is given prominence in the set). I think there's even a string section in there too. Sort of a natural progression after 'Electric Bath' and 'Autumn' - recommended.

Haven't heard 'Connection' I'm afraid - this is the one Don Ellis recording that I don't have.

Connection is Don Ellis' take on pop tunes - Jesus Christ Superstar in 7/4 and the like, but the originals by Ellis, Hank Levy or Dick Halligan are the best. Imagine Ellis go Blood, Sweat & Tears, and you get an idea.

It was basically the same band that had recorded Tears of Joy - He had developped a new section concept: Brass (trumpet, trombones, french horn and tuba), woodwinds, strings (amplified) and rhythms (piano, guitar, bass and expanded percussion). The band is lively and experimental on this, I would recommend it - they were a great live band. Milcho Leviev plays a Blues in Elf (eleven) qoting the Moonlight Sonata - great fun.

Hopefully they will do Don Ellis at Fillmore later.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up both of these, having only had the vinyl versions. Tears is by far the better of the two, but I enjoy both. I also wish they'd release the Fillmore record on CD. Has Autumn come out on CD yet? It's nice to see a lot of the Ellis sides being re-released. You'll need a magnifying glass to read the liners on Tears, however!

He had some interesting players on his records who I've not seen elsewhere. Wonder what happened to some of these guys. I believe Glenn Ferris lives in Europe- France, maybe?

What about Sam Falzone, Fred Selden, Milcho Leviev, et al?

Fun and creative music. :tup

Edited by Free For All

Glenn Ferris made a memorable appearance on this one:

d2548596o7n.jpg

Tony Scott's African Bird: Come Back! Mother Africa

My sister bought a folio of flute solos of then-current hit songs assembled by Fred Selden back in 1975 or so. I confiscated it from her (for trivia reasons) after she quit playing, and still have it in the closet. I'll have to dig it out and get the exact date of it and see what he was doing then. I know it was after he left Ellis.

Glenn Ferris is pretty active in Europe. He recently issued a new album 'Skin Me' on the Naive label. The samples sound fine:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...5825187-6537815

His quintet includes local musicians Jean-Michel Cabrol on tenor, Philippe Milanta on piano, Bruno Rousselet on bass and New Orleans-born drummer Jeff Boudreaux.

• 1 year later...

Sort of a reissue, but Wounded Bird has just released the Don Ellis Octet’s Pieces of Eight.

It’s a one-shot date by an octet from a 1967 concert at UCLA. Parts of this date were sold by Ellis as tapes and 8-tracks (as Don Ellis LIVE!) at concerts.

The octet is pretty rhythm section heavy--Ellis, Tom Scott and Dave Mackay are the only horns.

The sound isn’t great. Interesting gig, but I much prefer the big band music from this period.

http://www.woundedbird.com/ellis/6000.htm

Sort of a reissue, but Wounded Bird has just released the Don Ellis Octet’s Pieces of Eight.

It’s a one-shot date by an octet from a 1967 concert at UCLA. Parts of this date were sold by Ellis as tapes and 8-tracks (as Don Ellis LIVE!) at concerts.

The octet is pretty rhythm section heavy--Ellis, Tom Scott and Dave Mackay are the only horns.

The sound isn’t great. Interesting gig, but I much prefer the big band music from this period.

Thanks for pointing this out - this is extremely rare stuff and indispensable for an Ellis nut like me.

Dave MacKay is a pianist, BTW.

Thanks for pointing this out - this is extremely rare stuff and indispensable for an Ellis nut like me.

Dave MacKay is a pianist, BTW.

Er... make that Dave Wells.

Should also mention that Don brings out the echoplex for one track and there are neat covers of "Milestones" and Arif Mardin's "Turk's Works."