AAJ / Organissimo / JC

EKE BBB

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That exactly my point.  There is typically a lot less activity at AAJ at any given time, and the threads do not seem to have the sort of energized input found at Org.  Bev, I don't see where you are getting all this stuff about back-slapping and testosterone from my observation.  As I pointed out in my earlier post, Mike has done a good job on designing and setting up his board.  Nevertheless, the "vibe" there is often pretty slack.

I'm being overharsh, Leeway.

Every couple of months there seems to be one of these comparing todgers (I think that's peckers in your part of the world) threads over here (they don't seem to do it at AAJ). I never see the point.

AAJ can't match the depth of the posts of some of the posters on this site; but it compensates by having a greater interest in the jazz world beyond America. As for 'idiots', well I suppose one person's idiot is another person's sage. There are people on both boards whose sanity I doubt! I'd imagine people on both doubt mine! Strengths and weaknesses on both sites.

One site has more action than the other? OK. But I'd say that's as interesting as one saxophonist playing more notes per minute than another.

Unless, one's a financial analyst tracking the economic viability of both places.

AAJ has provided a place to post for Organissimo members when this site has been down, a service people who rarely post there otherwise have made use of; Organissimo has done the same for AAJ.

The way I see it AAJ and Organissimo are two strong sites that complement each other. But then I'm a woolly European liberal, resistant to hardnosed competition.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

AAJ has provided a place to post for Organissimo members when this site has been down, a service people who rarely post there otherwise have made use of; Organissimo has done the same for AAJ.

The way I see it AAJ and Organissimo are two strong sites that complement each other.

I agree. That's why I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't knocking AAJ. In a sense, it's a different kind of place from Org. AAJ has a lot of CD reviews, interviews, articles, etc, archived on the web site, and these constitute a valuable resource. Probably like most forums, the AAJ forum has its peak moments and its valleys. I guess my basic point was that, at least lately, things seem to have slowed down there, or lost a sense of communal excitement. Even the Wynton thread and the PhaoraohRocksKolumBuzz's posts seem de-energized ^_^

That's my admittedly very subjective impression.

Even the Wynton thread and the PhaoraohRocksKolumBuzz's posts seem de-energized  ^_^

That's my admittedly very subjective impression.

I'd suggest this was a good thing!

AAJ has never had the communal thing that this place has. It has always seemed to me like a high-profile bar on the front street that has a passing trade that often never returns. Organissimo is more like a 'local' with a lot of people who know one another and with a 'code' all its own.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

AAJ has never had the communal thing that this place has. It has always seemed to me like a high-profile bar on the front street that has a passing trade that often never returns. Organissimo is more like a 'local' with a lot of people who know one another and with a 'code' all its own.

That. my friend, is as accurate an assessment of the difference between the vibe of the two boards as I've read.

The thing is, all are welcome here, I think, "cliqueish" though the atmosphere may seem to a "walk in". It's just that "we" are who we are, and won't/can't change that. But anybody who wants to "join the clique" (and willing to take it for waht it is) is more than welcome to! In other words, it's not really a clique, it's more a "world of its own".

And it's also a world that loves to validate itself at regular intervals. :g:g:g:g:g