BFT #21, disc one - Discussion

Big Al

With the kind permission of mmilovan, I am starting the discussion for disc one of BFT #21. There's no real theme, other than just wanting it to swing and groove from start to finish. If I got that across, than I'll feel like I succeeded, because I fully expect y'all to identify each track on here! B-)

Fire away!!!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try for more later. For now I will just say that 17 is "Frank's Tune" but it is not the version I know on "Big George" by George Coleman. Is it the composer leading then? Frank Strozier.

16 sounds like Grant Green and Stanley Turrentine to me.

10 trumpet - Kenny Dorham?

Nice one, Al! Really enjoyable - good fun.

I will try for more later. For now I will just say that 17 is "Frank's Tune" but it is not the version I know on "Big George" by George Coleman. Is it the composer leading then? Frank Strozier.

16 sounds like Grant Green and Stanley Turrentine to me.

10 trumpet - Kenny Dorham?

Nice one, Al! Really enjoyable - good fun.

Yeah, I recognized "Frank's Tune" on track 17 also from versions I have that feature Frank Strozier, in a Shelly Manne Quintet and with George Coleman's Octet. Alto is not Strozier however. Unmistakably it's Jackie Mac, trumpet sounds very much like Lee Morgan. Trying to run through all the usual suspects on trombone and am pretty sure it's NOT J.J., Curtis or Slide so I'm stumped there. Ditto with the piano. Drummer is probably Higgins. Where is this version from???? Probably an obscure Blue Note that I definitely do not own.

OK, got to find my notes on some of the other tracks.

OK, found my notes which are very limited unfortunately.

1) "It Had to be You" by Spike Jones?

2) Terry Gibbs Orchestra? One of those Contemporary albums perhaps.

3) Should know this tune as I know I've heard it before but I can't place it. Too dance band-like for my taste.

4) "Six Flats Unfurnished" I believe. Haven't heard it in years, the version I'm familiar with is that of Benny Goodman who didn't solo on that one so perhaps this is the same version?

5) Got to be Duke doing a late '60s version of his "Rockin' in Rhythm". I have a double Solid State LP issue, this may be the same version, not sure.

6) It sure sounds like Pres on one of those Basie swingers, but this is a smaller group. Can't place the track.

OK, more homework to do.

"Frank's Tune" is from a BN session led by an artist that was on my BFT (the classic, unforgettable BFT #3 B-) :P;) ).

1. It Had To Be You. Looney!! But that's all I know...

2. Energizing!! Terry Gibbs?

3. Nice lush ensemble arrangement. 50's cool... need to listen further...

4. ZZ Top? :g I dunno...

5. Ellingtonianish... yes... I know this theme... just not by name :rolleyes: Ah... now the band kicks in... "rockin' in rhythm"? 5 stars!

6. Basietonianish! This is becoming a nice battle o' the bands disc, Al. B-)

7. The swinging continues... in small group form. I can't ID this...

8. Nice latin piece... no idea yet...

9. Very pretty changes, lovely sound. A bit of Horace Silverianish style in the piano solo. Gotta spin this again...

10. I'll bet I own this. Is that Joe H on tenor? I definitely need to spin this again...

11. Some nice blue flaut! Moody? Nice arrrrrrrrangement!

12. Gee, this reminds me of the shortattentionspan disc too (track 68, for those who are playing along). Al KNOWS that I know that he knows that I know that we both know what this is. This tune was sung by a female jazz singer on another BFT some months ago. 5 thumbs! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

13. Angels we have heard on... oh, no, that's the wrong CD. Funky, greasy, even greeeeaaaazzzy little ditty here (see shortattentionspan disc, track #1... I think... going by memory here...). I'm stumped.

14. Hmmm... I dunno.

15. see #14 (could these be from the same album?)

16. That's Grant Green on guitar, but beyond that I'll need to do further (actual) research.

17. See above. Track #69 on the S.A.S disc. BeeYOOtyful!

Al, this was one well-rounded trip through the world of swinging, grooving, floor-pounding jazz. Now I gotta go listen again (and see if my attention span is any better this time). :D

Disc 1

Just one tune to try for the begining...

Track 6: As I said earlier somewhere, give me this 24 hours a day - nice and sweet Basie band with Paul Quinichette as the main solist - and my heart, soul, brain, whatever will dance and be full with happines, joy and relaxed feeling...

Just give me that... :D

Edited by mmilovan

On track #10, trumpeter's bittersweet tone is readily identifiable and then I recognized the tenor. The only date that I know these two appeared on in a quintet setting was only available on LP, I believe, which is how I have it. In any event, it's track #3 on this:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:lxtxlf3egcqe

What's with all the organ on tracks #13-16?

On track #10, trumpeter's bittersweet tone is readily identifiable and then I recognized the tenor. The only date that I know these two appeared on in a quintet setting was only available on LP, I believe, which is how I have it. In any event, it's track #3 on this:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:lxtxlf3egcqe

Interesting. He has one of my favorite (and usually recognizeable :rolleyes: ) tenor sounds. I'm not sure yet, but I think I associate him more with his later, harder/brighter tone. This recording sounds great, but the tone is different (at least to my ears) than the sound I associate with him. At any rate, you nailed it Marty, so apparently I need to listen more closely. :rlol

BTW, this album was issued on CD in 2001 (as a twofer, combined with another LP he did for the same label). It's track 3 on the CD (I'll try to remember to do a link later... gotta go right now).

First off, thanks Big Al for a fun and fine compilation-one of the nicest to date.

I know I'll kick myself a few times when the answers are revealed, but I only have a few guesses, and one I'm sure of (a first!):

11) James Moody, from one of the Argo albums?

15) Hank Crawford, I'm pretty sure

17) Track Six HERE

And to answer Marty's Question:

What's with all the organ on tracks #13-16?

Cuz Al Likey the GGGRRREEEEAAAAZZZZEEEE!

First off, thanks Big Al for a fun and fine compilation-one of the nicest to date.

I know I'll kick myself a few times when the answers are revealed, but I only have a few guesses, and one I'm sure of (a first!):

11) James Moody, from one of the Argo albums?

15) Hank Crawford, I'm pretty sure

17) Track Six HERE

Thanks Dan for pointing out where track #17 comes from. Good to know I was pretty much on the mark but I had no idea what session that track came from. Now I know!

"Frank's Tune" is from a BN session led by an artist that was on my BFT (the classic, unforgettable BFT #3 B-) :P;) ).

I needs to get a copy of your BFT! I'd love to hear it!

12. Gee, this reminds me of the shortattentionspan disc too (track 68, for those who are playing along).  Al KNOWS that I know that he knows that I know that we both know what this is.  This tune was sung by a female jazz singer on another BFT some months ago.  5 thumbs!  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

Especially for you, my friend! :) Merry Christmas, and be thankful I didn't choose track 17 from that CD instead! :P

well, i had an excellent afternoon enjoying this BFT trying to recover myself from all the food i ate in less than 18 hours

tracks that i really enjoyed: 3,5,7,9,10,11,13,17

pleasant tracks: 2,8,12,14,15,16

not my taste: 1,4,6

what is this It Had to Be You on a cartoon mood???

track 12 is appearing for the second time on a BFT disc. this arrangement explores the influence of Villa-Lobos on Antonio's music.

track 5 is probably from Ellington but i dunno the name

track 8 is Eddie Palmieri?

i was expecting a greazy BFT from Big Al and i´m very glad to add this disc on my collection

congrats Al

Marcus

BFT 21 put me in the right mood from the opening track...

1- this has got to be Spike Jones! Always enjoy hearing Spike's work although I never bothered to acquire any of his music..

2- Terry Gibbs and his Dream Band? Really nice arrangement but could not trace that particular recording. Might this be the Tommy Vig big band?

3- one of those tunes that I have heard before. Give me time to identify it! A really nice version. Phil Woods?

4- a late 30s/early 40s big band. The tenor player sounds like Georgie Auld. Could be the Benny Goodman's band. It sounds like it but it couldn't be since I can't hear any BG playing on that one.

5- 'Rockin' In Rhythm by Duke! A classic version!

6- Had not liostened to that one in quite a long time. Always a pleasure. The Vice Pres presence (and his then Boss) helped identify that one. Track 7:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:snh1z87a8yvn

7- The trumpet was sweet(s). so was the music. Loved that music.

8- no idea what that short latin-tinged piano track was...

9- Piano player sounds Silver-influenced. Would have enjoyed more with a regular bass. A very nice selection,

10- The tenor has a very identifiable sound and as soon as the trumpet player appeared I knew what this was. What a good idea to dig out that track! I have a French vinyl reissue of the album and it's one I have played so often.

Track 3:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:va2vadskt8w1

11- nice arrangement (Oliver Nelson?)

12- the first track I don't care much about. No idea who plays here.

13- an organ track. OK. But who?

14- more organ. No clue.

15- more organ with a big band. Not a fan of that one!

16- and yet more organ! But that one is a real groover! Gotta be Grant Green. Searched around to identify the album and that track. I must have this somewhere. If I don't, it's going to be my next purchase. Loved that festive music!!

17- the BFT ends with familiar players. I turned to my Japanese vinyl of that session. The final tune. Track 6:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...yhjx7i38g72r~T1

I will relisten to that BFT (with much pleasure) to identify a couple of tunes.

Many thanks, Big Al, for assembling this compilation!

6- Had not liostened to that one in  quite a long time. Always a pleasure. The Vice Pres presence (and his then Boss) helped identify that one.

Guy,

Big Al,

have you heard Scott Yanow on this one:

"Despite that fault (his lack of originality), Vice Pres was quite creative and swinging within Young's style"

:unsure::wacko:

Edited by mmilovan

4- a late 30s/early 40s big band. The tenor player sounds like Georgie Auld. Could be the Benny Goodman's band. It sounds like it but it couldn't be since I can't hear any BG playing on that one.

I was eagerly awaiting your comments; I figured you would've aced this one!

Great guesses all around, but I have to tell you, reading your guess above just MADE MY DAY!!!! ;):P:g