BFT #21, disc one - Discussion

Big Al

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope. I haven't even begun that one yet, and that's 91 tracks of answers to plow through (although I won't bore folks with explanations/anecdotes/lies about each selection on that disc!)

I gathered it may be available from deus? wink wink

(although I voted for it, I missed some of the to and fro when it was offered, it seems)

I hope. I haven't even begun that one yet, and that's 91 tracks of answers to plow through (although I won't bore folks with explanations/anecdotes/lies about each selection on that disc!)

(although I voted for it, I missed some of the to and fro when it was offered, it seems)

You did? Dang, I wish I knew! I would've sent you one! In fact, I'll still send you one! Watch your mail!

@deus: wink! wink!

I think I missed out on voting back then, but x-mas music never was something I was fond of, and I guess disc2 will have to wait a year now, anyway... maybe I can still post guesses in December '05? Can you wait with the answers till then?

ubu ;)

Be careful about your desires! I had a mouthful of it and guess one will be pretty much exhausted after taking in the complete helping. It takes even more attention to follow all the wild edits ........

Al, I urge you to take a safety copy of your SAS disc answers - I'm afraid this list will crash the board! :g

For all of those parasites ( ;) ) ... yes, the disc is available from me. You're just going to have to wait two or three weeks. I'm not burning anything at the moment. Too much work.

After I get done with the next two major projects, I'll gladly pass on the discs to you. No problem.

And mind you, this disc could prove dangerous to your health.

But it's also LOTS of fun!

Cheers!

P.S.: I will try to post educated guesses before the end of 2006/2007.

For all of those parasites ( ;) ) ... yes, the disc is available from me. You're just going to have to wait two or three weeks. I'm not burning anything at the moment. Too much work.

After I get done with the next two major projects, I'll gladly pass on the discs to you. No problem.

And mind you, this disc could prove dangerous to your health.

But it's also LOTS of fun!

Cheers!

P.S.: I will try to post educated guesses before the end of 2006/2007.

:tup

thanks! take as long as you need!

FWIW, I'm thinking of posting the entire SAS-BFT online, as mp3 clips, since most of the tracks clock in at less-than-a-minute. Now that I've upgraded to DSL at the house, this doesn't sound as daunting and time-consuming as it might've been when I still had dial-up.

As for the Christmas BFT answers, heck, I don't mind waiting until Christmas of this year to post them! It's not like I'm done with them or anything...... :w

• 2 weeks later...

01 OK, I know there was a joke on the board a few weeks ago about someone asking "what cartoon this came from." Sounds like some classic Bugs to me.

02 This MUST be Terry Gibbs Dream Band. I don't have any of this stuff, believe it or not. I'm loving it. How could you not?! Great arrangement, but I don't know the tune. Could be their signature for all I know! Really nice. Great vibes solo at the end as well. Live? Has to be the Dream Band. Thanks for this introduction!

03 There is a local big band that plays this tune and it sounds like a very similar arrangement. I don't know the name of it. I am never very good with names. I feel like I should know who the trumpet and saxophone are. I'm going to guess Byrd on trumpet. Fantastic comping from the piano during the trombone solo and I love how the drummer throws the accent around. I'm thinking about Philly Joe, but I'm not positive. This could be him.

04 Sounds like it came from an LP. There's a lot of static during the ensemble sections. I don't know what this is, but I like it. Sounds like something my Grandfather has in his collection.

05 Kinda Dukish! I know this one. I just ordered the remaster of this album from yourmusic.com, but it seems to be on backorder. Surprise! Anyway, I recognize this, believe it or not, from Bandwagon interpretation. I knew which album this came from because my brother played it for me over Christmas. I've got to get more Duke.

06 What a tempo for guitar strumming! Wow. Man this group burns! Is this Count Basie? I don't have much from his groups either. There are a lot of areas that my jazz knowledge is lacking. Milan's blindfold put that into light. This one is too!

07 I just don't know much about swing. I think this is another blindfold that my grandfather would kill me on! More of that uptempo guitar strumming! At this point, I have to guess that it is the same player, which makes me think that I am also probably listening to another Basie Band? The guitar is harder to hear in this mix, but he sure is going at it. As I understand it, the man never took a solo on record? Doesn't sound like Basie during the piano solo though! I don't know!!! This is SWEET! I love the piano solo!

08 You know, I thought this blindfold was going to be dripping with grease. I'm feeling grease right around the corner. I hope this is available on CD! Great percussion. I couldn't guess who this group is. I'd guess the piano player is the leader. Yo no se´.

09 There are a couple of tracks that I like from this album, but for the most part, I felt it was too lite and I actually sold it back! Listening to this track makes me wish I still had it. I like the feel the band has on this tune. Any other Friedman recommendations? People say that it is difficult to express yourself on the vibes, but I think this is a great example, in contrast to Terry Gibbs' sound, that it is possible to develop a tone. Recording, unfortunately has a lot to do with vibes tones. It seems like a very difficult instrument to record well. Or that used to be the case anyway. The old recordings really vary. This is a well recorded vibraphone.

10 Kenny Dorham. I'm drawing a blank on that tenor sound, but I know it! I've never heard this before. I like the tune. Sort of a shaky solo for Dorham?

11 Sorry. I got pulled away. Missed this one, but I did hear some nice flute playing.

12 Missed it entirely. I will have to go back.

13 You tried to fool me with that JB intro! I walked in to this and couldn't hit the back button! Here's the grease! I have this one! Brandon Burke and I were talking about this the other day. I love the way the drum kit is recorded on this album. Especially the bass drum. It kind of has that 'pat' sound, rather than 'boom.' I don't know anything about the drummer, but I like his style and think the recorded sound fits it well. Fonky!

14 Whoa! I don't know this one! A tenor in each channel! Sweet. There's some more shuffling guitar, but more of a boogaloo thing. Oh, he plays like stuff I've heard Melvin Sparks do, but the tone sounds different. Sounds like an older, bigger bodied guitar. I don't know what I'm talking about. This is a fun track! Sing playa sing! I knew you'd bring the grease. Can't stop now! Don't stop now!

15 I knew that you couldn't! Believe it or not, I have this one too! And I really don't have all that much organ stuff. This board gave me the nudge to check some stuff out. Anytime I see an album by any of these guys, I go ahead and pick it up. I have friends that love jazz and all sorts of music, but dismiss the organ groups. I don't understand. So, I have to ask, what is Electric Surfboard? If I recall, this is an album that was recorded in Nashville? I like the bass tone. He's really got it going on. Round and dry, not too dry. Dry enough to soak up some of that grease that Brother Jack is putting down. Probably some session guy. This is just so damn groovy!

16 Alright, I don't have this one, but I know just enough about organ trio to know exactly who this is. I don't know about the horn players though. These guys would just set up a groove so strong that it strolls off on its own. Yeah! Big John taking it slow and easy. I wish I knew more about how b-3s worked. That sound is so great. I think Ben Dixon is such a great fit for this style of music. Never busy, but always working.

17 Sounds like mid 60s Blue Note: Lee Morgan and undeniable Jackie Mclean. I don't know who else is in the band... Billy Higgins probably? Sounds good. I don't know who the trombone player is. The logical, uneducated guess would be Curtis Fuller, but I don't think so.

Good stuff man! I still listen to that comp you sent me way back "Sidewinder and Sons." My wife digs it too!

Thanks for the music Big Al. I really enjoyed the disc.

Good stuff man! I still listen to that comp you sent me way back "Sidewinder and Sons." My wife digs it too!

Thanks for the music Big Al. I really enjoyed the disc.

Let's give credit where it's due. Unless Big Al sent you his own "Sidewinder and Son's" comp, which would have been a violation of my copyrighted title, that's my disc you and your wife have been digging. <_<;):o:P

Oh man! I apologize. I should write people's names on these things. That was back during the jazz trading post days and there was a lot of mail going around. I'm sorry Dan! How embarrassing.

I think I also associate you two as having a very similar taste in music? I could be wrong. Are you from Texas by chance? ;)

Well, thank YOU Dan for the disc. It has spun many a time here.

04  Sounds like it came from an LP. There's a lot of static during the ensemble sections.

I was trying to mess with the sound levels on this track, seeing as how it's from a disc manufactured in '89. On my test run of this BFT, this track was barely audible. I guess I still have a bit to learn about audio engineering!

07  I just don't know much about swing. I think this is another blindfold that my grandfather would kill me on! More of that uptempo guitar strumming! At this point, I have to guess that it is the same player, which makes me think that I am also probably listening to another Basie Band? The guitar is harder to hear in this mix, but he sure is going at it. As I understand it, the man never took a solo on record? Doesn't sound like Basie during the piano solo though! I don't know!!! This is SWEET! I love the piano solo!

In a manner of speaking..... :g

10  Kenny Dorham. I'm drawing a blank on that tenor sound, but I know it! I've never heard this before. I like the tune. Sort of a shaky solo for Dorham?

I thought I was going to get hammered for saying that, but I couldn't agree more.

13  You tried to fool me with that JB intro! I walked in to this and couldn't hit the back button! Here's the grease! I have this one! Brandon Burke and I were talking about this the other day. I love the way the drum kit is recorded on this album. Especially the bass drum. It kind of has that 'pat' sound, rather than 'boom.' I don't know anything about the drummer, but I like his style and think the recorded sound fits it well. Fonky!

Yeeeaahh buddy!!!!

14  Whoa! I don't know this one! A tenor in each channel! Sweet. There's some more shuffling guitar, but more of a boogaloo thing. Oh, he plays like stuff I've heard Melvin Sparks do, but the tone sounds different. Sounds like an older, bigger bodied guitar. I don't know what I'm talking about. This is a fun track! Sing playa sing! I knew you'd bring the grease. Can't stop now! Don't stop now!

Ha ha. GOTCHA!!! :P

Edited by Big Al

Oh man! I apologize. I should write people's names on these things. That was back during the jazz trading post days and there was a lot of mail going around. I'm sorry Dan! How embarrassing.

I think I also associate you two as having a very similar taste in music? I could be wrong. Are you from Texas by chance? ;)

Well, thank YOU Dan for the disc. It has spun many a time here.

S'allright. Glad its given you and the wife lots of pleasurable mileage.

• 6 months later...