BFT #21, disc one - Discussion

Big Al

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now for an encore.... number 9.

Had to search the discography to locate a session that would fit. Then the search for the vinyl was on.

Et voila! Track 4.

http://www.peanutsjazz.com/recordings/24178.html

Had no relistened to the album in a long time and did not bother to get the reissue. OK the electric bass is not to my taste but, damn, this is a lovely tune and what a nice contribution from the pianist.

The album will be back on the turntable!

And now for an encore.... number 9.

Had to search the discography to locate a session that would fit. Then the search for the vinyl was on.

Et voila! Track 4.

http://www.peanutsjazz.com/recordings/24178.html

Had no relistened to the album in a long time and did not bother to get the reissue. OK the electric bass is not to my taste but, damn, this is a lovely tune and what a nice contribution from the pianist.

The album will be back on the turntable!

DRAT!!!! :g

A very lovely tune indeed! I could listen to that vamp for hours! :wub:

Track 1 Oh boy, was I laughing when the disc started! Big Al proudly presents!!!! Fer sure! You say it, brother! (Some Spike Jones involved in the intro! Or some cartoon series music? Is that Daffy Duck?)

Track 2 That must the TGDB, one of these CDs - unfortunately I do not have all of them to check. Mel Lewis is clearly recognizable in the first drum break. That was the best thing that vibist ever did in his whole career, IMHO. The West Coast counterpart of the TJ/ML JO. Oh this swings like mad!!! Great stuff!!! (Gettin' tired of abbreviations?)

Track 3 That's a fine tune, I have three versions of it, the one here is on this album. Very nice choice!

Track 4 No idea, but sure like it! Great jumpy swing rhythm. Just the way I like it. Lunceford? Or Erskine Hawkins?

Track 5 Oh, I know that one, though I have a different, older version. Of course!!!!! I will leave it to EKE BBB to determine the exact recording date. I didn't know he combined the first part which I know from a trio recording with this much older tune. Great. I will never get tired of his music.

Track 6 Hehehe .... I know who this is, but will leave the trap open to the others. Great choice :tup

Track 7 Another tenor, some Hawk mixed into Prez. No idea.

Track 8 Hah! Trying to steal my tricks?! Not with me! Al, you know that I know who/what this is! Honestly Al, you have been posting a little too often that you love this CD ...

Track 9 Sounds familiar. CTI recording? - or rather, 1970's RVG vibes/piano sound. Hmm ... Johnny Lytle on Muse? Of course not: One of the vibes tracks from this album. It's crazy how that piano recording obscures the personal sound - you could think it is Kenny Barron playing!

Track 10 Very nice! Clifford Jordan on tenor, I would say. Al, may we never meet and have a listening session - it would take weeks!!! Kenny Dorham? I do not have that one, but it sure hits my taste.

Track 11 Familiar sounds again. Strozier on one of his Riverside/Jazzland dates? The writing almost sounds like with Max Roach's pianoless groups.

Track 12 Jobim and Orgerman at their grandest! A marcha, a Brazilian march, the most majestic of Brazilian rhythms, played like it should be played. Great!

Track 13 Heheh again: Soul Brother No. 1 doing the intro, I'd say. Thought that maybe I'd have this one on an instrumentals compilation. But it is way too jazzy for him and his men - clever edit? No idea.

Track 14: More greazy stuff, great stuff, but again no idea.

Track 15: Track 4 from this album. That's a great tune, but I have a quartet version by some other band that I like much more.

Track 16: By now the greaze is all over my living room floor! :ph34r:

Track 17: Track 6 from this album. One of the last real hard bop albums on the label. But I could kill this alto for his flat intonation!!! :angry:

Very nice choices!!! Greazy and Groovy all the way!!! :tup

6- Had not liostened to that one in  quite a long time. Always a pleasure. The Vice Pres presence (and his then Boss) helped identify that one.

Guy,

Big Al,

have you heard Scott Yanow on this one:

"Despite that fault (his lack of originality), Vice Pres was quite creative and swinging within Young's style"

:unsure::wacko:

Some prejudices are hard to kill .... but the contradiction here is ridiculous! I always dig Quinichette a real lot!!!

Edited by mikeweil

Track 3 That's a fine tune, I have three versions of it, the one here is on this album. Very nice choice!

Good catch on that one, Mike. Should have guessed it. Excellent album but one of those leaderless date that has disappeared in the mess that passes for my record collection. Can't remember where I placed my Japanese vinyl reissue of it. Will have to really search for it now that this BFT has reactivated my interest in this LP.

And thank you Big Al too for including it!

Good catch on that one, Mike. Should have guessed it. Excellent album but one of those leaderless date that has disappeared in the mess that passes for my record collection. Can't remember where I placed my Japanese vinyl reissue of it. Will have to really search for it now that this BFT has reactivated my interest in this LP.

I knew I owned this one. :rolleyes: I've had it for many years in this form:

http://lead-zepp.cool.ne.jp/p4021jc/06bethlehem.JPG

Thanks for the heads up, Al. I should actually play this CD once in awhile.

Track 1 Oh boy, was I laughing when the disc started! Big Al proudly presents!!!! Fer sure! You say it, brother! (Some Spike Jones involved in the intro! Or some cartoon series music? Is that Daffy Duck?)

You, like marcoliv and Jim R, are on the right track! Come on: SOMEONE knows the source for this one!

Yeah, and it's a pity that we may never see it released in its original form. I guess we can thank Orrin Keepnews for that, but why would we? ;)

Track 8 Hah! Trying to steal my tricks?! Not with me! Al, you know that I know who/what this is! Honestly Al, you have been posting a little too often that you love this CD ...

Especially for you, my friend! I thought it'd be worth a shot to try and fool ya, but what the hey? I wonder if anyone else will pick up on it!

Track 10 Very nice! Clifford Jordan on tenor, I would say. Al, may we never meet and have a listening session - it would take weeks!!!

If I ever get back to Deutschland ("the Mother land") you can bet that I WILL look you up!!! I just better have a few months set aside to sit & listen!!!

Track 11 Familiar sounds again. Strozier on one of his Riverside/Jazzland dates? The writing almost sounds like with Max Roach's pianoless groups.

You have no idea how good I feel knowing you couldn't identify this one! I'll bring this one to Germany with me! :g

Track 13 Heheh again: Soul Brother No. 1 doing the intro, I'd say. Thought that maybe I'd have this one on an instrumentals compilation. But it is way too jazzy for him and his men - clever edit?

Mmmmmmmmaybe!!!! ;)

Track 17: Track 6 from this album. One of the last real hard bop albums on the label. But I could kill this alto for his flat intonation!!!  :angry:

No kidding? The alto is the highlight for me, especially during the head! :tup

Very nice choices!!! Greazy and Groovy all the way!!!  :tup

I'm glad you dug them, as I was inspired to a great extent by your BFT!

Edited by Big Al

I knew I owned this one. :rolleyes: I've had it for many years in this form:

http://lead-zepp.cool.ne.jp/p4021jc/06bethlehem.JPG

Thanks for the heads up, Al. I should actually play this CD once in awhile.

Yes, that was my source as well. You'll get the full-blown rant when I post the answers!

You have no idea how good I feel knowing you couldn't identify this one!

Yeah, you TELL him, Al! Remember the way he humiliated us on his BFT! :tup:P:g:g

=====

Re the opener, Al, was I anywhere near the target with that page I linked above? (In other words, was anything on that page anywhere close to being almost close to "warm"?) ^_^

... I don't know whether to be :) or :( that you didn't do a play-by-play of my guesses. I thought I was at least warm on track 11... :unsure:

"Frank's Tune" is from a BN session led by an artist that was on my BFT (the classic, unforgettable BFT #3  B-)  :P  ;) ).

And like I said, I want a copy of your BFT! I've already read the answers (hence my wanting to get a copy) but I may still guess nonetheless. I mean, it's not like I remember anything I read!

1. It Had To Be You.  Looney!!  But that's all I know...

Very much so!!! your link did direct us to the right answer, but I wanna see if anyone actually identifies the particular 'toon it's from!

2. Energizing!! Terry Gibbs?

To quote another 'toon, "ehhhhhh....COULD be!!!"

4. ZZ Top?  :g  I dunno...

Well, from what I understand, those guys are three goodmen! ;)

5. Ellingtonianish... yes... I know this theme... just not by name  :rolleyes:  Ah... now the band kicks in... "rockin' in rhythm"?  5 stars!

NOBODY'S identified this yet? Heck, I thought this would've been the easiest track on the disc! Am I the only one who bought this last year (2004)?

7. The swinging continues... in small group form.  I can't ID this...

It is rather "sweet," ain't it? :g

8. Nice latin piece... no idea yet...

Mike? B-)

9. Very pretty changes, lovely sound.  A bit of Horace Silverianish style in the piano solo.  Gotta spin this again...

Well, I'm pretty sure the piano player would be happy to hear that! :g

10. I'll bet I own this.  Is that Joe H on tenor?  I definitely need to spin this again...

Maybe. No. Yes!

11. Some nice blue flaut!  Moody?  Nice arrrrrrrrangement!

See #2!

12. Gee, this reminds me of the shortattentionspan disc too (track 68, for those who are playing along).  Al KNOWS that I know that he knows that I know that we both know what this is.  This tune was sung by a female jazz singer on another BFT some months ago.  5 thumbs!  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

Once again, :wub: !!!

13. Angels we have heard on... oh, no, that's the wrong CD.  Funky, greasy, even greeeeaaaazzzy little ditty here (see shortattentionspan disc, track #1... I think... going by memory here...).  I'm stumped.

This was quite evil of me. I'll never tell!!!

14. Hmmm... I dunno.

Bingo!

15. see #14 (could these be from the same album?)

See #14. (No!)

16. That's Grant Green on guitar, but beyond that I'll need to do further (actual) research.

Well, you're 1/3 of the way there! Nice thing about Green: he's as distinguishable with the guitar as Blakey is with the drums.

17. See above.  Track #69 on the S.A.S disc.  BeeYOOtyful!

:wub:

Al, this was one well-rounded trip through the world of swinging, grooving, floor-pounding jazz.  Now I gotta go listen again (and see if my attention span is any better this time).  :D

I wasn't paying attention. I think the answer is greeeeeeeeeaze!!! :party:

"Frank's Tune" is from a BN session led by an artist that was on my BFT (the classic, unforgettable BFT #3  B-)  :P   ;) ).

And like I said, I want a copy of your BFT! I've already read the answers (hence my wanting to get a copy) but I may still guess nonetheless. I mean, it's not like I remember anything I read!

:unsure: When I read that comment (that you wanted a copy of my BFT) the first time you said it, I had Buddy the Elf spring into action. So, there's a good chance it may be somewhere near Texas by now... unless I'm lying. :rcry If it actually arrives, please pretend you're surprised, willya? :w

...your link did direct us to the right answer, but I wanna see if anyone actually identifies the particular 'toon it's from!

Tanks, Doc. I'll have to go back and look again (at the first link- the Google one that was cached, but didn't woik for you). I think there were only two possibilities...

NOBODY'S identified this yet? Heck, I thought this would've been the easiest track on the disc! Am I the only one who bought this last year (2004)?

Hmm... while at the store today, I happened to buy a certain Ellington trio CD on Columbia. I also looked at it's "companion", on which Ellington apparently opens each track with a piano part. "Rockin' In Rhythm" was on that CD (which has a word in the title that's the opposite of one of the words in the title of the one I bought, I think). Does this make any sense? (and if so, is this where your version came from?). Just a hunch...

Al,

Very nice BFT! I have no clue who any of the artists are on the first half of the test. Track #1 has to be off of an old Looney Tunes episode, but I'm not well-versed enough to know which one. I'm not normally a fan of big band music, but I really enjoyed your selections. Track #2, in particular, was a lot of fun.

I didn't do much better guessing any of the tracks on the second half of the disc, either.

Track #16 is from here. and is fantastic!

I really enjoyed tracks 13 - 17, although track #13 is driving me crazy. I feel like I've heard this version before, and I'll probably kick myself ehrn you announce who these musicians are. I'm guessing the snippet of the Godfather at the beginning is spliced in.

Great test! As clueless as I am I really enjoyed listening to your choices!

...your link did direct us to the right answer, but I wanna see if anyone actually identifies the particular 'toon it's from!

Tanks, Doc. I'll have to go back and look again (at the first link- the Google one that was cached, but didn't woik for you). I think there were only two possibilities...

Well, I opened up that page again (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:LFZM5...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8), and I had forgotten how LONG that list was. Since this is still technically a guess, I'll go ahead and post the data:

#1.

"BOOK REVIEW" (Clampett/1946)

Looney Tunes-1/5/1946

stars: Daffy Duck

rating: B+

sources: video-Daffy!, video-Columbia House Collector's Edition/Welcome To Wackyland, laser-The Golden Age Of Looney Tunes Vol. 1

music: Carl Stalling, "Carolina In The Morning", "Moonlight Sonata", "It Had To Be You", "Lucia Di Lammermoor"

notes: Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies comics, cuckoo clock, alcohol, hell, trumpet, trombone, drums, Little Red Riding Hood, police, Jimmy Durante, Frank Sinatra

edits: blue ribbon print

#2.

"BEWITCHED BUNNY" (Jones/1954)

Looney Tunes-7/10/1954

stars: Bugs Bunny, Witch Hazel, Hansel, Gretel

rating: B+

sources: video-Bugs Bunny: 1001 Rabbit Tales, video-Columbia House Collector's Edition: A Battle Of Wits, laser-Looney Tunes After Dark

music: Carl Stalling, "It Had To Be You"

notes: "what's up Doctress?", Hansel & Gretel fairy tale

I wonder if the recording of "It Had To Be You" used in these two examples could actually be one in the same... :unsure:

Edited by Jim R

I'm a big Carl Barks nut, have his complete works in original language - indispensable resort of slang expressions, IMHO - but I'm not at all versed in other cartoon series. But I just wanted to guess this tune was included in one of the two Carl Stalling discs on Warner Brothers from a few years ago (link).

You have no idea how good I feel knowing you couldn't identify this one!

Yeah, you TELL him, Al! Remember the way he humiliated us on his BFT! :tup:P:g:g

Okay, I'll swallow the bait ....... I know I know that one .... but ..... :(