BFT #21, disc one - Discussion

Big Al

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, it may be the best solution, but STILL it clashes AND is dead-boring

Well, then, it's hardly the best solution then, is it... :g:g:g

One of those generic "latin" or "rhumba" beats on the snare (w/the snare off) and the rims that jazz drummers notoriously play whenever you call "Latin" would have worked better than the ching-ching-ching metronome thing. "Authentic", no, but hey, jazz drummers, especially back then, are/were often notoriously unauthentic when it come to things Latin, so what's one more unauthenticity? Maybe Philly wasn't "in the mood", or maybe Thigpen was late to the date. Whatever, the fact that he plays so unimaginatively and cuts out after one tune tells me that there's more here than meets the eye, even if not the ear...

Re: Harry Tubbs, all I could find was that he also did some arrangeing for a Cleanhead Vinson date on Bethlehem, (see here) and that his son is a sax instructor at Malverne School of Music, Inc. Quoth the Internet:

Premik Russell Tubbs began his music training early in life studying theory and piano with his father Harry Tubbs, who was a notable big band arranger. He also studied with the legendary Ornette Coleman and at Boston's Berklee College of Music for a two-year period. A versatile performer, Premik has recorded and toured with many well-known artists such as Whitney Houston, Regina Belle, Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Narada Michael Walden, Lonnie Liston Smith and Clarence Clemons. Currently, he is a member of the Skymusic Ensemble in residency at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine located in New York City. Premik has been teaching saxophone at the Malverne School of Music since 1998.

http://home.flash.net/~smtice/staff.htm

AMG takes you straight to Harry Babasin, which is all well and good, but like Philly's drumming on this cut (the opening section, anyway), not really desireable for the circumstances.

Now Philly Joe... what was his problem? Was he stoned too much to play on, or why is Ed Thigpen on the rest of the date? Also who did the arranging there, because that IS nice! At least I saw that I'm not alone, with Sangrey finding Philly Joe boring, too...

That's cool! Different strokes, I guess! :) I just really dig what Philly's doing on this track; in fact, of all the tracks on that Bethlehem reissue from this session, this is my favorite (I think my answer is gonna infuriate or frustrate a few people here! :g )

But his comments about the piano player on track 7, well....... no accounting for taste! :P  :g  :P  :g

Well, I didn't say I really disliked anything about #7, mainly I found it irritating. Has it been identified already, btw?

Nah, I'm just riffin' on ya! B-) But the piano player IS one of my favorites, specifically for his chameleon-like ability to emulate the Duke and the Count without coming off as a pale imitation. IMHO, anyway! :g

But his comments about the piano player on track 7, well....... no accounting for taste! :P  :g  :P  :g

Well, I didn't say I really disliked anything about #7, mainly I found it irritating. Has it been identified already, btw?

Nah, I'm just riffin' on ya! B-) But the piano player IS one of my favorites, specifically for his chameleon-like ability to emulate the Duke and the Count without coming off as a pale imitation. IMHO, anyway! :g

Nat Pierce, of course, is the first to come to mind with these abilities ...

One of those generic "latin" or "rhumba" beats on the snare (w/the snare off) and the rims that jazz drummers notoriously play whenever you call "Latin" would have worked better than the ching-ching-ching metronome thing. "Authentic", no, but hey, jazz drummers, especially back then, are/were often notoriously unauthentic when it come to things Latin, so what's one more unauthenticity? Maybe Philly wasn't "in the mood", or maybe Thigpen was late to the date. Whatever, the fact that he plays so unimaginatively and cuts out after one tune tells me that there's more here than meets the eye, even if not the ear...

I have imagined many different patterns, and none seems to fit real well ..... maybe Tubbs thought up the bass riff and left it open for the drummer. And as Philly Joe really doesn't sound that inspired here ..... in any case, it would have to be played very dicretely here to work.

Edited by mikeweil

Nat Pierce, of course, is the first to come to mind with these abilities ...

Nope, 'taint Pierce!

Initials are J.J., and he's pretty obscure, as far as I can tell!