Welcome to the "Jazz Radio" forum!

Jim Alfredson

I thought it would be cool for our members who also happen to be part of the broadcast industry to share information about their upcoming shows, archives, special events, etc. Also, feel free to list your favorite jazz station past or present!

B-)

When I lived the single life in New York City, late '60s to early '80s, my favorite radio station was WRVR-FM. Ed Beach was the host of a jazz program that each day devoted two hours to a particular artist. Ed was quite diligent in that he always seemed to play the best stuff and if it was a prolifically recorded artist, he would devote two shows. He would give biographical as well as discographical information, all in a very resonant baritone. I learned a lot about the music back then. Wish I would have taped just one of his programs.

I thought it would be cool for our members who also happen to be part of the broadcast industry to share information about their upcoming shows, archives, special events, etc. Also, feel free to list your favorite jazz station past or present!

B-)

Thanks! A place to announce those WKCR fests!

I live in the New York area so the two stations we have are WKCR (www.wkcr.org) and WBGO (www.wbgo.org). I'm grateful to have them both but WKCR is more professional. They also have the birthday broadcasts. You'll get a wider variety, including new groups and songs from WBGO but they play more straight ahead which is their motto.

Through iTunes there are also some stations I like WKJZ and North Carolina State University jazz station.

I live in the New York area so the two stations we have are WKCR (www.wkcr.org) and WBGO (www.wbgo.org).  I'm grateful to have them both but WKCR is more professional.  They also have the birthday broadcasts.  You'll get a wider variety, including new groups and songs from WBGO but they play more straight ahead which is their motto.

Through iTunes there are also some stations I like WKJZ and North Carolina State University jazz station.

I listened to WKCR for many years prior to moving to Florida 11 years ago. I also taped many a broadcast emanating from Columbia University via WKCR that I still have and value. "Jazz Alternatives" the nightly show was always my favorite.

The one negative and evidently I'm in a minority about this, considering all the acclaim the man gets, is the ubiquitous presence of Phil Schaap. I assume that per minute his show is on the air, there is still more of him talking than music being played. When I would drive to work in the morning, I would put on his "Bird Flight" program. I could sometimes do the entire 20 minute commute without hearing a note from Bird, just anecdotes and questionable analyses galore from Mr. Schaap. (Mind you, this is a commercial-free radio station)! A friend of mine used to refer to him as Phil Schud-up already! What really bugged me is Schaap's implicit attitude that you, the listener, know nothing about the history of the music. Very patronizing IMO.

Still, WKCR is a wonderful jazz resource in the New York metropolitan area. And I suppose that if you know nothing about jazz and are eager to learn, then Phil Schaap will be right down your alley.

Edited by MartyJazz

In the UK, the premier jazz programme for me is "Jazz Record Requests", for many years presented by the marvellous Peter Clayton but taken over after his very sad death by Geoffrey Smith

geoffrey_smith.jpg who is from Michigan I believe but lives in this country now. By sending in to the prgramme, you can get to hear things you normally couldn't ever hear and playlists are published on the BBC website. No commercials of course, it's the BBC! There is lots and lots of interesting stuff in the BBC archives if you can find out about it.

There is a two hour show today (Christmas Day) from 1600 hrs GMT and the playlist is:-

Love for Sale (Porter)

Performed by Stan Kenton and his Orchestra: Stan Kenton (pno), Bud Brisbois (tpt), Rolf Ericson (tpt), Bill Mathieu (tpt), Roger Middleton (tpt), Kent Larsen (tbn), Archie Le Coque (tbn), Don Sebesky (tbn), Jim Amlotte (b/tbn), Bob Knight (b/sx), Charlie Mariano (a/sx), Ronnie Rubin (t/sx), Bill Trujillo (t/sx), Marvin Holladay (b/sx), Jack Nimitz (b/sx), Jimmy Campbell (dms), Mike Pacheco (Cuban dms), Pete Chivily (bs)

Recorded 10 October 1959, Lafayette

Taken from the album Road Show

CD (Capitol CDP 7 96328 2)

Take the A Train (Strayhorn)

Performed by Dave Brubeck (pno), Paul Desmond (a/sx), Bob Bates (bs), Joe Dodge (dms)

Recorded 26 March 1954

Taken from the album The Essential Dave Brubeck

2003 CD (Columbia/Legacy 510594 2)

Originally released on the album Jazz Goes to College

The Christmas Song (Tormé, Wells)

Performed by Stacey Kent (voc), Jim Tomlinson (a/sx), David Newton (pno), Dave Chamberlain (bs), Matt Home (dms)

Recorded 2002

Taken from the single The Christmas Song

2003 CD (Candid 45002)

Christmastime is Coming (Hopkins)

Performed by Lightnin' Hopkins (voc, gtr)

Recorded 1950s

Taken from the album The King of the Blues

LP (Pickwick PC-3013)

Struttin' with Some Barbecue (Armstrong)

Performed by Humphrey Lyttelton (tpt), John Picard (tbn), Jimmy Skidmore (t/sx), Tony Coe (a/sx, clt), Joe Temperley (b/sx), Ian Armitt (pno), Brian Brocklehurst (bs), Eddie Taylor (dms)

Recorded May 1958, London

Taken from the album Humph in Perspective

1958 LP (Parlophone PMC 1070)

Swingin' the Berry's* (Trad.)

Performed by Emmett Berry (tpt), Guy Lafitte (t/sx), Sammy Price (pno), Pops Foster (bs), Freddy Moore (dms)

Recorded 6 January 1956, Paris

Taken from the album Emmett Berry and his Orchestra

LP (Columbia S 1107)

* Correct spelling: not 'Berries'

Parisian Thoroughfare (Powell)

Performed by Bud Powell (pno), Curly Russell (bs), Max Roach (dms)

Recorded 1 May 1951, New York City

Taken from the album The Best of Bud Powell

1989 CD (Blue Note CDP 793204 2)

Hence the Real Reason (Anderson)

Performed by BassDrumBone: Ray Anderson (tbn), Mark Helias (bs), Gerry Hemingway (dms)

Recorded 9 March 1996, Amsterdam

Taken from the album BassDrumBone (Hence the Reason)

1997 CD (ENJA ENJ-9322 2)

http://www.rayanderson.net

Chimes Blues (Oliver)

Performed by Teddy Buckner (tpt), Joe Darensbourg (clt), William Woodman Snr (tbn), Harvey O. Brooks (pno), Arthur Edwards (bs), Jesse Sailes (dms)

Recorded 15 October 1955, Los Angeles

Taken from the album Teddy Buckner in Concert at the Dixieland Jubilee

LP (Vogue LAE 12026)

Ko-Ko (Parker)

Performed by Charlie Parker (a/sx), Red Rodney (tpt), Al Haig (pno), Tommy Potter (bs), Roy Haynes (dms)

Recorded 25 December 1948, New York City

Taken from the album Charlie Parker 1947-1948

1983 LP (Festival ALB 376 B)

Entr'acte (Tchaikovsky, arr. Ellington)

Performed by Duke Ellington and his Orchestra: Duke Ellington (pno), Ray Nance (tpt), Willie Cook (tpt), Andres Meringuito (tpt), Eddie Mullins (tpt), Juan Tizol (v/tbn), Lawrence Brown (tbn), Britt Woodman (tbn), Booty Wood (tbn), Johnny Hodges (a/sx), Russell Procope (a/sx), Paul Gonzalves (t/sx), Jimmy Hamilton (t/sx), Harry Carney (b/sx), Aaron Bell (bs), Sam Woodyard (dms)

Recorded 26 May 1960, Hollywood

Taken from the album The Nutcracker Suite

CD (Columbia 472356 2) © 1960

Winter Wonderland (Bernard, Smith)

Performed by Shirley Horn (voc), Roy Hargrove (tpt), Don Sickler (flg), Jesse David (a/sx), Ron Blake (t/sx), Stephen Scott (pno), Mark Whitfield (gtr), Christian McBride (bs), Billy Drummond (dms)

Recorded 9, 11, 19 or 23 April 1996, New York City

Taken from the album Verve Presents: the Very Best of Christmas Jazz

2001 CD (Verve 549 067-2)

Acknowledgement (Coltrane)

Performed by John Coltrane (t/sx), McCoy Tyner (pno), Jimmy Garrison (bs), Elvin Jones (dms)

Recorded 9 December 1964, Englewood Cliffs

Taken from the album A Love Supreme

1986 CD (MCA MCAD 5660)

Dal'Ouna on the Return (Trad. arr. Atzmon)

Performed by Gilad Atzmon and the Orient House Ensemble: Gilad Atzmon (clt), Yaron Stavi (bs), Asaf Sirkis (perc), Peter Watson (acc), Reem Kelani (voc)

Taken from the album Exile

2003 CD (TipToe TIP-888 844 2)

http://www.gilad.co.uk

Leave Room in Your Heart for Me (Dobson, Johnson)

Performed by Budd Johnson (t/sx), Charlie Shavers (tpt), Ray Bryant (pno), Joe Benjamin (bs), Jo Jones (dms)

Recorded 14 February 1958, New York City

Taken from the album Blues à la Mode

1986 LP (Affinity AFF 169)

Steak Face (Trad.)

Performed by Louis Armstrong and the All Stars: Louis Armstrong (tpt), Jack Teagarden (tbn), Barney Bigard (clt), Dick Cary (pno), Arvell Shaw (bs), Big Sid Catlett (dms)

Recorded 30 November 1947, Symphony Hall, Boston

Taken from the album Satchmo at Symphony Hall

1996 CD (GRP GRP 16612)

Apple Jam - Jam Session 1 (Band)

Performed by Harry 'Sweets' Edison (tpt), Benny Carter (a/sx), Willie Smith (a/sx), Buddy DeFranco (clt), Wardell Gray (t/sx), Stan Getz (t/sx), Count Basie (pno), Freddie Green (gtr), John Simmons (bs), Buddy Rich (dms)

Recorded 3 August 1953, Hollywood

Taken from the album Apple Jam - Jam Session One

2003 CD (OCIUM OCM0035)

We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Trad.)

Performed by Art Hodes (pno)

Recorded 18 June 1987, Moot Court Auditorium, University of Windsor, Ontario

Taken from the album Joy to the Jazz World

LP (Parkwood PW 108)

Great variety!

In the UK, the premier jazz programme for me is "Jazz Record Requests", for many years presented by the marvellous Peter Clayton but taken over after his very sad death by Geoffrey Smith

A wonderful programme that introduced me to so much jazz...why I first heard Kind of Blue (well, 'Blue in Green') there in 1977.

I love its sheer range.

And Peter Clayton was one of the great broadcasters. His Sunday night programme in the 70s was another great educator for me.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I've said it before and will say it again now- WEMU, your home for jazz, news and blues, from the Eastern Michigan University campus, Ypsilanti, MI!! Great NPR station that plays jazz throughout the day, except for the NPR programming (Fresh Air, All things Considered, etc), and blues on Sunday nights. Even heard Zappa played once or twice. I've also caught them playing Organissimo as I was on the way to one of their shows last year