What's your local jazz station...

Jim Alfredson

Once again, on the JazzWeek web site, they have a extensive list of station with all of the adddresses and programer contact info. Save yourself the time.

If you want to be involved as not only a artist but a record label, you may want to join JazzWeek and attend their anual conference; this year it is in Syracuse during the Festival there. At the conference, while they focus on Jazz Radio, there are many label and promotion people who attend.

Here is another Locke and Lonnie for you!

Edited by marcello

There are only a few 24 hour Jazz stations in the States; maybe the world.

WGMC in Rochester, New York

KUVO in Denver

KSDS in San Diego

WBGO in Newark / NYC

KKJZ in L.A.

I'll add another 24 hr station in St. Louis.

http://www.siue.edu/WSIE/frames.html A godsend during the commute! The Standards in Jazz timeslot always has in studio spots throughout the week. Most of the late night slots are sindicated though.

The other NPR affiliate has an excellent Sunday Evening show as well.

http://www.kwmu.org/Programs/Jazz%20Unlimited/index.html

Good Luck!

If you're really interested in getting airplay you should at least consider hiring an outside promoter to work your record.

I've been contacted by two different promoters. The problem is they are extremely expensive. $2500 for 8 weeks of promoting one record on 100 jazz stations. Considering our last disc cost $6000, including hiring Ron, studio time and mixing, and the cost of 1,000 discs, that's a lot of money.

We broke even on our first run of 1,000 discs. We are not anywhere near breaking even on our second run. Add $2500 and we're further in the hole. It's just not possible unless we can get a label behind us.

My immediate plan is to get the next CD (and the current one for that matter) in the hands of the guys that have syndicated shows, like Parlocha. We already got our record into the hands of Jim Wilke (who also listed the album as one of his top 2003 releases) and he's heard on over 60 NPR stations nationwide. Not bad. Bonnie Grice and Parlocha are the other big ones I'd like to get.

Oh yes, I know it's terribly expensive and not likely to get you a lot of sales, but if you want airplay nationwide that's what it takes. But nationwide airplay isn't what a lot of artists really need - you need to ask yourself what your goal is and be reasonable. If you want to get "signed" to a label - you need to ask yourself why and if that is realistic. Jazz is a way to turn a big fortune into a small one very quickly. I know people who have spent 25k on a independent cd, radio, print promotion, and have little to nothing to show for it. Maybe that wasn't the right move for them.

If you're really interested in getting airplay you should at least consider hiring an outside promoter to work your record.

I know people who have spent 25k on a independent cd, radio, print promotion, and have little to nothing to show for it. Maybe that wasn't the right move for them.

I would add that with a larger group, $25K for production and mastering ALONE would be considered a very frugal budget ( assuming that all involved were paid a reasonable amount for their efforts )

I did my first ( and only ) CD turnkey for $23.5 ..and considering that Origins help and a lot of compter and emailing time, I managed to get the sucker up to the #50 spot on the JazzWeek airplay list ..plus gained a Grammy nomination much to my surprise ..

and yes, I do still have about 500 units in the garage and no, I wasn't silly enough to assume I'd likely break even ..

but it's a calling card ..and may gain me some "participation" in the next CD!

who knows ??

:tup:tup:tup

I posted this elsewhere before realizing it fits better here-

I've said it before and will say it again now- WEMU, your home for jazz, news and blues, from the Eastern Michigan University campus, Ypsilanti, MI!! Great NPR station that plays jazz throughout the day, except for the NPR programming (Fresh Air, All things Considered, etc), and blues on Sunday nights. Even heard Zappa played once or twice. I've also caught them playing Organissimo as I was on the way to one of their shows last year