Francesca Tanksley Trio - JOURNEY

JSngry

Again, heavy rotation on KNTU (aw hell, if anybody's interested, they do streaming audio http://www.kntu.fm ) has caused a new release to get my attention above the usual drone of clone jazz and jazz golden oldies-but-goodies.

This time it's a release by longtime Billy Harper pianist Francesca Tanksley, joined by Harper bandmates Clarence Seay &

Newman Taylor Baker. I've always dug Tanksley'swork w/Harper. She's not a startingly "original stylist" (her work w/Harper is steeped in Tyner, but as an influence, not as a source to plunder and plagerize), but I think she has nevertheless asserted a strong personality within a preexisting style. Besides, this album shows her range and depth - there are pieces, STRONG pieces, that are not at all Tyneresque. Her playing has a certain "serenity" for me that provides a dimension that many other players lack. Serenity, but not blandness or "easy" content. As well, I very much like the way that she's always been able to flow naturally within Billy's forms - not as easy a task as you might think. Some of the pieces here have those long and winding forms, but, again, they do not sound imitative. In terms of finding distinctly original substance within existing parameters, a comparison to Bertha Hope may not be totally off base, but that's just my impression.

The 2 or 3 cuts I've heard off this new disc all have that same quality of originality within a traditional "style". Tanksley is a musician/composer well past the "look at me!" stage and has been for quite some time (if indeed she was ever there at all). I hear a definite, distinct voice in both the playing and the composing, and that's the first thing I look for in a new release (and often the last thing I find...).

I think she's only selling this disc through her website: http://www.dreamcallerproductions.com/dream/music.html

Just wondering if anybody was familiar w/the entire album. This might appeal to many on the board here, I think. There's RealPlayer :tdown samples on the site, and I'm very much liking what I'm hearing.

Edited by JSngry

Jim, Your words are exactly on point. I think the whole album is superb. You speak correctly about a certain serenity in her playing - all I would add is the word cerebral but not in a pretentious way. While I'm not all that familiar with her work with Harper, the work on Journey certainly displays a "distinct voice" and a confidence that comes across rock solid. Francesca's the real deal.