Recorded on this day ....

Gary

This might be a crap idea for a thread (or been done before) , but I noticed a couple of people mentioning playing CDs on the anniversary of the recording date , a few of us have been playing the 'complete plugged nickle box' over the last couple of days & the AOTW was recorded on Dec 24 .

Maybe if we can keep this going it might remind of us of some forgotten favourites.

Heres another that was recorded on Dec 24 (and its a beauty).

d10925rik83.jpg

Dec 24, 1964

Edited by Gary

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Christmas period has historically been a extraordinary time for jazz recordings, I suppose because a lot of artists come off the road and are home for the holidays, so you can get everyone in one place.

1958 - Donald Byrd: Off To The Races

1958 - Sarah Vaughan: No Count Sarah

1958 - Melba Liston: And Her 'Bones

1958 - Gerry Mulligan: What Is There To Say

1958 - Ira Sullivan: Nicky's Tune

1958 - John Coltrane: (prestige)

1958 - Milt Jackson: Bags' Opus

1958 - Bud Powell: The Scene Changes

1958 - Zoot Sims & Bob Brookmeyer: Stretching Out

1958 - Chico Hamilton: Gongs East

and sometimes there are great live shows while at home:

1958 - Town Hall, NYC: Miles Davis; Art Blakey; Sonny Rollins; Anita O'Day; J.J. Johnson - all on one bill.

Just days before, Blakey had returned from Paris, where the Club Saint-German album had been recorded.

Mike

Today is the 50th anniversary of one of the most famous jazz recordings ever made, one that no serious jazz collection should be without, i.e., the Prestige session under Miles Davis's leadership which featured Thelonious Monk and Milt Jackson. Two takes of "The Man I Love" as well as two takes of "Bags' Groove", etc. Miles' anger with Monk's comping has been well documented and discussed throughout the jazz literature. Nevertheless, some essential as well as beautiful music was made the day (or was it night?) before Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

On this day:

1) 1948, Charlie Parker Quintet were recorded via broadcast at the "Royal Roost" performing "Half Nelson", "White Christmas" and "Little Willie Leaps" (Savoy)

2) 1949, Charlie Parker and the Stars of Modern Jazz (Jass). Groups led by Bird, Bud Powell, Stan Getz, Lennie Tristano, etc., and featuring Miles, Serge Chaloff and others, performed at Carnegie Hall. Great CD if you can find it.

Any studio recordings on Christmas day? - highly doubtful I would think

Edited by MartyJazz

On December 26, 1958, John Coltrane recorded his last session as a leader for Prestige. Tunes performed that day in a quintet with Freddie Hubbard were: "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?", "Then I'll be Tired of You", "Something I Dreamed Last Night". Quartet recordings that day were "Bahia" and "Time After Time". Finally, Red Garland sat out and the Coltrane trio performed "Goldsboro Express". These were issued on various LPs and finally collated together on the Coltrane Prestige box set.

December 27th. On this day in:

1) 1947, Woody Herman & his Orchestra recorded the initial version for Columbia of what was to become a signature piece for the next 40 years, "Four Brothers";

2) also in 1947, Art Blakey's "Messengers" which included Kenny Dorham and Sahib Shihab recorded several tracks for Blue Note, ultimately reissued on the "New Sounds" CD (which co featured a group led by James Moody);

3) 1957, Jackie McLean recorded an LP of music titled "Fat Jazz" for Jubilee ultimately reissued on Fresh Sound

4) 1974, Charles Mingus began a recording session which culminated four days thereafter, the fruits of which were issued on "Changes One" and Changes Two" (Atlantic)

Bud's THE SCENE CHANGES session was actually recorded on the following day, i.e., December 29, 1958 according to the Bud discographies I've seen.

For December 28th, we have the following:

1) 1943, Lester Young Quartet records four relatively famous tracks, "Just You, Just Me", "I Never Knew", "Afternoon of a Basie-ite" and "Sometimes I'm Happy", all available with alternate takes on:

c3850452qk4.jpg

2) 1958, Milt Jackson begins a two day session with Art Farmer and Benny Golson among others for the following United Artists record later reissued by Blue Note:

f51240wf0fd.jpg

3) 1959, Bill Evans, Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian record this session for Riverside:

e05425if16p.jpg

4) 1961, Clifford Jordan begins a Jazzland session that extends to January of the following year:

f54195tsgd7.jpg

5) 1984, Phil Woods with Tom Harrell aboard begins a two day session on this album (Evidence CD):

c259583pt01.jpg

6) 1990, David Murray and a quartet record an entire session titled SUNRISE SUNSET strangely released under the name, "The Bob Thiele Collective" (Red Baron CD). No image that I could find.

7) 1991, Joe Lovano records the entire session titled FROM THE SOUL (Blue Note):

c47037uqh6q.jpg

Several other albums I like that were recorded on December 28:

1956: Kenny Burrell & The Prestige All Stars - All Night Long. Recorded in A jam session with Donald Byrd, Hank Mobley, Jerome Richardson, Mal Waldron, Doug Watkins, Art Taylor.

f77573laomk.jpg

1991: Ronnie Cuber - Cubism.

cubismcd.jpg

1961: Les McCan - In New York. A session with Stan Turrentine and Blue Mitchell, recorded live at the Village Vanguard.

c07749mdfn4.jpg

1997: Steve Turre - Lotus Flower.

f40070kh4da.jpg

December 28, 1940

RCA-Victor recording session at Studio A.

Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra: Rex Stewart, c; Wallace Jones, Ray Nance, t; Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, tb; Juan Tizol, vtb; Barney Bigard, cl; Johnny Hodges, ss, as, cl; Otto Hardwick, as, bsx; Ben Webster, ts; Harry Carney, cl, as, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy, g; Jimmie Blanton, b; Sonny Greer, d; Billy Strayhorn replaces Ellington on "Flamingo."

-The sidewalks of New York

-Flamingo

-The Girl In My Dreams Tries To Look Like You

-The Girl In My Dreams Tries To Look Like You

December 28, 1953. Chicago.

Capitol recording session at Universal Studios.

Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra: Cat Anderson, Willie Cook, Ray Nance, Clark Terry, t; Quentin Jackson, George Jean, Britt Woodman, tb; Russell Procope, as, cl; Rick Henderson, as; Paul Gonsalves, ts; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Harry Carney, bs, bcl; Duke Ellington, p; Wendell Marshall, b; Dave Black, d.

-Night time

-Stompin´ at the Savoy

December 28, 1966. New York.

Duke Ellington recording session at RCA Studio B.

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra: Cat Anderson, Cootie Williams, t; Johnny Hodges, as; Paul Gonsalves, ts; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; John Lamb, b; Rufus Jones, d

-Draggin´ blues

-Cotton tail

-Now ain´t it?

-The last go-round

(published in the Private Collection, vol. 8 on Saja label)

Bud's THE SCENE CHANGES session was actually recorded on the following day, i.e., December 29, 1958 according to the Bud discographies I've seen.

I took the date from the RVG, I noticed that AMG had the recording date as the 29th also, I wonder how many incorrect sleeve dates will appear in future..

From the Milies losin site an interesting one -

December 28, 1967 (1 item; TT = 7:04)

Miles Davis Quintet plus Joe Beck

Miles Davis (tpt, chimes, tubular bells); Wayne Shorter (ts); Herbie Hancock (el-p, clavinet); Joe Beck (g); Ron Carter (b); Tony Williams (d)

Water on the Pond (M. Davis) (take 9/10) 7:04

Splice at 2:14

There is a barely audible second drum part in the right channel throughout (a stick on the rim of a snare drum). The identity of the drummer is a mystery. As on "Circle in the Round" from earlier in December, Beck does not solo but simply doubles Carter's bass line.

December 29th. Recorded on this day:

1) 1953, Oscar Pettiford Sextet with Charles Mingus:

f85857co2nz.jpg

2) 1958, Chico Hamilton chamber jazz group with Eric Dolphy, 1st day of a 2 day session:

c68308h63wq.jpg

3) 1961, Yusef Lateef Quartet with Barry Harris and Elvin Jones:

f33771ffor2.jpg

4) 1963, Bobby Hutcherson records THE KICKER with Joe Henderson and Duke Pearson:

d710392c1db.jpg

5) 1979, Steve Lacy Trio with Dennis Charles:

e09586q69vp.jpg

and as mentioned previously, Bud Powell's THE SCENE CHANGES (1958)

December 30, 1947. New York.

Columbia recording session at Liederkranz Hall.

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra: Shorty Baker, Al Killian, t; Lawrence Brown, tb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d.

-A Woman And A Man (Ellington-Russell)

[Dolores Parker, vocal]

Shorty Baker, t; Johnny Hodges, as; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d.

-The Clothed Woman (Ellington)

Shorty Baker, Al Killian, t; Lawrence Brown, tb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs; Duke Ellington, p; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d.

-New York City Blues (Ellington)

Shorty Baker, Al Killian, t; Lawrence Brown, Tyree Glenn, tb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Al Sears, ts; Duke Ellington, p; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d.

-Let's Go Blues (Ellington)