Today is Don Pullen's Birthday

B. Goren.

Don Pullen was born on Christmas, 1941. He was too young to die, almost 10 years ago. Pullen was an amazing pianist. Since I discovered him (2-3 years ago) I spent countless number of hours listening to his music and to the groups he led together with Adam and without him. The tune he wrote in memory of George Adams Ah, George, We Hardly Knew Ya is one of his best compositions and demonstrates his compositional talent. I can imagine he is celebrating today with some good friends like Adams, Richmond and Mingus.

I'll spin some of CDs today and I'm gonna start with the The Sixth Sense.

B0000010XU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

pullen.jpg

Edited by B. Goren.

Bentsy are you familiar with his Healing Force?

What other recommendations you have for a Pullen newbie?

1. Yes.

2. A short list of recommended Pullen CD's:

The Sixth Sense.

City Gates (with Adams).

Live Again, with the African Brazilian Connection at Montreax.

Ode to Life, with the African Brazilian Connection.

Live at the V.V, with Adams, two volumes.

Tomorrow's Promises, with Adams.

I'm waiting for the Mosaic set.

I was fortunate to catch Don Pullen with Mingus back in the mid '70s, and then later as part of the Adams-Pullen Quartet, both groups featuring Dannie Richmond on drums, mostly at the Village Vanguard. Every time was exciting, but one I really remember was a free concert they gave back in the early '80s at the Prospect Park bandshell in Brooklyn, NY. With a free concert, many people show up who may not have a clue as to what they're going to see. That's the impression I got that day from many in the crowd. Anyway, Adams and Pullen put on a tremendous show, captivating that crowd in the process. It was great to see people excited, cheering and clamoring for more when it ended. Both Adams and Pullen left us much too early.

Bentsy are you familiar with his Healing Force?

What other recommendations you have for a Pullen newbie?

1. Yes.

2. A short list of recommended Pullen CD's:

The Sixth Sense.

City Gates (with Adams).

Live Again, with the African Brazilian Connection at Montreax.

Ode to Life, with the African Brazilian Connection.

Live at the V.V, with Adams, two volumes.

Tomorrow's Promises, with Adams.

I'm waiting for the Mosaic set.

I would add:

Life Line (with Adams, "Run John Henry, Run" alone being worth the price of admission)

New Beginnings (Pullen's trio debut with Blue Note)

I played Don's solo piece "Ode To Life" and "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" with George Adams last night on my radio program. I was featuring music for the holidays and didn't want to play the same old Christmas tunes. Subliminally, I must have known it was his birthday. His playing is so spiritual.

Don and George with Cameron Brown and Dannie Richmond used to play the old 1369 Club in Cambridge often. We never missed them.

Always Know

I was fortunate to catch Don Pullen with Mingus back in the mid '70s...

If I only could get into the time tunnel and go back to the early 90's to see pullen and Adams...

I sounds like you need (if you don't already have) the Mosaic Select Don Pullen, which has the last two Adams Pullen albums (on Blue Note) and the two Pullen Trios on Blue Note.

A word to the wise, there's some great Adams and Pullen on the hard to find Horo label (out-of-print LP only) under the names of Adams, Pullen, and Dannie Richmond.

The Mosaic is a beauty, with 2 albums (Breakthrough & Song Everlasting) with the quartet with Adams and 2 trio albums (New Beginnings & Random Thoughts, the former with Tony Williams.) I'm not sure if they had to do it because of song length, but chosing to end the 3rd with "Silence = Death" (the rest of the album is on disc 2) works very well paired with the song that precedes it, "Ode to Life (For Maurice Quesnell.)"

I'm very happy I picked this one up!

I was fortunate to see the Adams/Pullen Quartet a few times. Always incredibly entertaining!

I recommend "Earth Beams", if it can still be found anywhere.

Also the Mingus albums with these guys: "Mingus Moves" and "Changes One & Two" are good starters. I wonder why Atlantic hasn't re-packaged the "Changes" albums together....perhaps with additional tracks?

The first place I became aware of him was on a Scofield video called "Live Three Ways" -meaning duo, trio, and quartet. The trio was with Pullen on B3 and Marvin Smith on drums. Pullen was absolutely BURNING! I wish there was an album of that group.

Wasn't this supposed to come out as a record?

A DVD version will be out on Feb. 1.