Keith Jarrett recommendations

EKE BBB

I have some seven or eight CDs by Keith Jarrett, and I really like what I´ve heard so far.

Willing to expand my collection, I ask for your recommendations. Be sure I´ll them into account! ;)

I´d suggest you to give three or four names in each one of these categories:

-KJ trio playing standards (both jazz standards or pop standards)

-KJ trio playing "out" stuff

-other recordings (solo piano, other ensembles...)

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need "Changeless" for the out session (so to speak, non-standard playing).

I love "Staircase" and "Koln Concert" as far as solo material goes. Excellent stuff, though I feel that way about nearly all of it.

As for "standards trio," I think they're all excellent. . . ."Whisper Not" may be a good starting point.

If you're really feeling adventurous, try "Spirits"--an interesting effort in which Keith plays various flutes and stringed and percusion instruments.

His "Book Of Ways" harpsichord two cd set is likewise adventurous and oftren stunning. Not your father's harpsichord music. Likewise his "Hymns/Spheres" two lp set (or one cd "Spheres") treatment of pipe organ is stimulating and very different. (The two lp set has opening and concluding hynmns that are to die for which are not on the cd).

as Lon said, definitely this one:

B00004WMZ9.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And if you're in for some really nice, very personal, and simple playing, check this one out:

B00002EPJH.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It contains the first recordings after Jarrett's recovery from that strange disease he was suffering of. No big improvisations, just Jarrett at the piano playing some nice songs.

ubu

Likewise his "Hymns/Spheres" two lp set (or one cd "Spheres") treatment of pipe organ is stimulating and very different. (The two lp set has opening and concluding hynmns that are to die for which are not on the cd).

I could not have said this better myself, Jazzbo. The 'Hymns Spheres' 2LP set is a stunning achievement, sounds awesome if you have a decent turntable (check out the resonances when he pulls those stops out) and that introductory hymn is an immensely moving piece of work. :tup

Just got that "Melody" Flurin; going to have to listen to it soon! :rolleyes:

You shall like it, I assume! It's a very low-profile album, rather intense, actually, if you know the story of his illness that stands behind. Need to listen to it again soon.

Among the few trio discs I have, this one is another favourite:

B000024HUL.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I might be biased on this, as I got it when I was maybe fifteen, and fell in love with it instantly. One of my first jazz discs.

ubu

Channel 4 recently ran a TV documentary about Jarrett with lots of participation from him (and with input from biographer Ian Carr). There was an excerpt of the original version he taped for his wife of 'The Melody at Night With You'. Sounded stunning. Amazing stuff considering his level of incapacitation at the time. Recorded in couple-of-minute bursts apparently.

These are my two favourite solo Jarretts:

B0000261LJ.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

B0000261GX.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

I'd urge you to hear the 'American Quartet' from the 70s. A great single disc is:

B0000031PO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But these two boxes of the Impulse recordings are outstanding:

d16246uuhv7.jpg

B000025FVN.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

And this one with the European Quartet is gorgeous:

d767046b4dt.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'd urge you to hear the 'American Quartet' from the 70s. A great single disc is:

B0000031PO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think this one is a little better:

B00001QGOM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(Though if you eventually decide to spring for the Impulse box set, some of it will be duplicated.)

isn't all of Fort Yawuh on the Impulse box??

I'm not sure if you know Paul Bley's music very much; if not try 'Open to Love' on ECM.

e03367rzh2l.jpg

It inhabits a very similar sound world to 'Facing You'. One of my favourite CDs.

From there you have another pianist with a vast catalogue to explore. Currently one of my favourite musicians.

This 2004 album makes an interesting contrast with current Jarrett:

g31340tpcmi.jpg

I'm not trying to say A is better than B here; merely that Bley shares similarities with Jarrett in some places; elsewhere he goes in a very different dirrection.

Thanks, Bev!

I know Paul Bley, though not very deeply.

So far I only have "Hommage to Carla" & "The life of a trio: Sunday" with Giuffre/Swallow.

And as a sideman, "Sonny meets Hawk" and (I´m talking by memory) he also plays on some tracks of "Mingus revisited", doesn´t he?