Keith Jarrett recommendations

EKE BBB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to say A is better than B here; merely that Bley shares similarities with Jarrett in some places; elsewhere he goes in a very different dirrection.

I will!

I do not find much substance in Keith Jarrett's production.

Paul Bley however keeps renewing himself and is able to move into various directions that make his albums - and he is recording a lot - so rewarding by the depth of the expressed feelings.

Bley's music is demanding, taking him to a much higher level than KJ.

Funny, but I'm just the opposite (who'da thunk? :lol: ). I've been listening to Bley ever since I picked up Open, To Love after the old RS record guide gave it five stars back in '80 or so, and I have my share of Bley discs that I pick up either due to rave reviews or my expectation of finally getting him. But as much as I like some of it, Bley just leaves me cold compared to KJ. I don't see them as similar pianists at all (at least most of the time - a BFT a few months back offered up an older Bley track that I mistook for Jarrett and really dug). Don't get me wrong: I listen to Bley with open ears and would never put him down as an artist, but I just don't see the persistant similarities to Jarrett. To me Bley is much more clinical and intellectual, while Jarrett is more bluesy, folksy, and emotional in his playing. Nothing wrong with either style, of course, but I respond much more strongly to Jarrett than Bley.

p/s1: Brownie-- do you read Thomas Bernhard much or did i ask you this alreaady?

Can't remember if you asked before. Reply would have been the same as now. Need to read more of him. Whatever I could catch hit me in the right places.

Only change is that I will be retiring very shortly and plan to indulge in extensive readings. And Thomas Bernhardt is at the top of the list!

Hate to mention him in a KJ thread. They don't belong together...

IIRC, there is a 7 cd box called something like "Humming, 1993". This is the one to get. The last page of the booklet lists a phone number where you can get your own personal insult for making sounds during the performance. :unsure:

who wrote the liner notes?

• 2 months later...

Jazzmatazz lists an upcoming 2 CD release:

Keith Jarrett: Radiance -2 CDs- (ECM) May 3 - solo piano

(pre-order at cduniverse.com for only $13,99)

At least it's something different this time. I was excited when he mentioned in the liner notes to Inside Out that he would be releasing more of the same stuff in the future- I didn't know he meant only ONE more release!!

• 2 years later...

bump...

Surprisingly (to me), I found a used copy of "Personal Mountains" the other day locally. This is one I hadn't seen anywhere before, used or new, but after a couple of spins in the car, it's seems like it might be an overlooked gem.

It was recorded live in Tokyo in April 1979, but not released until '89. It's the European Quartet (Jarrett, Garbarek, Danielsson, and Christensen), and the concert was roughly one week before the one that resulted in "Nude Ants". I like this disc so far - it sounds great, and the performance is great as well.

If you don't care for Jarrett (or Garbarek), this probably won't change your feelings, but if you do, it's worth checking out.

31Z4W91ZRHL._AA240_.jpg

If you don't care for Jarrett (or Garbarek), this probably won't change your feelings, but if you do, it's worth checking out.

I think Garbarek's playing during the first half of the tune "Personal Mountains" might actually surprise some people if they are not familiar with his avant-garde roots. It's pretty intense, not new-agey at all.

Guy

I don't own a whole lot of Jarrett, just two Impulse!'s: Treasure Island and Mysteries. Treasure is just ok, but I really like Mysteries quite a bit. So I would recommend it, if its easy to track dowm (I think its still available in a box set and on Verve's vault site).

Guest donald petersen

i read "the woodcutters" recently. i was supposed to read it during college but skipped it and figure it was finally time to take it off the shelf.

i was just listening to a jarrett live recording from the mid 1970s where he flips out about a photographer and says something like "if you take photos, we stop." and then he goes on to say "i authorize anyone in the audience to prevent people from taking photographs." or something like that. and there is sort of awkward applause. maybe the concert was from europe or japan and most of the audience didn't even know what he was saying...but what did he want? people to start tackling would be photographers?

i thought i liked treasure island, but i don't. same with el juice.

i think i am going to stick with live recordings.

i stil don't understand why "eyes of the heart" gets so much flack. what makes it any worse than other jarrett of the time?

the concerts double disc with the bremen and lausanne stuff is pretty nice. i have been listening to that recently-i borrowed my dad's copy.

i was just listening to a jarrett live recording from the mid 1970s where he flips out about a photographer and says something like "if you take photos, we stop." and then he goes on to say "i authorize anyone in the audience to prevent people from taking photographs." or something like that. and there is sort of awkward applause. maybe the concert was from europe or japan and most of the audience didn't even know what he was saying...but what did he want? people to start tackling would be photographers?

I've heard of that incident.

• 10 years later...