Overlooked Altos

jazzbo

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

Steve_Wilson-400x600.jpg

Steve Wilson indeed... first heard him on Ralph Peterson's Blue Notes, been a fan since.

John Park was mentioned on this thread... recorded one LP outside of his Kenton association; info here...

http://homepage3.nifty.com/mrmanri/Etc/JohnPark.htm

For those so inclined, I believe it is still possible to audition this rarity out there in the blogosphere...

Finally, another alto player overdue for some recognition: Ed Jackson, who has recorded with french horn player Tom Varner and whose lone date for New World records, WAKE UP CALL, is worth hearing.

MI0002043281.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Darius Jones, nice tone.

A couple of the times I saw him live, he was wonderous

did you see his alto, piano, drums trio or a more conventional lineup?

I saw his band with Matt Mitchell on piano, not sure the bassist and Ches Smith on drums. Good that night but.....

Incredible with Lafayette Gilcrest's trio with Michael Formanek and Andrew Cyrille with Steve Swell making it a quintet. Stunning

And close to that level was with Gerald Cleaver's Black Host with Brandon Seabrook on guitar, Pascal Niggenkemper on bass and the great Cooper-Moore on piano. First time was late 2010 or 2011 when the band was just formed and they blew the roof off.

ROB BROWN: I like Rob quite a bit yet even overlooked him, so I think he qualifies. A fixture of the Downtown scene, focused, disciplined, with a good sense of ensemble. Hard to see him though, since he appears to tour very little. I've seen him a fair number of times, but only in NYC, and mostly in connection with the Vision Festival.

brownCrownTrunk.jpg1299326202_9138478ba6f60a15f75c930dbeb0b

rightHemiST.jpgRobBrownTrioUnknown.jpg

(Strictly speaking, a Matt Shipp disc)

Jerry Toth.

Wow, that was nice, Ted. Thanks for posting. Jerry was such a lovely player. Puts me in a Paul Desmond frame of mind.

Couple of questions - did you take those pics? I'm sure you were at the session. Anyway, it's a wonderful collage and great to see all the guys from some 30 years ago.

Also I know Jerry was sadly afflicted with Alzheimer's and went to live in a nursing home. Has he passed away?

And speaking of alto players, Boss Brass and Woods (made shortly after this recording) is one of the best big band albums ever recorded. Ever. Period. (IMHO, of course). :). But seriously.

51taLUnfOuL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott