Overlooked Altos

jazzbo

Jerry Toth.

Wow, that was nice, Ted. Thanks for posting. Jerry was such a lovely player. Puts me in a Paul Desmond frame of mind.

Couple of questions - did you take those pics? I'm sure you were at the session. Anyway, it's a wonderful collage and great to see all the guys from some 30 years ago.

Also I know Jerry was sadly afflicted with Alzheimer's and went to live in a nursing home. Has he passed away?

And speaking of alto players, Boss Brass and Woods (made shortly after this recording) is one of the best big band albums ever recorded. Ever. Period. (IMHO, of course). :). But seriously.

51taLUnfOuL._SY300_.jpg

Sad to say, Jerry Toth passed away in March 1999. There's a Wikipedia page about him...

I think I took some of the pictures there, of the producer Fernando Gelbard at 0:37, and 0:54. That's me at 1:13, in my smoking days (and Tennessee Tuxedo).

And speaking of alto players, the guy who sat beside Jerry Toth was a pretty good bop alto, Moe Koffman. This live performance also has some hot Sam Noto trumpet, too.

Gee, You Tube has my old theme song, also. Rob wrote T.O. for me, and later, T.O.2 as a closing theme...

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Toth.

Wow, that was nice, Ted. Thanks for posting. Jerry was such a lovely player. Puts me in a Paul Desmond frame of mind.

Couple of questions - did you take those pics? I'm sure you were at the session. Anyway, it's a wonderful collage and great to see all the guys from some 30 years ago.

Also I know Jerry was sadly afflicted with Alzheimer's and went to live in a nursing home. Has he passed away?

And speaking of alto players, Boss Brass and Woods (made shortly after this recording) is one of the best big band albums ever recorded. Ever. Period. (IMHO, of course). :). But seriously.

51taLUnfOuL._SY300_.jpg

Sad to say, Jerry Toth passed away in March 1999. There's a Wikipedia page about him...

I think I took some of the pictures there, of the producer Fernando Gelbard at 0:37, and 0:54. That's me at 1:13, in my smoking days (and Tennessee Tuxedo).

And speaking of alto players, the guy who sat beside Jerry Toth was a pretty good bop alto, Moe Koffman. This live performance also has some hot Sam Noto trumpet, too.

Gee, You Tube has my old theme song, also. Rob wrote T.O. for me, and later, T.O.2 as a closing theme...

Speaking of Koffman, I recently learned his son made a movie about him entitled "Jazzman". Anyone from the Great White North ever see it?

ROB BROWN: I like Rob quite a bit yet even overlooked him, so I think he qualifies. A fixture of the Downtown scene, focused, disciplined, with a good sense of ensemble. Hard to see him though, since he appears to tour very little. I've seen him a fair number of times, but only in NYC, and mostly in connection with the Vision Festival.

brownCrownTrunk.jpg1299326202_9138478ba6f60a15f75c930dbeb0b

rightHemiST.jpgRobBrownTrioUnknown.jpg

(Strictly speaking, a Matt Shipp disc)

I was going to mention Rob Brown as well, but I've never heard any of his leader dates. All four of those look interesting.

I'd also say Steve Wilson and Greg Abate. I wish that I would've caught Wilson playing in a duo with Lewis Nash in March. I always try to catch Abate when he's in the area, which often seems to be in two-alto groups (Bobby Watson, Phil Woods and Richie Cole).

ROB BROWN: I like Rob quite a bit yet even overlooked him, so I think he qualifies. A fixture of the Downtown scene, focused, disciplined, with a good sense of ensemble. Hard to see him though, since he appears to tour very little. I've seen him a fair number of times, but only in NYC, and mostly in connection with the Vision Festival.

I was going to mention Rob Brown as well, but I've never heard any of his leader dates. All four of those look interesting.

I'd also say Steve Wilson and Greg Abate. I wish that I would've caught Wilson playing in a duo with Lewis Nash in March. I always try to catch Abate when he's in the area, which often seems to be in two-alto groups (Bobby Watson, Phil Woods and Richie Cole).

Yes, he does his two alto thing on his visits to the UK, too:

MI0001545639.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

DSCF9123.JPG

BarnesAbate.jpg

Yes, he does his two alto thing on his visits to the UK, too:

MI0001545639.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

DSCF9123.JPG

BarnesAbate.jpg

I bought Birds of a Feather after he did an octet gig here. I chose that one over some others after seeing that John Donaldson and Spike Wells were on it. They both impressed me on Brighton saxophonist Joe Robinson's While I'm Waiting:

41FTQZQPB7L._SY300_.jpg

I like Steve Slagle, too; and if my new release ever gets out, even I might make the list -

btw, did anyone mention Coltrane on alto?

Yes, but it's worth mentioning again...

Sonny Stitt

C'mon man, we're talking about overlooked people, are you folks joking around???

I think he's overlooked in some circles and overrated in others...no joke.

Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson

Yeah, him!