• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody mention Bob Mover? One of the greatest, in my opinion -

and how about Jaki Byard? He played very nice alto -

and Boots Musulli -

and let's not forget THE DEMON -

I like Bob Mover and I love Boots Musulli, what little I have heard of them both. (Musulli's two great albums, the Charlie Ventura "Bop For The People" Concert, and the "Kenton Present's ..." are still favorites of mine).

One name that seems to have been overlook so far is George Robert ... and considering that he is Swiss, I wonder why Ubu has not championed him?

What Bob Mover albums can you recommend Allen?

I realize this is off topic for what this thread has come to in means of the messages you guys are submiting however.

From the name * overlooked alto's*

I would like to give some imput.

Cannonball is an amazing company, however since they have only been around for a short while, nobody wants to play there horns due to feeling they have not been in the industry long enough to make a stellar horn.

Well i palyed on the Cannonball Big Bell World Serious Pro model for the past 2 years before i got my tennor.

It was the A1-ICE finish.

I must say it was an amazing saxaphone, Really quick response and a super Bright tone, with a dark mellow lower octave.

I played it with the SR Technologies Legend 85 mouth piece, on 3 1/2 Vandoran Z series reeds, and the setup was perfect.

I would recomend a Cannonball to anybody!

Anybody heard François Carrier yet? I got hipped to him last night, on a Justin Time album w/Uri Cane, and I must say I want to hear more.

What little I've heard of this date is quite good...

g31392ezjgw.jpg

Thaks for the tip, Joe. Will definitely check it out w/Bley on board.

This François Carrier cat seems to be a player.

Another Canadian altoist of interest... Maury Coles. Apparently a legendary "free improv" figure in Toronto, he passed away in 2001, but it looks like Cadence still stocks a couple of his recordings for the AMI label -- ABSTRACT and MUSIC FROM THE GALLERY. I own the latter and though I have not listened to it in a loooooong time, I can vouch for its quality.

I hated Carrier when I saw him live, & his recent trio disc on 482 is dull too. Haven't heard the disc with Caine. What do you like about him? Maybe I'm a little biassed because a Montreal friend of mine who is otherwise the most generous of men spits blood when his name's mentioned (I gather his assiduous hustling hasn't endeared him to many of his peers on the Montreal jazz scene). But this was only after I saw him live anyway--it was one of those Canada Council things where you buy in an American guest star (Jason Moran in this case) to play with a Canadian band. Rough-hewn, rather blah free jazz with zero connection to Moran's elegant playing.

If you want the 482 disc give me a shout, I have a review copy on the to-get-rid-of pile.

I hated Carrier when I saw him live, & his recent trio disc on 482 is dull too. Haven't heard the disc with Caine. What do you like about him?

His tone (very supple and malleable), his lines, and his spacing.

Seems like he's in the Coleman/Osby field roughly but not derivatively so. Not the future of jazz or anything, just an interesting player I'd never heard before.

Drag that he's an asshole, apparently. His website is French & English on the same page, so I figured there was some Canadian political stuff going on with him that is not relevant to my lifestyle. C'est la vie en rose, or however that saying goes.

Caine plays really nicely on that disc, btw. I'd not been much impressed before, but here he sounds very alive and in the moment, which I guess is what I dug about Carrier too, when you get right down to it. But I've just heard the one album.