10 Organ Records You Must Own To Post Here

Jim Alfredson

Arthur Brown is still around, as far as I know. He's produced quite a few mediocre albums over the years, though. OTOH, "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" is in my top 10-20 rock albums of all time.

But back to "the list". I'm in big trouble, too. All I have:

Harold Vick - "Steppin' Out"

John Patton "Understanding" (Mosaic Select box)

Larry Young "Unity" (Mosaic box & vinyl)

But......I have a ton of other stuff:

CD

John Patton - "Memphis to NY Spirit", "Boogaloo", "Accent on the Blues", "Let 'Em Roll" and "Blue John"

Freddie Roach - "Good Move"

Booker T & the MGs - Stax best of ...

Jeff Palmer - "Island Universe"

Lonnie Smith - "Purple Haze", "Foxy Lady"

Vinyl

Earland - "Mama Roots", "Infant Eyes"

Larry Young - "Into Something"

Richard Groove Holmes & Ernie Watts - "Come Together"

Pretty much all of the Traffic, Doors and The Nice albums, too.

MP3s from eMusic

Earland - "In Concert", "Intensity"

Don Patterson - "Boppin' and Burnin' "

Larry Goldings - "As One", "Moonbird", "Sweet Science"

Bill Heid - "Bop Rascal", "da Girl"

Mel Rhyne - "Organizing", "Remembering Wes" (also most of those early Wes albums. Where are THOSE on the list?)

Richard Groove Holmes - "On Basie's Bandstand"

Booker T - all the Fantasy/Stax stuff

** I am not seeing Booker T mentioned anywhere, folks.

** Where's Santana in all of this? Gregg Rolie was pretty smokin' with the early lineup, too.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, this shit isn't up for discussion, ok? Booker T? Yeah, the MGs were cool, but Booker ain't kickin' no bass, so he's not on the list. Harold Vick's Steppin' Out?? That wasn't on the list and besides, Patton is already on the list. Jeff Palmer? Please. Freddie Roach? He had some good album titles (Mo' Greens Please!) but he doesn't have the junk to put him on the list.

I will give you some extra credit for having Bill Heid, though. All these so-called organ fans here on this site that don't have any Bill Heid are CHUMPS!

:g

(*tongue firmly in cheek)

I will give you some extra credit for having Bill Heid, though. All these so-called organ fans here on this site that don't have any Bill Heid are CHUMPS!

:g

(*tongue firmly in cheek)

Well, thanks for THOSE props, anyway! B-)

Hey........I also saw a B-3 Organ Summit 5 or 6 years back with BOTH Charles Earland and John Patton. Does that count?

A couple more to consider:

- Herbie on the "Jack Johnson" sessions

- Don Pullen on David Murray's two "Shakill's" albums

Please... Herbie ain't no organ player!! Sure, he plays piano like the proverbial mofo, but organ... shit, next you're going to nominate Oscar Peterson because he played organ on a couple cuts of that Pablo record (Jousts).

Lookit Man with the Golden Arm, trying to get all obscure on me. You got this?

482.jpg

A couple more to consider:

- Herbie on the "Jack Johnson" sessions

- Don Pullen on David Murray's two "Shakill's" albums

Please... Herbie ain't no organ player!! Sure, he plays piano like the proverbial mofo, but organ... shit, next you're going to nominate Oscar Peterson because he played organ on a couple cuts of that Pablo record (Jousts).

482.jpg

Hell, YEAH! Of COURSE I got that! What do you think I am, chopped liver? :o

[Disclaimer: yeah, right....fat chance I got THAT one]

I just meant Herbie's performance on that particular session. Unique......but not at all 'greeeeezy', that's for sure. OK, we'll forget that one.

What about Pullen, huh? No comment?

Man, we're talking about the 10 greatest organists of ALL TIME and you're pullin' out Don Pullen (pun intended)? I mean, we couldn't even get to Johnny Hammond Smith or Dr. Lonnie Smith's solo recordings or Trudy Pitts or Rhoda Scott or even freakin' BILLY GARDNER (one of the coolest cats ever)...I mean, these ain't even mentioned yet and I'm hearing Don Pullen and Jeff Palmer???? Hell, why not be as clueless as the Downbeat Polls and nominate Claire Fischer!!!!

(DISCLAIMER: I'M ONLY HALF SERIOUS) B-) :P;):huh:

P.S...BFrank...you've got 3 Larry Goldings CDs, 2 Bill Heid and NO Baby Face Willette or Shirley Scott! Dang. :g

Edited by Soul Stream

Man, we're talking about the 10 greatest organists of ALL TIME and you're pullin' out Don Pullen (pun intended)? I mean, we couldn't even get to Johnny Hammond Smith or Dr. Lonnie Smith's solo recordings or Trudy Pitts or Rhoda Scott or even freakin' BILLY GARDNER (one of the coolest cats ever)...I mean, these ain't even mentioned yet and I'm hearing Don Pullen and Jeff Palmer???? Hell, why not be as clueless as the Downbeat Polls and nominate Claire Fischer!!!!

P.S...BFrank...you've got 3 Larry Goldings CDs, 2 Bill Heid and NO Baby Face Willette or Shirley Scott! Dang. :g

Well, I guess I've gotten a little off-topic from the 10 BEST list.

And, yes (er, no) I don't have any BFW or SS albums. Baby Face is a little difficult to find, isn't he? But I'll make sure to d/l some Shirley Scott from eMusic soon. I promise.

You tell 'em, Soulstream. Novices. Peons. FOOLS!

:)

Billy Gardner is way cool. What happened to him? I was listening to Open House by Johnny Hammond Smith the other day... what a great record.

Man, we're talking about the 10 greatest organists of ALL TIME and you're pullin' out Don Pullen (pun intended)?  I mean, we couldn't even get to Johnny Hammond Smith or Dr. Lonnie Smith's solo recordings or Trudy Pitts or Rhoda Scott or even freakin' BILLY GARDNER (one of the coolest cats ever)...I mean, these ain't even mentioned yet and I'm hearing Don Pullen and Jeff Palmer????  Hell, why not be as clueless as the Downbeat Polls and nominate Claire Fischer!!!!

(DISCLAIMER: I'M ONLY HALF SERIOUS) B-)  :P  ;)  :huh:

P.S...BFrank...you've got 3 Larry Goldings CDs, 2 Bill Heid and NO Baby Face Willette or Shirley Scott!  Dang. :g

You tell 'em, Soulstream. Novices. Peons. FOOLS!

:)

Billy Gardner is way cool. What happened to him? I was listening to Open House by Johnny Hammond Smith the other day... what a great record.

Billy Gardner died of an asthma attack in Chicago in the 70's.

Yes, "Open House" is bad. But Jim, do you have "Black Coffee?" It will blow you away. One of the best organ ballad readings of all time is on that one "I Remember Clifford." It's a REAL "Live" disc and you NEED to have it if you don't.

Edited by Soul Stream

Yeah, I've got Black Coffee. Killer date. Johnny Hammond Smith never got his due and I feel bad leaving him off the list, but there's only 10 (or 11) spaces. Maybe we need to make it 12 and put Black Coffee on there.

You know who else is bad and doesn't get mentioned enough? Leon Spencer. I was listening to a web-stream of Pete Fallico's show one evening a few years back and he played this smokin' tune... just swingin' like crazy. It sounded like Jimmy Smith, but actually a little cleaner but not too clean, so I knew it wasn't DeFrancesco. When Fallico said it was Leon Spencer, I about fell out of my chair! He also said Spencer was working on a new record, but I haven't seen anything. That was years ago.

Thanks Jim, it's good to be back around a little bit more lately. As far as Leon goes...man, he's about as bad as they ever got imho. If we had a top 20 organ records, the stuff he does on The Scorpion w/Lou Donaldson is right in that league. Not to mention...if you did a top 10 organ SONGS...well, "Someday My Prince Will Come" by Leon HAS to be in the top ten..no doubt about it. He brought a whole new vibe to the organ...loose as a goose...with that rotating bassline! Wow. Damn, Leon rules!!!!

482.jpg

I remember way back at the old BNBB some B3-er guy was talking about how Rusty Bryant's the "Fire Eater" was just about the craziest ride he could recommend. I listened to that cut evey day to work for a week solid! :tup

Did here some Bill Heid on a recent BFT but can't recall who's.

Now that Bill Mason, was he just a flash in the frying pan or no?

And as for the Enforcers ... after Googling I see "Hey Jude" in there??? nah nah nah nahnana nah. :o

BFrank, you can't go wrong with either of those McDuff's. Both are some of his best.

And Kinuta...since "Face To Face" is so tough to find, "Stop And Listen" is surely no slacker in the second place catagory. The trio of Face, Grant Green and Ben Dixon is simply unbeatable.

Just a sidebar (which I might have told before)...

I once asked Big John Patton if he had ever met Baby Face Willette before. He told me only once, when Patton was touring with Lou Donaldson in the early 60's in Chicago. Said Baby Face took him back to his apartment which he shared with his parents and several siblings. Always wish I could have been a fly on the wall and seen BFW and BJP hang out together!