10 Organ Records You Must Own To Post Here

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It took me several years to feel comfortable with the pedals.  But I agree with my mentor:  "If you don't play pedals, you might as well be playing piano!"  I meet people all the time that are happy to see a "youngin" like myself carrying on the tradition.  We had a drummer sit in at our last Founder's gig who grew up in GR (his dad is a great drummer as well) but is now down in Dallas.  He said there's nobody in Dallas that plays the organ "the right way", ie using the pedals.  He told me the first thing he did when he walked in and saw me playing was check out my feet!  "You're for real!"

:)

No, they don't have to be used all the time and in fact I enjoy starting certain tunes without them and then adding them on the bridge (to use one example).  Or in funk tunes, there's a whole different way of using them that Chester Thompson does really well.

Mmmmmmm....Chester Thompson! If I don't get my monthly fix of Squib Cakes I get downright twitchy.

• 10 months later...