Holly Cole

Bright Moments

Not the biggest of fan, but I have one CD (I think it's "Blame it on my Youth"). I saw here live a few years ago at a festival (she was the free-admission act between main concerts - not a bad thing, the Goldings-Bernstein-Stewart trio was there for free as well), and she was quite good live.

ubu

Guest Chaney

I have two of Cole's releases: Don't Smoke In Bed (which I like a great deal, a 1993 release with more of a jazz feel) and It Happened One Night (which I don't like as it has less of a jazz feel; the trio is entombed by a few more noisy musicians and thus Cole / the music loses its sublety).

I'd consider myself a fan of Cole. I first became aware of her back at the '91 or '92 Montréal Jazz Festival. She and a French singer named Liane Foly split the week at Club Soda and pretty much took the festival by storm. They were the talk of the festival.

She has a good voice and combines pop, jazz, and cabaret styles with some interesting and sometimes quirky arrangements of standards. I saw her live a couple of times in the early 90's at a local jazz club in Buffalo, NY. She's huge in Canada and the cross border factor played heavily into the fact that both performances were jam packed. She's very good live. Really gives the music a personal touch and has a great rapport with the audience. I have a bunch of her discs and don't spin them as much as in the past. I'll have to dig some out. I liked here most recent release, the title of which escapes me.

I first heard Blame on my Youth when I was in Singapore back in 1989. I was in a music store and it was being played. I picked it up and I thought it was a nice CD. As I recall it was a live recording. Not bad. I purchased another CD by her and it was ok also. Not a big fan but the CD is not bad. I have no idea what she is doing these days. I think the Blame it on my Youth was her best. ;)

• 8 years later...

She's a very interesting singer, giving her material a downtown/new wave/slightly sinister tone. Tonight I heard "Dedicated To The One I Love" (from "Romantically Helpless"); without changing the words, she gives the song a dark, moody interpretation. Worth a listen.

41P9D53T2GL.jpg

• 4 years later...

A new release from Holly Cole!  Release date February 16:

513pCraPKPL.jpg

2018 release, the first album in five years from the Canadian jazz singer. Produced by Grammy Award winning producer Russ Titelman (Eric Clapton, Randy Newman, Ricki Lee Jones), and arranged by pianist extraordinaire Larry Goldings, Holly, was mostly recorded at Sear Sound Studio in New York City alongside an exemplary cast of both New York and Toronto based musicians. The recording comes complete with classics including "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Everybody Loves Somebody" and "Teach Me Tonight" which showcase Holly's dynamic artistry while bringing currency to these timeless tracks. On creating the album, Holly recounts, "When I made this record I didn't know what to expect. All I knew was that I was excited; excited to work with producer Russ Titelman, excited to work at Sear Sound Studio in New York, a wonderful studio I had recorded songs from my "Temptation" recording in and excited to record with a whole new band that Russ Titelman had assembled."

Edited by mjzee