• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every April fool's day, I've toyed with the idea of posting a thread entitled 'Wynton Marsalis RIP' just to see how people react. I'd have to make it plausible, though. I always get stuck at the line '... died tragically yesterday, crushed by the weight of his own self-importance'.

Bertrand.

Sorry; just making sure this one's in at least two places so it'll be easy to find again... :lol::lol::lol:

Although some of her work was assembled hastily, she spent five years writing and trying to persuade publishers to print "Madame Jazz: Contemporary Women Instrumentalists." Oxford University Press released the book in 1995 to wide acclaim. Whereas many earlier books noted the contributions of pianists Mary Lou Williams and Marian McPartland, Ms. Gourse examined the work of female jazz musicians since the late 1970s.

Owen McNally, a Hartford Courant jazz critic, called the book a "groundbreaking study of women's role in jazz today."

I know you all dislike her, or her writing, and so forth, but have any of you actually read the first book discussed in the obiuary? Is it any different from the later works? A worthwhile read?