Richard Williams: New Horn in Town

dova

I have recently been scouring around for past cd releases on the Candid label and ran across Richard Williams on Trumpet on a title called New Horn in Town. His supporting cast is Reggie Workman on Bass, Richard Wyands on piano, Leo Wright on Tenor and a guy named Bobby Thomas on drums. I don't know of any other sessions Richard led but MAN, can he blow. This is 60's hard bop at its finest. The Lp is cost prohibitive for me as it sold recently on e-bay for well over $250.00. I ordered the cd from Amazon sealed and even it wasn't exactly cheap. Trust me on this one, you will be extremely pleased!!

dova :tup

Although not the leader, you can dig Richard on three excellent Gigi Gryce OJCs, Saying Somethin', The Rat Race Blues and The Happ'nin's.

If you were around in the 60's, which maybe you were'nt, Richard Williams was not an unknown.

He's on at least one Mingus album (Mingusx5) and, IIRC, Y Lateef's Live at Pep's.

Guy

Although not the leader, you can dig Richard on three excellent Gigi Gryce OJCs, Saying Somethin', The Rat Race Blues and The Happ'nin's.

If you were around in the 60's, which maybe you were'nt, Richard Williams was not an unknown.

He's on at least one Mingus album (Mingusx5) and, IIRC, Y Lateef's Live at Pep's.

Guy

Richard Williams also plays on other Mingus recordings: The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (1963), The Complete Town Hall Concert (1962) and some of the tracks on Mingus Dynasty (1959) and Mingus Revisited (1960).

In addition, he's on couple of Blue Note recordings:

Big John Patton--The Way I Feel

Booker Ervin--The In Between

More good Richard Williams on:

Oliver Nelson, Screamin' the Blues

A Red Garland quintet date for Prestige

A Jaki Byard Prestige date

Duke Jordan, Duke's Delight

Some brief Richard spots on Randy Weston's Uhuru Africa (in the Mosaic Select) and Clark Terry's Big Ba-a-ad Band Live at the '74 Wichita Jazz Festival.

Big fan of Richard Williams here! (And couw will pop in, too, once he'll be back from the seemingly www-lacking Netherlands...)

I think his Candid album is at least ok or good. Seems many people don't like Leo Wright (intonation, mainly, is the problem, I think). He's one of the reasons, it seems, why Blue Note didn't want to release the first Blue Mitchell album (the other and hopefully main reason being that soon after it was in the can Blue had taken over the Horace Silver group as his own working unit, thus the first album would have been somehow dated on the moment of its release, already).

The two "Live at Pep's" Impulse! discs by Yusef Lateef are among my favourites, and Williams is smoking on them, as is Brother Yusef and the rhythm section (with Mike Nock on piano).

Williams can be heard on some Birdland broadcasts of Mingus' 1961 band. Seems Mingus liked him a lot - what a pity that there is no small group Mingus album with Williams featured!

ubu

Seems many people don't like Leo Wright (intonation, mainly, is the problem, I think). He's one of the reasons, it seems, why Blue Note didn't want to release the first Blue Mitchell album.

I cannot understand people picking on Leo Wright's intonation, where Jackie McLean's is worse much of the time ... :rolleyes: He's totally okay to these ears on the Richard Williams Candid - Wright played in the Berlin RIAS big band, which would not have happened with intonation problems.

Some prejudices die hard.

(Edited for typo.)

Edited by mikeweil

His supporting cast is Reggie Workman on Bass, Richard Wyands on piano, Leo Wright on Tenor and a guy named Bobby Thomas on drums.

Love this album. Only a minor point but Leo Wright is on alto and flute rather than tenor. AMG lists Richard Williams as playing "saxophone" as well as trumpet but just a mistake I should think.

Also like his stuff with Gigi Gryce a lot (Rat Race Blues, Happenin's, Sayin' Somethin') or anything else by him.

catesta  Posted on Jan 1 2005, 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Dmitry @ Dec 31 2004, 06:21 PM)

QUOTE (dova @ Dec 31 2004, 06:34 PM)

The Lp is cost prohibitive for me as it sold recently on e-bay for well over $250.00.

Wow!

I have both the Stereo and Mono pressings.

Dig 'em out of storage, dude!

I'll split it with you. wink.gif

Just FYI, I located a Barnaby reissue of this date on LP not long ago and paid around $5. Well, it ain't original virgin vinyl, but it sounds surprisingly good, and the price was most definitely right...keep your eyes peeled, folks!

In fact, there's 2 copies of this 1977 LP reissue listed on Ebay right this very minute:

Williams Candid on Ebay

I think it's a good one...Williams plays it pretty close to the vest, nobody really busts loose but nice, very nice inside-and-just-a-tad-out kind of date of the era.

Edited by DrJ

Seems many people don't like Leo Wright (intonation, mainly, is the problem, I think). He's one of the reasons, it seems, why Blue Note didn't want to release the first Blue Mitchell album.

I cannot understand people picking on Leo Wright's intonation, where Jackie McLean's is worse much of the time ... :rolleyes: He's totally okay to these ears on the Richard Williams Candid - Wright played in the Berlin RIAS big band, which would not have happened with intonation problems.

Some prejudices die hard.

(Edited for typo.)

You're absolutely right of course, Mike! That was not my opinion, in that last post of mine.

ubu

catesta  Posted on Jan 1 2005, 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Dmitry @ Dec 31 2004, 06:21 PM)

QUOTE (dova @ Dec 31 2004, 06:34 PM)

The Lp is cost prohibitive for me as it sold recently on e-bay for well over $250.00.

Wow!

I have both the Stereo and Mono pressings.

Dig 'em out of storage, dude!

I'll split it with you. wink.gif

Just FYI, I located a Barnaby reissue of this date on LP not long ago and paid around $5. Well, it ain't original virgin vinyl, but it sounds surprisingly good, and the price was most definitely right...keep your eyes peeled, folks!

In fact, there's 2 copies of this 1977 LP reissue listed on Ebay right this very minute:

Williams Candid on Ebay

I think it's a good one...Williams plays it pretty close to the vest, nobody really busts loose but nice, very nice inside-and-just-a-tad-out kind of date of the era.

I have the Barnaby re-issue LP also, and I'm very satisifed with it.