Kirk Felton

Brad

We always talk about Rudy (justifiably so) and Ron McMasters and other Blue Note gurus. But I never see Kirk Felton over at Fantasy get any mention. I just picked up the new Sonny Stitt release from Fantasy, the Prestige two-fer and it sounds darn good to me. I'll be the first to admit I'm no audiophile like some others here. But this guy never gets any mention and I like his work ;)

Agree: The Griffin LP "Change of Pace" was remastered by him and sounds very good. Very natural, and it was a very good recording for its time in the first place, like many other Riverside LPs. I recently bought and enjoyed Griffin's "Do Nothing 'Til You Hear From Me", recorded by Wally Heider, another excellent recording job, and this was remastered by Phil DeLancie, another Fantasy regular doing a better job from CD to CD. Fantasy's remasterings may not be as "spectacular" sounding as the RVGs, but they come pretty close to a nice and mellow LP sound, which is good enough for me. At least they are not as overly bright as some recent Blue Note remasterings.