Newb question about Miles Davis Columbia boxes

Hi,

I have a newbie question about two of the Miles Davis Columbia boxes that I just picked up:

1. Miles Davis / John Coltrane - Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961

2. Miles Davis Quintet - Complete Columbia Studio Recordings 1965-1968

As a jazz neophyte, I'm just getting into alot of this music and would like to hear it in the original running order. For the other Miles boxes (e.g. Bitches Brew, IASW, Jack Johnson) the original program is provided in the original order on one of the discs so it's easy to jump to the 'original' album without much trouble. Same with the Miles Davis / Gil Evans box (although I don't own that one -- I have trouble getting into that sound although that's certainly food for another thread.)

Is it possible to reconstruct the original albums on the two boxes I listed above without missing anything? I was thinking about burning CD-Rs of the original material so I can familiarize myself with the original running order. For example, starting with box #1, if I wanted to compile 'Round About Midnight, could I take 'Round Midnight and All of You from disc 2 and the other 4 tracks from disc 1? Then again, it looks like some of the material is mono while some is stereo, at least for the example I picked. What about some of the other albums?

I guess I could just buy the albums separately but that kinda defeats part of the purpose of owning the box set....I already own Kind of Blue but none of the other albums that comprise those two boxes.

Thanks for any help/advice/comments you care to give. B-)

GDTRFB

Edited by GDTRFB

Sorcerer is split with one track on the Gil set.

If you drop the one "Gil" track from Sorcerer (which really doesn't fit with the rest of the album, IMHO -- with a completely different vibe and instrumentation -- heck, it's a vocal track), then Sorcerer and Nefertiti with both fit very nicely on one CDR.

That, plus Sorcerer and Nefertiti go together like a matched set of gloves.

Edit: A big welcome to GDTRFB!!! :rlol

If you would, please take a moment tell us a bit more about yourself. (What the heck does "GDTRFB" stand for?? :huh: )

Glad you joined the party. :party:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Edit:  A big welcome to GDTRFB!!!  :rlol

If you would, please take a moment tell us a bit more about yourself.  (What the heck does "GDTRFB" stand for?? :huh: )

I'm going to guess - just a wild guess...really out of thin blue air...let's see...could it be...

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad?

I knew absorbing all those Grateful Dead setlist abbreviations would come in handy some day.

:g

Welcome!

Edited by gdogus

I'm going to guess - just a wild guess...really out of thin blue air...let's see...could it be...

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad?

Yup. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Nice to be here.

I'm going to try to compile a list of what albums are in what box set for my own use. If I make any progress, I'll post an update to the thread.

Only the 2 Coltrane cuts from Someday My Prince Will Come are on a box set. Worth getting the Columbia/Legacy cd which has the original album in the original order plus 2 bonus cuts.( The six tracks not in the Coltrane box are the only Columbia Miles releases from the 50's & 60's not on a box set.