Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the spirit of this "Basra" business, I skipped the latest batch of RVG's (how many times do I have to buy the same stuff??) and ordered Shelly Manne's Contemporaty album "My Son the Jazz Drummer," re-titled "Steps To The Desert." Those Fantasy folks aren't afraid to bring up the Middle East.

With all the Basra talk going on....has anybody had a chance to listen to the other RVGs?!  They all sound really good to my ears...and True Blue is a downright national treasure. :)

I have just listened to True Blue and I love how it sounds. I did not buy it as I am going to hold on to my JRVG version but it is great stuff. The inserts and the comments are interesting too. I haven't seen the new 'Basra' yet though.PS: It HAS the copy protection.

Edited by ASNL77

It is hard to believe the stupidity of changing the name, especially at this late, late date. Maybe BN should charge Sims for the cost of recalling all these CDs or make him change the inserts by hand.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it does hurt sales, since there is some market for the difficult to find Basra, but none for Lazy Afternoon (or whatever they finally come up with). So will Sims allow the ads to say Lazy Afternoon (formerly Basra), or is even that too disrespectful?

Stupid stupid stupid.

YOU SHOULD OF HAD THIS ONE 5 YEARS AGO!!!

Reviewer: SENOR W.T.H. from IN MY ROOM

...WHEN IT WAS ORGINALLY PRESSED ON CD! BUT ALAS ITS OK SINCE BN JUST REISSUED IT FOR ALL YOU LATECOMMERS. OR IF YOURE JUST GETTIN' INTO THINGS AND DONT KNOW ABOUT THIS ONE YET---YOU MUST GET IT. HI VOLTAGE WAS ONE OF THE 1ST HANK CDS I GOT AND ITS FUNKY, ITS LATIN, AND ITS HARD-BOPPY AS WELL. AND IT ALSO HAS JACKIE AND MASTER HIGGINS ON IT. HANK AND JACKIE DIDNT TEAM UP ALL TOO OFTEN IN THE 60S (ESP. ON HANKS OWN STUFF) SO ITS GREAT TO HEAR THEM TOGETHER.

Any guesses who posted this review of Hank's HI VOLTAGE on the Blue Note site?

Let's see... Hank fan, all caps. I don't see any HELL YEAHs though. I guess it could be anyone. :D

And I'm sorry they're postponing it (I don't really understand the problem with the title - does it offend those for the war or against the war?), but I'm a bit disturbed at some of the nastiness directed at the artist. Remember, if it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be an album to discuss here.

I don't really understand the problem with the title - does it offend those for the war or against the war??

I was wondering the very same thing. (Seriously!!)

And what about those of us who are offended by them shelving the RVG of this title!!

I've still got my Conn of Basra (can I even mention it by name without offending someone??? :unsure: ), and I probably wasn't going to upgrade it --- so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Just got my RVG shipment from CDU.

I watched the RVG interview DVD from Perfect Takes. It was far too short!! There were a few interesting revelations. I won't include any "spoilers" here. All in all I thought the DVD was well done. Lots of Wolff images used in the Ken Burns style.

I gotta go play Hi Voltage and Heavy Soul. The two "new" ones for me in this batch.