Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The availability of the Tina Brooks - True Blue, Pete LaRoca - Basra, and Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage, should put a dent in the EBAY market. ^_^

I have the Mobley on vinyl. Does the CD have any alternate tracks?

I will definitely get the Basra. The Coles is a puzzle to me. I got the Conn when it was being remaindered for, I think, about $6.00 or $7.00. From a sales point of view, why bring it back? (but better to have it available than not, of course).

At this point, I'm in WAY too deep with the U.S. RVGs to stop - have 'em all up to this batch, so no question I'm biting again! This is one killer grouping; though I have all of these titles in other earlier CD releases I think the sonic upgrades will be quite noticeable for most of them unless something is awry.

Got the Spainish version of True Blue and all the others except for Heavy Soul which I am sure I will pick up.

This is the best set yet. Hell I may upgrade them all. This is prime Blue Note country.

You should keep the spanish "True Blue", which is a TOCJ remastering and sounds perfect.

I've got that one, the JRVG of "Basra" and the MFSL CD of "Night in Tunesia", so I will pass on this batch.

I suggest buying the new one, compare, then decide. You have something of value to sell either way.

Excellent suggestions! I expect that is what I will do. I think the Spainish version of True Blue sounded excellent. I was just glad to get it at a reasonable price.

Heavy Soul sounds sweet on my original vinyl(though it's my least favorite of Quebec's BN's). I'll definitely wait for a Liberty vinyl Johnny C. I'll wait on Classic's vinyl True Blue as an upgrade to my other reissues.

Wolff - look out for a NY USA mono 'Little Johnny C'. That's the one to get, if you can find it (BIG 'if', I know..)

I Half.com'ed my McMasters and Spanish Blue Notes as soon as these titles were announced. Been getting by with CDRs.

Never heard Basra, Heavy Soul or Hi Voltage so I am excited about this group. First time I've ordered all 6 in advance. I usually get the 3 that excite me the most then pick up the others down the road (hopefully from BMG.)

What is this Blue Note Perfect Takes?  I note it's not issued by Blue Note by Angel.

...all of these new ones list the label as ANGEL :blink: . What's up with this?

Yet another appendage (classical) of the mighty EMI empire. That's the problem with these gargantuan international record conglomerates--their labels can get easily confused (although not the music on them!). :wacko:

Edited by Ron S

I suggest buying the new one, compare, then decide.  You have something of value to sell either way.

You are right Chuck. But after having heard so many RVGs, I think I know how they sound compared to other remasterings, when they are well done. There's always that RVG remastering sound signature, that one likes or not. The TOCJ of "True Blue" is so good, I don't think it can be improved. I wasn't aware of the alternate tracks.

One good thing about reselling RVGs - that I always order in the US - is that I can advertise them here in Europe as "US imports - no copyprotection, playable on all CD-compatible devices" <_<

Edited by Claude

• 2 weeks later...

I am hesitating to preorder the next RVGs because I've heard that the forthcoming US RVGs will be CCCDs. Is it true?  Does anyone have information on this?

I didn't know what CCCD meant. I did a Google search and discovered CCCD = Copy Control CD.

I don't have a need to copy my CDs. My complaint is that a copy control code makes it damned difficult to play CDs on my computer, regardless of whether I make a copy or not.

I am hesitating to preorder the next RVGs because I've heard that the forthcoming US RVGs will be CCCDs. Is it true?  Does anyone have information on this?

I didn't know what CCCD meant. I did a Google search and discovered CCCD = Copy Control CD.

I thought he was suggesting that they've gone commie. Oh wait, that's a "D" not a "P."

Google is a wonderful thing.

Edited by Quincy

I thought he was suggesting that they've gone commie. Oh wait, that's a "D" not a "P."

Google is a wonderful thing.

Although the old CCCP was into copy control, also.

Nice batch - I've had all of these for a really long time so once again I'll be skipping these, but many of these have been OOP for years, so it's a good batch for the newbies.

True Blue is one ot those CDs I spent years searching for, finally picked up a TOCJ about 4 years ago. Good set, not as good as all the hype was about this session. Hi Voltage is an excellent Mobley album. The Johnny Coles is better than I expected. My favorite here is Heavy Soul. Possibly the best Ike Quebec album. This was one of the Connoisseurs that made me a Blue Note fan. The cover is classic Reid Miles and the music is primo.

Nice batch - I've had all of these for a really long time so once again I'll be skipping these, but many of these have been OOP for years, so it's a good batch for the newbies.

True Blue is one ot those CDs I spent years searching for, finally picked up a TOCJ about 4 years ago. Good set, not as good as all the hype was about this session. Hi Voltage is an excellent Mobley album. The Johnny Coles is better than I expected. My favorite here is Heavy Soul. Possibly the best Ike Quebec album. This was one of the Connoisseurs that made me a Blue Note fan. The cover is classic Reid Miles and the music is primo.

Hey....you're a newbie!