Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was told that Basra was getting reissued in the RVG series, I joked with Michael Cuscuna about it, saying something like, "They're going to let you put out a CD titled Basra"? We had a good laugh. However, we both made the connection right away.

This is what I've been thinking while reading this thread. Why the hell didn't someone bring this up earlier?!? We have to get it on the release schedule and on the pre-order list at all the major online retailers before someone realizes that there may be an issue...?

Therein lies the source of my anger. Why get everybody interested if you're gonna bail out at the last minute.

Does anyone with insider knowledge know how far along this title got in the process. Are there thousands of BASRA liners and discs headed for a landfill somewhere? Ridiculous....simply ridiculous.

Edited by mgraham333

I would see this as a great opportunity for Sims to share his feelings about the war. I'm sure a music paper would give coverage to his feelings regarding this release.

Except, of course, if he's in support of the war... <_< (Which he might be if he's truly the one behind the title change and concerned about any "sensitivity" issues re: our troops)

*if*

it's really a rhetorical 'if'.

it's fact that they are indulging the artist based on the postponed release.

there's no way that the artist has any rights to the marketing (or re-marketing in this care), distribution, or release of a work from four decades ago.

the ball is squarely in EMI's court as to their indulgence (or 'support' or 'respect'?) to the artist on this count...

-e-

What really strikes me as odd is that it has been released in Great Britain under the BASRA title. As it was stated before, it's the British troops that are in Basra for the most part. If the artist has a problem with the name now, why does it not bother him it's being released in Britain?

With all the problems on the Korean Peninsula, should Prestige remane "Soultrane" something else? I mean it's only an "e" away from Seoultrane.

Miles' estate should call for the renaming of Pangaea and Gondwona -- some Creationists don't accept the theory of plate tectonics, after all. By the same token, Grachan Moncur should retitle "Evolution" as "Evolution Is Just a Theory", or perhaps "Intelligent Design".

*if*

it's really a rhetorical 'if'.

it's fact that they are indulging the artist based on the postponed release.

there's no way that the artist has any rights to the marketing (or re-marketing in this care), distribution, or release of a work from four decades ago.

the ball is squarely in EMI's court as to their indulgence (or 'support' or 'respect'?) to the artist on this count...

-e-

my point is that I wonder where you got the *fact* that it's on Sims's wishes that the title is changed. That was only posed as a hypothesis here on this thread AFAIK.

no? :mellow:

i'm reading all this non-sense and i just simply cannot believe on something like that. where does it go all the speeches about freedom?????????????

Let's not get too carried away with the freedom, liberty, and "first ammendment" hyperbole. From what's been suggested, it sounds like Cuscuna and BN are simply respecting Larcoca (Sims) wishes in the matter. It wouldn't be the first time that Michael's been respectful of an artist's wishes. Personally I think it's silly to change the name, but it wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened and I don't think it's truly indicitive of the decline of western civilization...

Calm down... I was not given the OK to say who wanted the title changed.

However, it should be noted that the artist in question, Pete LaRoca (Sims) is still alive and, if you notice, he did in fact propose a new title for the session. Put two & two together.

Michael Cuscuna did not want this change. Tom Evered did not want this change.

this leaves either the artist or corporate (EMI)...

-e-

my point is that I wonder where you got the *fact* that it's on Sims's wishes that the title is changed. That was only posed as a hypothesis here on this thread AFAIK.

re-read kevin's "put two and two together" as well as "it's not blue note's fault" posts.

???,

-e-

okay, gotcha.