Feb 15 RVGs

scottb

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that one of the members (Gary, Bev or someone) should snap up a bunch of the English releases and ship them here.  Wait maybe not, that will only devalue the JRVG that I am going to put on E-Bay and pay off my Car ;)

They're available in the UK according to who? I saw something posted by a new member who logged his/her first 2 posts today and thought it might be a joke.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

This thread has taken a sad and rather ugly turn. :o Most here are usually quick to condemn the record labels and champion artists' rights, but now when a company chooses to abide by an artist's wishes (and even that's little more than speculation at this point), some of those same people are more than willing to say "fuck the artist and put the disc out anyway."

Of course, BN/EMI can release the disc if they so choose (and call it whatever they wish), but Kevin's implication was that Cuscuna was merely abiding by Sims' wishes and either withholding the album or renaming it. So now it's screw the artist - I want it now? My how quickly we turn... :(

This thread has taken a sad and rather ugly turn. :o Most here are usually quick to condemn the record labels and champion artists' rights, but now when a company chooses to abide by an artist's wishes (and even that's little more than speculation at this point), some of those same people are more than willing to say "fuck the artist and put the disc out anyway."

Of course, BN/EMI can release the disc if they so choose (and call it whatever they wish), but Kevin's implication was that Cuscuna was merely abiding by Sims' wishes and either withholding the album or renaming it. So now it's screw the artist - I want it now? My how quickly we turn... :(

I think people are a just a little angry because they were really excited about this reissue. Once things calm down the "blame the artist" line will fade away.

Guy

Hey check this out, just an interesting note from the Associated Press

Criminal court judge assassinated in Basra

Basra, February 12, 2005

A prominent Iraqi judge was assassinated on Saturday by two gunmen on a motorcycle in the southern port city of Basra, police said.

Taha al-Basri, a former chief judge at Basra's highest criminal court, was gunned down as he drove to work, said Lt Col Karim al-Zaidi, an information officer at Basra's police headquarters.

The judge's bodyguard was seriously wounded in the attack and was taken to a hospital, al-Zaidi said.

Insurgents in Iraq have frequently targeted Iraqi government officials.

I dunno...'screw the artist' is not a credo I'm prepared to endorse, even if I disagree with the artist.

So much for the possibility of getting a job in the entertainment industry... :(

Don't be so discouraged ... Here is something to think about .....

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic

hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson

15 pages and no one (myself included) has asked the obvious question yet: will the title track also be renamed?

Basra is a damn good record - I'll have to load into into my iPod this week-end.

On the subject of LaRoca Sims being a lawyer, here's a funny story.

A few years ago, Jazzbeat (or Downtimes) had a story on Joe Chambers. Somehow, in the story, they got him mixed up with LaRoca and claimed Joe was also an attorney!

Joe fired off an angry letter saying that he was not a lawyer, had never been a lawyer and never intended to become one. You could tell that he truly felt insulted!

Bertrand.

I dunno...'screw the artist' is not a credo I'm prepared to endorse, even if I disagree with the artist.

So much for the possibility of getting a job in the entertainment industry... :(

This thing is getting beaten to death, but in this case, I feel it's not so much "Blame La Roca the musician", as "Blame La Roca the lawyer". This is a typical legal move. Let everything take its course, have everyone spend time and money, and then at the 11th hour, use some legal objection to bring everything to a grinding halt. The big question is "WHY DIDN'T HE RAISE HIS OBJECTIONS 6 OR EVEN 3 MONTHS AGO?"

I still think BN should have told La Roca to get lost, especially at this late date.

I think that one of the members (Gary, Bev or someone) should snap up a bunch of the English releases and ship them here.  Wait maybe not, that will only devalue the JRVG that I am going to put on E-Bay and pay off my Car ;)

They're available in the UK according to who? I saw something posted by a new member who logged his/her first 2 posts today and thought it might be a joke.

It's not a joke -- I bought the RVG of Basra in London this weekend, in a shop that was selling the new RVGs just before they were officially coming out in the UK (the official date was 14 Feb here, I think). Basra was one of the CDs they had on sale. Perhaps it has been withdrawn in the UK as well now. But if so, it must really have been a last minute decision, given that the CD had already been sent to shops. It's ridiculous.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson

:lol: Yeah, seriously!! As a matter of fact, the new Pres/CEO of the National Music Publishers Association is a former top Ashcroft Lt. over at Justice who makes your average scheming, treacherous, D.C. cut-throat look like Shirley Temple. Someone told me about this at a dinner last night and I broke out laughing because I thought it was a joke. I'd been under the impression that he was looking to represent the American Association of Electric Chair & Guillotine Manufacturers for a tidy $500 k annual. :rolleyes:

http://www.nmpa.org/nmpa.html

On the subject of LaRoca Sims being a lawyer, here's a funny story.

A few years ago, Jazzbeat (or Downtimes) had a story on Joe Chambers. Somehow, in the story, they got him mixed up with LaRoca and claimed Joe was also an attorney!

Joe fired off an angry letter saying that he was not a lawyer, had never been a lawyer and never intended to become one. You could tell that he truly felt insulted!

:lol::lol::lol::tup