Obscure, In Print Gems In Your Collection

paul secor

Can't help you, UBU.

I've only one DENIS COLIN CD, his first in straigth solo.

All of his others records has always disappoint me, but this first one is a gem:

DENIS COLIN: CLARINETTE BASSE SEUL (IN SITU)

Recorded in JULY 1990.

One of the very few highlight of the instrument in SOLO.

If you want a counter exemple of the COLIN, try RUDI MAHALL in the same exercice (SOLO) on PSI : It's a total failure

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

i just picked up this sonny simmons "backwoods suite" CD.

it is on a sketchy euro label. it looks like maybe it was originally recorded for fantasy (was fantasy still around in the early 80s?) in 1982. haven't totally absorbed it but i can't imagine it is bad and it has some good players (billy higgins, herbie lewis, joe bonner, michael marcus and some guys i never heard of on other horns and reeds). and most importantly i had never heard of this album before.

thom jurek got a big boner over it-

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:hvfwxqygldke

Neat thread.

A favorite of mine is call Naked on the Floor (title and group name) on Valid Records (validrecords.com). I bought it three or so years ago off of a review in Cadence. It is by a New Orleans group lead by guitarist Jonathan Freilich. Some interesting tunes with odd ball titles like "Fears Dress In The Subconsious (and then go out dancing)".

Guest akanalog

The Black Saint album is a favorite of mine. This is perhaps my favorite of Tchicai's post-post-Ornette-alto-phase albums--a subtle, simply beautiful album. Tchicai has a decisively 'electric' aesthetic, and it shows through the proceedings--there's hard groove, beats, and bottom everywhere. The difference is in the relative sensitivity of the ensemble; there's a slight sort of delicacy to the album, as if the instrumental transparency were letting some light into Tchicai's brighter, less brazen spots.

Hank Jones & Frank Wess - Hank and Frank - Lineage

A really delightful CD by two living jazz masters with a top level rhythm section.

Have you heard the new Barry Harris disc in this series? I haven't, but am considering it as well as "Hank and Frank."

T.D.

Yes, I also own and have heard the new Barry Harris CD on Lineage. It's a good one and labeled Vol. 1, so I hope there is a second volume in the future.

Most definitely Bruise (Bevan trio) w/ Derek Bailey. Totally under the rader this year. Amazing. And Dick's Picks 36. Over the top '72 Dead.

Love Tony's CD...Just to nit-pick, however, Bruise is more than a trio: TB (tenor/bass saxophones); Orphy Robinson (steel pan, trumpet); Ashley Wales (soundscapes); John Edwards (bass); Mark Sanders (percussion) [hence the name, I assume: Bevan - Robinson - Edwards - Wales - Sanders!]

The first album (minus Derek) is really nice too.

BYRON ALLEN: INTERFACE (ACC PRODUCTIONS) recorded in 1979 (in mono!!) by ALLEN and two teens (they are 27 years older, now!) that I've never hear about since, ROBBIE BITANGA (GUITAR) & TIM JORDAN (DRUMS).

The LP is subtitle: "A COMMON BOUNDARY BETWEEN MATTER AND SPACE" and the music is very beautifull and very quiet, close to the SONNY SIMMONS ANCIENT RITUAL.

Anybody mention the Soul Mates album by Charlie Rouse? I think it's still in print. One of my favorite albums of all time, but nobody seems to mention it much.

Still available. :)

Don't hesitate to jump on this one. Superb album with excellent late period work by Rouse, Sahib Shihab, and Walter Davis, Jr. in a sextet also including Claudio Roditi, Santi Debriano, and Victor Lewis. Excellent arrangements by Don Sickler. Recorded and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder. On the Uptown Records label.

One of the essential records of the 1990s.

A great disc and still in print on the Accurate label is the Consuelo-Jon Quintet cd, Last Sunday Morning. Consuelo Candelaria is the pianist and Jon Hazilla is the drummer. Billy Pierce is well featured on tenor and soprano, Tom Varner plays on the date but his french horn is mostly heard only in ensemble. This date has strong compositions from Candelaria who wrote all the titles except Strayhorn's Johnny Come Lately. As far as I can tell this is one of only two releases that Candelaria appears on. Jon Hazilla is a monster drummer and definitely a TDWR.

• 2 years later...

Simone Guiducci's Django's Jungle on the Splasc(h) label. I was sold by a review in Cadence and bought the disc some years ago. Italian guitarist with several European musicians and Americans Chris Speed and Kyle Gregory. There's a review at Allaboutjazz but no listing for this date on Allmusic. Maybe this isn't obscure in Italy but I think everything on the Spasc(h) label is obscure.