Great Finds (CD version)

Big Al

Don’t know if there’s another thread dedicated to the Great Finds of CDs (I know there’s a thread like this for vinyl); I did a search and nothing comes up, so if there IS a thread for this, please tell me and I’ll delete this thread.

I’m just giddy I found this: The Dissection and Reconstruction of Music from the Past as Performed by the Inmates of Lalo Schifrin’s Demented Ensemble as a Tribute to the Memory of the Marquis de Sade.

Used for $8.00!!!!

Funny thing is, I bought it thinking I would eBay this puppy; turns out I actually like this!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found Wilen's New York Romance for $8 at a fairly lousy used CD store (the jazz section is nearly all Kenny G, Harry Connick, Jr., Chet Baker Sings, etc.) Not a supa supa rare CD, but not easy to come by.

Down in Hyde Park last week, I found the following:

Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims $12 (TOJC)

Walter Davis Davis Cup $12 (TOJC)

Fred Jackson Hootin and Tootin $15

Not steals, but these are pretty seriously OOP, so I was happy to pay up.

Based on another thread, I discovered that Walmart actually has quite a few OOP CDs (not surprisingly they have no idea the value of what's in stock). If my orders go through, I'll come back and tip you off. One that I don't need from them is Elvin Jones Dear John C for $14, which seems reasonable.

Ok, hopefully I'll get my CDs through Walmart (currently they only ship to the US).

One was Clark Terry's Daylight Express, which seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.

Second was John Lewis with Sacha Distel on Afternoon in Paris, which also seems to be OOP. Dusty Groove thinks it will get some of these in, but who knows. I thought I might as well liberate a copy from Walmart.

A completely different kind of find just turned up. The Borders on North Michigan Ave. in Chicago has the Duke Ellington Complete RCA box (the 24 CD box) locked behind glass. I was awfully surprised to see one, since I thought they had all vanished. I got one a while back, but somebody out there must want one. I suspect they would ship it anywhere in the US and maybe Canada. Or maybe if I get a 20% off coupon, I'd pick it up and send it off to Ebay. But I'm giving you all a week or so head's up if you really, really want it.

Edited by ejp626

Last week I stopped by a CD Warehouse in North Palm Beach with my 13 year old daughter as I promised to let her indulge in her taste for ©rap (ugh!) at 2nd hand, used prices. To my surprise, I found two keepers in the limited jazz bins:

1) Shelly Manne: STEPS TO THE DESERT, a 1962 Contemporary recording of a quintet (featuring Teddy Edwards, Shorty Rogers, Victor Feldman) that celebrates Jewish and Israeli songs (!) Never heard "Hava Nagila" performed quite like that. The CD cooks and is a most pleasant surprise as I had never been aware of the recording beforehand. The price $5.99 plus tax.

2) Dave Douglas: STARGAZER, a 1996 Arabesque recording of a sextet (featuring Chris Speed and Uri Caine) performing music by and for Wayne Shorter. Definitely one of the more cooking and accessible discs by this controversial trumpeter. Price, even better, at $3.99 plus tax.

No discernible scuffs, marks, scratches, etc. on either disc.

• 1 month later...

Whilst on a road trip to Wichita Falls this past Friday, I happened to stop in at the local Hastings and found these Salsa gems for $3 each:

Ismael Rivera - ESTO ES LO MIO (Tico)

Tico-Alegre All Stars - LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL VOL. 1 (Tico)

Willie Colon & Associates - 49 MINUTES (Fania)

Louie Ramirez & Ray De La Paz - OTRA NOCHE CALIENTE (Sony/RMM)

Great stuff, every one. And the price was RIGHT!

This in addition to the following jazz items:

Ahmad Jamal - FREEFLIGHT (GRP/Impulse!)

Bob Belden - SHADES OF BLUE (BN)

Teddy Edwards & Houston Person - HORN TO HORN (Muse)

Creative Music Studio - WOODSTOCK JAZZ FESTIVAL VOL. 1 (Douglas): Konitz/Corea/Vitous/DeJohnette

Various - JAZZ LOFT SESSIONS (Douglas)

9 CDs, and the total was under $39 before tax. Gotta love THAT!

Love those road trips too. Leave early to allow time for shopping!

Recently stumbled across a CD version of THAT'S THE WAY I FEEL NOW, the Hal Wilner-produced Monk tribute.

hw1.jpg

This has to be a very early CD; the original recording was released in 1984, and it has never been reissued to the best of my knowledge. (Verve had plans to in the recent past, but they were scrapped for reasons I don't remember).

A steal at $7.99!

Recently stumbled across a CD version of THAT'S THE WAY I FEEL NOW, the Hal Wilner-produced Monk tribute.

hw1.jpg

This has to be a very early CD; the original recording was released in 1984, and it has never been reissued to the best of my knowledge. (Verve had plans to in the recent past, but they were scrapped for reasons I don't remember).

A steal at $7.99!

But don't sell your vinyl copy; the CD version isn't complete!

Ralph Sutton. Wondrous Piano. The private family recordings - 1961. Arbors Records 2003.

Added this one and some other piano stuff to my list after having read Agustín's recommendation in the, as far as I recall, stride pianists thread.

Paid 1 Euro for it today.

After having heard it, I would have paid about 15 times that ... or more.

Wonderful stuff.

B0000AM6KI.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cheers!

P.S.: I wonder if I'll ever get tired of this kind of music. I have tons of these (Teddy Wilson, Oscar Peterson, Hank Jones, ....) and have been listening to especially these for years now. I never really had a moment where I said: "Enough!" Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it here and there, but I've never stopped enjoying this kind of music to the fullest.

Edit: Included image.

Don’t know if there’s another thread dedicated to the Great Finds of CDs (I know there’s a thread like this for vinyl); I did a search and nothing comes up, so if there IS a thread for this, please tell me and I’ll delete this thread.

Thanks for this thread, Big Al!!

It's been long overdue!!

:tup

I wish I could have posted the great finds of the past year. There were plenty. And since I raided just about every second-hand shop for about eight years here, most of the real finds (you know, the ones that fell behind the counter and the ones that were simply in the totally wrong place, some back room or elsewhere) are gone. Now it's just that I have to be in the right place at the right time which, unfortunately, rarely happens anymore. Too busy.

I love hunting around for second-hand stuff, but I live near a city with lots of good jazz and lots of jazz fans, so the competition is tough.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

In a rare-ish excursion away from the vinyl racks I came out with an amazing stack of BN Conns and Doubletimes this weekend:

Sam Rivers 'Contours'

Andrew Hill 'Dance With Death'

Bobby Hutcherson 'Now'

Larry Young 'Of Love and Peace'

Kenny Burrell 'Introducing' (2CD)

Stanley Turrentine/Three Sounds 'Complete Blue Hour' (2CD)

All for £5 each ! :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 years later...

There's a Half Price near me which is a gold mine for rarites, usually at $5.98. Well, a couple of years a ago a widow brought in her late husband's cd collection: 3 solid boxes of avant garde jazz. That nearly put me out around a couple hundred once all was said and done. Some highlights were theAlbert Mangelsdorff 'Originals' MPS boxes, a ton of Cecil Taylors, Braxtons, including Braxton House releases, a ton of Hatology's, FMP's and so on.

Other scores over the years at second-hand stores:

Curtis Amy/Dupree Bolton-Katanga! for $5

The Freddie Hubbard/Woody Shaw Sessions for $6

A bunch of VEE's in the $8 range, inlcuding Art Blakey (Joe Gordon), Art Farmer (Listen to...), Modern Jazz Society, Ray Brown (Bass Hit) etc.

Ornette's Soapsuds Soapsuds for $2.50

William Parker's Peach Orchard for $1

Air Airlore for $6

James Blood Ulmer's Tales of Captain Black for $6

Birth of the Third Stream for $7

Sonny Sharrock's Guitar for $6

Andrew Hill But Not Farewell for $2.50