Great Finds (CD version)

Big Al

Dusty Groove has a very limited amount of used CDs. I don't think they put them on-line like they do with the used vinyl.

Probably the best I've picked up there was Krzysztof Komeda Astigmatic (the version with the video interview with Zofia Komeda) for $6.

The last time I was there (last week) they still had Patton's Memphis to New York Spirit for a low price. They might be willing to dig it out and sell it over the phone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my favorite finds were probably all mosaic sets that went out of print before i started buying jazz:

count basie - the complete roulette live recordings mosaic (no box/book) for $20

nat king cole - the complete capitol recordings of the nat king cole trio for $120

duke ellington - the complete reprise studio recordings for $30

remember one time at the Exchange a couple of years ago a bunch of jazz cd's were in their dollar bin:

Don Cherry/Ed Blackwell-El Corazon-ECM

Don Cherry-Dona Nostra-ECM

Henry Threadgill and Makin' a Move-Where's Your Cup?-Columbia

Henry Threadgill-Makin' a Move-Columbia

William Parker-Peach Orchid-AUM Fidelity

New York Ear and Eye Control-ECM

Tony Williams-Spring-BN

James Newton-Suite for Frida Kahlo-Audiophile

And there was nothing wrong with these cds! Someone really goofed there.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

An online find, but for some reason Allegro had a new copy of the out-of-print first Ivie Anderson/Duke Ellington Hep last week (RAISIN' THE RENT) for $12. I came across it on Amazon Marketplace--got the CD in the mail today, and the listing is gone. Haven't checked the Allegro site, but I know it's OOP and that vendors usually want a steep sum for it. Been on my wish-list for awhile, even though I have a fair amount of the material already... a nice tide-me-over until the Ellington Mosaic finally comes out (fingers still crossed on that one).

Hello,

I scored a couple of audiophile versions a couple of weeks ago:

Bill Evans "Portrait of Jazz" DCC (GOLD CD)

Bill Evans "Interplay" DCC (GOLD CD)

John Coltrane "Blue Train" MFSL (GOLD CD)

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" (Longbox Gold CD)

Bill Evans "Sunday Night at Village Vanguard" (XRCD)

Bill Evans "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" (XRCD)

All for $80

Pretty good score me thinks.

/Shaft

An online find, but for some reason Allegro had a new copy of the out-of-print first Ivie Anderson/Duke Ellington Hep last week (RAISIN' THE RENT) for $12. I came across it on Amazon Marketplace--got the CD in the mail today, and the listing is gone. Haven't checked the Allegro site, but I know it's OOP and that vendors usually want a steep sum for it. Been on my wish-list for awhile, even though I have a fair amount of the material already... a nice tide-me-over until the Ellington Mosaic finally comes out (fingers still crossed on that one).

Scott Wenzel reassured me fairly recently that the Ellington Mosaic will be out next year.

greg mo

Scott Wenzel reassured me fairly recently that the Ellington Mosaic will be out next year.

greg mo

Glad to hear it--my most recent contact with them had left me wondering. Listened to the Ivie Hep V. 1 last night, and it's great...now, if I can only track down V. 2.

greg mo

Glad to hear it--my most recent contact with them had left me wondering. Listened to the Ivie Hep V. 1 last night, and it's great...now, if I can only track down V. 2.

V.2. (All God's Chillum...) is available as a download from Rhapsody. For some reason v.1 is listed as a single and hence costs 99 cents.

greg mo

V.2. (All God's Chillum...) is available as a download from Rhapsody. For some reason v.1 is listed as a single and hence costs 99 cents.

I saw the download version, but I'm a finicky 20th-century physical-artifact kind of guy...plus I generally like the Hep liner notes.

• 6 months later...

found some goodies in the used CD store yesterday...

James Newton - African Flower (Blue Note)

Ray Bryant - All Mine... And Yours (EmArcy Japan)

Kenny Burrell - Soulero (GRP)

and also the OST of "Round Midnight" (not sure how rare it is, only had the Dexter Blue Note disc so far)

• 1 year later...

Just come back with a great haul of new Fantasy/Prestige CDs from Fopp. £3 each

Webster Young 'For Lady'

Red Garland 'Red's Blues'

Freddie Hubbard 'Live at Northsea 1980'

Stitt/Ervin/Patterson 'Soul People'

Cannonball Adderley Sextet 'Dizzy's Business'

plus one Blue Note on my list at £3 - Horace Silver 'Live at Newport 1958'

Not only that but they threw in free Warners EU promo posters of Mingus Carnegie Hall and Ellington's New Orleans Suite. Great stuff !

Webster Young 'For Lady'

Not only that but they threw in free Warners EU promo posters of Mingus Carnegie Hall and Ellington's New Orleans Suite. Great stuff !

Nice haul! :tup

Webster Young 'For Lady'

Nice haul! :tup

Thanks. I had to pass on a whole bundle of Sonny Stitts, Don Pattersons and Montreux 1975 reissues. There might have been some Ray Bryants too - wish I'd gone for them now.

Stitt and Patterson sure did well on the reissue front from Prestige in their last few years of reissues. 'Market saturation' - in a good way !

Edited by sidewinder

Webster Young 'For Lady'

Thanks for the heads up Sidewinder on Fopp's fabulous £3 offers! Just come home with these two:

31ZE1Q4J6KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

519%2B9yvxTYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fun topic - a few things I picked up for a buck each at our town library yard sale last week:

McCoy Tyner - Reflections

Dr. John - Television

Putamayo's Cuban Lounge

Dan Hicks - Beatin' the Heat

You never know what you'll find at yard sales - 99% of it is Madonna and Kiss - but every once in a while...

I remember the good ol' days spending hours at Le Marche du Disc in Montreal where they had a ton of vintage r&b and blues for under $5 Canadian - things like Wynonie Harris, Little Willie John, Ruth Brown, Lee Andrews, etc.

Strangely, the best deals on vintage collections I've found have been overseas. In a little shopping mall in Portugal I found 'Cuban Legends' (2 cds), and a Big Joe Turner 4 cd collection, 4 euros each.