Box sets to avoid

take5

I'm in the midst of a mean box set acquisition frenzy with no end in sight. Some of what I have so far:

- Began my Mosaic collection

- all the Miles Columbia sets

- Coltrane's complete Impulse quartert and Village Vanguard

- Complete Atlantic sets from 'Trane, Ornette, Mingus

- Billie Holiday complete Decca

- Louis Armstrong complete Hot 5 & 7

- Parker complete Savoy & Dial

- Ella complete songbooks

- Chick Corea Origin @ Blue Note

Sets on the top of my to-get list:

- Billie Holiday complete Columbia

- Herbie Hancock complete Blue Note

I would like to get Billie's and Parker's Verve music in one set. It seems they both have a "complete" box each, with lots of alternates and bonus stuff, and sets with just the master takes. Not sure which to get. Are the masterings and sound quality the same between the master and complete sets?

The Prestige/Riverside sets for Evans, Miles, Monk, and Rollins look nice but I'm concerned about sound quality since they are relatively older sets and I will have some of that music repeated, since I have the SACDs of quite a few of the albums that comprise those sets. However, I do have the Rollins Prestige ordered because I found such a great deal on it.

Other sets I'm considering:

- complete Albert Ayler (though I've never heard his music, just read some interesting things)

- 3-disc Ella & Louis set

- The various Dextor Gordon box sets

- Sonny Rollins complete RCA

It is frustrating that labels don't just go all out with their catalogue. If Blue Note made complete box sets for Hancock, Gordon, and let Mosaic do a Mobley 50s set, why not also do complete sets for Shorter, Green, Rollins, Hubbard, McClean, Morgan, et al? I know I would get them.

So are there any on the list I should avoid for some reason, particularly sound quality?

I'll make a few comments. . . . Not much to avoid here as far as I'm concerned. The Prestige/Riverside/Contemporary/etc. boxes actually to me sound pretty darned good. . . . There IS a difference in remastering between the Parker complete and master takes boxes (the master takes was done by different folk more than a decade later than the complete box) but the complete box sounds pretty good I think.

I can't think of anything to avoid in this group. I haven't done a comparison the two Parker Verve sets but if you want the alternative takes, then get the 10 cd set. The closest you're going to get to a Green set is their 4 cd retrospective which is a pretty good set IMHO.

I've been listening to the Miles Prestige set and happen to like it. No problem with the sound. The only problem I have with this set (and I don't know if anybody else has this problem) is that it's damn hard to get the cases out of the box. It's a very tight fit.

What are you getting of Dex's? If you can get the BN. It's oop but shows up on ebay a lot. I recommend the SteepleChase box. Then again I also recommend the other 2 that came out last year: the Select and Prestige. There is also the one Savoy put out which is really just a reissue of Jazz West Coast, three different cds. For early Dex, you should pick this up.

Edited by Brad

I've been listening to the Miles Prestige set and happen to like it.  No problem with the sound.  The only problem I have with this set (and I don't know if anybody else has this problem) is that it's damn hard to get the cases out of the box.  It's a very tight fit.

My only problem with it is that it doesn't include the studio chatter from the original releases. Not only is it interesting but it's become part of the songs for me.

Edited by medjuck

There IS a difference in remastering between the Parker complete and master takes boxes (the master takes was done by different folk more than a decade later than the complete box) but the complete box sounds pretty good I think.

Interesting... I don't suppose you know what the difference is (eq, compression, etc)? Could be an improvement, which is good, or an "improvement" which is bad. The Dizzy Gillespie complete RCA/Victor double CD has made my extremely wary of various recordings on CD from that era.

I'd recommend you put the Monk Prestige and the Rollins Riverside & Contemporary box on that list

Ah yes, definitely want to get the Monk, forgot to list that (and I'm sure I can find it pretty cheap).

Is that Rollins set the one called the "Freelance Years?" Looks interesting, but I've read that the sound ain't too hot.

The closest you're going to get to a Green set is their 4 cd retrospective which is a pretty good set IMHO.

Saw that one, but no, Green is a fave of mine and I definitely want the whole albums.

I've been listening to the Miles Prestige set and happen to like it. No problem with the sound.

I'm sure there's no problem, but some of this material has come out in so many different forms. I have SACDs of Cookin' (which sounds fabulous), Relaxin' (not so great), and Workin' (very nice). So I'm just on the fence about the set because I'd have repeat material. However, I've become something of a Miles freak, and would like a "complete" library. I think I'll just relegate this towards the bottom of the list.

What are you getting of Dex's? If you can get the BN.

That would probably be my first bet, as his Blue Note material is really all I'm familiar with, so this would be a good way to start branching. I have Go and Our Man in Paris on CD. I must admit to not fully "getting" his playing- I enjoy some of his fresh interpretations of bop standards but sometimes it seems a little gimmicky. I also feel I have to develop a greater patience for his ballads, as I do for anyone's ballads (I still get ansy listening to Rollins play slow because to me he's much more exciting fast).

If there's coinage to spare, I'd add the Brownie 'Complete EmArcy' box to that pile.

Oh smack, Cliff Brown has a box set? Will definitely be looking into that!

. and the Rahsaan...

Yes, been meaning to add more Kirk to the collection. I only have Inflated Tear, Domino, and a double CD set of the albums Blacknuss and Volunteered Slavery

My only problem with it is that it doesn't include the studio chatter from the original releases. Not only is it interesting but it's become part of the songs for me.

Hmm... I'll have to revisit my CDs to see if they have chatter.

Definitely worth adding the Mingus Debut box to the list too. That collection is one fascinating listening experience and the booklet is a great read.

I've seen that on vinyl, I think.

Of course also really want to hunt down a copy of the Candid Mosaic...

Another pair of box sets I forgot to mention that's on my hit list are the big Art Tatum sets. Also I saw a Joe Henderson one in a store recently...

Lay it off to my own quirkiness, but as much as I like Ella and Louis as separate artists, I never quite warmed up to any of their pairings. I wound up trading off my copy of the Ella/Louis box about three years ago.

With regard Art Pepper, don't ignore the Hollywood All-Star Sessions. That's got a lot of really good stuff on it. Earlier vintage than the Galaxy.

On Dex, if you don't have a lot of his single CD's, I'd hold out for the Blue Note. Just the fact that it includes the albums Landslide and Clubhouse makes it extra desirable. Those two have been rara avis for many years. To these ears, Dex is just better on Blue Note than he is on any other label.

I second the many endorsements of the Kirk Mercury box. Full of surprises. And don't forget the Wes Montgomery Riverside. That's a good one too.

Although crucifixtion is the likely result of this next recommentation, I would also endorse the Wynton Marsalis Village Vanguard box. Not only is it full of good live jazz, but it can be had for peanuts relative to the cost of any other boxes under discussion.

Last but not least and speaking of live jazz and even though it's not a box, I'll throw down a thumb up for the five Shelly Manne Live at the Blackhawk CD's. I reach for those as often as anything in my collection.

Up over and out.

As far as the Bird goes. . . the Complete set doesn't suffer from the nonoising that the RCA Diz does. . . . It's weakness may be that there isn't much "sparkle" to the sound, but it is fullbodied and smooth enough. The Master Takes set has the sparkle, and may be just a tad less fullbodied and smooth. Nothing is ever perfect in cd sound! :o;)

Last but not least and speaking of live jazz and even though it's not a box, I'll throw down a thumb up for the five Shelly Manne Live at the Blackhawk CD's.  I reach for those as often as anything in my collection.

:tup I second the Shelly Manne at the Blackhawk suggestion. Also, the 2 CD's of Shelly Manne Live at the Manne-Hole are almost as good. All 7 CD's (Black Hawk and Manne-Hole) provide great straight-ahead live club jazz from the late '50's/early '60's, with excellent sound. :w

Brownie, I already have the Corea :)

I do want to get the Duke complete RCA/Victor, but lordy it sure is mucho $$$$$! The 3-disc "best of" will have to hold me for a while.

The only Prez set I'm aware of is the Verve sessions. Not high on the list at this point.

As for Count, I have no idea where to start collecting his music, because so much of it has vocals I don't like. When I get to that point, I'll post a thread for it.

jazzbo, thanks for clarifying the Bird sets a bit. Knowing my own obsessiveness, I'll probably opt for the complete.

Lay it off to my own quirkiness, but as much as I like Ella and Louis as separate artists, I never quite warmed up to any of their pairings. I wound up trading off my copy of the Ella/Louis box about three years ago.

I can understand that. I kind of like the one (first) album of theirs I have, though. Lots of personality. Ella is just so powerful a singer that anyone sharing the mic seems silly to me, so I enjoy it for what it is. Then again, I also think Sinatra's Duets album is freakin' hilarious.

With regard Art Pepper, don't ignore the Hollywood All-Star Sessions. That's got a lot of really good stuff on it. Earlier vintage than the Galaxy.

Will do. Only familiar with some of his Fantasy stuff (w/ Mile's rhythm section, et al).

And don't forget the Wes Montgomery Riverside.

Ah, yes. Already have solid sounding versions of Full House and Inredible Jazz Guitar (well, as best as can be expected given the quality of that original recording).

I've heard the Wynton box from a friend and rather enjoyed it. I thought I would enjoy his standards albums given that experience, but was wrong. Ah well.

I did get a box set with Rod Stewart as a gift recently... The Faces... that'll have to be enough for me. :)

the RCA Rollins (a very overlooked set I believe)

I'll second that. I was sure I'd enjoy it when I bought it, but I was surprised by how much I did. I like the layout of it as well, and for a box in that format it's reasonably easy to read. I'm not sure if any of the extra songs are exclusive to the box (though there may be a few), but it sure makes it easy to have them all in one package.

What are you getting of Dex's? If you can get the BN.

That would probably be my first bet, as his Blue Note material is really all I'm familiar with, so this would be a good way to start branching. I have Go and Our Man in Paris on CD. I must admit to not fully "getting" his playing- I enjoy some of his fresh interpretations of bop standards but sometimes it seems a little gimmicky. I also feel I have to develop a greater patience for his ballads, as I do for anyone's ballads (I still get ansy listening to Rollins play slow because to me he's much more exciting fast).

Veteran Groover

Group: Members

Member No.: 131

This may sound a little strange but I would say for me it has been Dexter Gordon. I never really understood why some considered him the master that he is. I have been listening to a lot of his Steeplechase recordings lately and finally appreciate his unbelievabe talent and energy. Up until recently it was like, Dexter, oh yea, some nice ballads, yada, yada, yada.

Not anymore..... what a player. He has trememdous control of his horn, he works quotes in almost effortlessly.... great style and presence.

I finally get it. A true giant! 

I found your feelings about Dex to be very familiar as you can see. :g I will say that I now can appreciate Dex on BN but he really never clicked for me until I started listening to his Black Lion "Live at the Montamare" series, The Other Side of Midnight; Body and Soul; and Take the A Train. That did it! Most of his Steeplechase/Black Lion stuff is recorded with his "regular" band and is just fantastic-----Kenny Drew on piano etc... If you want to "get" him, I would recommend you start here. That Steeplechase box is very high on my list!

People are probably going to disagree with me here, but I would say stay away from the Armstrong set because the sound is MUCH better elsewhere - get the old Columbia LPs, the old gatefold Armstrong LP - and hear this music in incredible sound - the box is OK, but the earlier LP issues are superior - not to mention that there is audible digital distortion at the beginning of Weatherbird in the boxed set! This is inexcusable -

Edited by AllenLowe

People are probably going to disagree with me here, but I would say stay away from the Armstrong set because the sound is MUCH better elsewhere - get the old Columbia LPs, the old gatefold Armstrong LP - and hear this music in incredible sound - the box is OK, but the earlier LP issues are superior - not to mention that there is audible digital distortion at the beginning of Weatherbird in the boxed set! This is inexcusable -

On my current system the Armstrong Columbia set doesn't sound that great, either. Get the JSP Hot Five/Hot Seven set, which was remastered by the late, great John R.T. Davies; it's a cheap alternative.

Allen, I'm sure you're right, but alas, I don't have a record player. I plan to get one, but my Big Music Collecting Plan is to amass a library of "complete" recordings (hence the box set) on CD for reference and portability listening pleasure and enrichment and use high-res digital and high quality vinyl (when I do get a player) to enhance home listening.

Morganized, I remember that post/thread. That sort of thing is why I very much look forward to collecting Dex box sets... eventually.

Brad... yes, the money. Do note that all this acquisition will be taking place over a number of years. And with amazon.com marketplace and ebay, it's that bad. If I were to buy these at full price- yikes!- but I'm not going to do that.

The Rollins Prestige 7 CD price I ordered today will cost me $35. I think that's pretty darn good.

(Interested parties check out yourmusic.com )