Overlooked Guitarists

Brad

overlooked guitarists?

I agree with most of the names mentioned earlier. How about some of the newer talent coming up....like Jonathan Kreisberg from NYC.

If you haven't heard Kreisberg...you need to. Kreisberg's "Trio-ing" CD is one of the most refreshing guitar records I've heard in a long, long time (and I'm addicted to the instrument!).

Adam Rafferty and Jimmy Bruno are also quite noteworthy.

These guys weren't playing "back in the day"....but they have the vibe!

:tup

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

overlooked guitarists?

I agree with most of the names mentioned earlier. How about some of the newer talent coming up....

Not totally new, but how about Kevin O'Neil of Anthony Braxton fame? Amazing that this guy doesn't a record deal. One of the most interesting musicians that I've happened on to in a long time.

Are there any jazz guitarists around that arent influenced by rock?

Oh, of course there are. For example, somebody mentioned Jimmy Bruno (not an overlooked guitarist, BTW) a few posts back. Mark Elf comes to mind. There are many, many others who continue in the more traditional straight ahead/bebop vein. There are still a lot of swing purists too. Hell, there are even thousands of players out there who emulate only Django Reinhardt (there's a whole subculture of Django freaks out there :)). I'm sure everybody has heard rock music, but they don't choose to incorporate it into their concept of jazz. It's a big world.

overlooked guitarists?

I agree with most of the names mentioned earlier. How about some of the newer talent coming up....like Jonathan Kreisberg from NYC.

If you haven't heard Kreisberg...you need to. Kreisberg's "Trio-ing" CD is one of the most refreshing guitar records I've heard in a long, long time (and I'm addicted to the instrument!).

Adam Rafferty and Jimmy Bruno are also quite noteworthy.

These guys weren't playing "back in the day"....but they have the vibe!

:tup

i have Kreisberg's nine stories wide.....cool guitarist! :cool:

my heroes are: Dave Stryker & Will Bernard :wub:

mmh, overlooking guitarists? I don't think so.....more overlooking triangle-players.....where is the overlooking triangle-player-thread! :g

• 5 weeks later...

Oscar Aleman

Although mentioned before in this list I'd love to introduce him again.

The El Redescubrimiento de Oscar Aleman project(the Rediscovery of Oscar Aleman) wants to bring his musical heritage back to the jazz fans.

The project gave birth to the Oscar Aleman discography (interested? koerthchkz@zeelandnet.nl)

In July 2005 the project was presented at the 2005 IAJRC convention in Copenhagen. Thanks to the fact that Svend Asmussen visited it this presentation became very special ( 2005 IAJRC convention and jazzfestival Copenhagen

I have this one, that I enjoy:

Bola Sete at the Monterey Jazz Festival

By 1966, Bola Sete, known for his brilliant Brazilian Afro-jazz fusion, had formed his own trio with drummer Paulinho Da Costa and bassist Sebastiao Neto. This CD features a medley of songs from the movie Orfeo Negra (Black Orpheus) and two original compositions, including an exquisitely Brazilian "Flamenco", on which the players catch fire.

monterey.jpg

Bola Sete Website

I hear his album on Takoma is pretty cool, but I've never seen it to pick it up.

Sete, that is, not Vince.

Listening a bit lately to Czech guitarist Rudolf Dasek in a duo with reedman Jiri Stivin from the 70s. The two albums - both "System Tandem" - that I have are great. One studio on Japo, one live on Supraphon. Great, great interplay, and you won't even miss the drums...

• 1 month later...

Has Eddie Durham been mentioned yet?

I really like his work, especially on the 1938 Lester Young "Kansas City Sessions" (Commodore). His recordings on electric guitar predate those of Charlie Christian. Though not the influential player that Christian was, I think he still sounds pretty great . A triple threat as guitarist/trombonist/arranger.

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Embrey from Kansas City. Most of Danny's recent national things have been with Karrin Allyson. Prior to that he has worked with many groups. From his online bio at http://dannyembrey.com . . .

Embrey become guitarist with the Sergio Mendes Band and traveled the globe for six years. He explained, "My first trip with Sergio was seven weeks in Europe; then, we went to South Africa, the Middle East, the Far East, and Australia." He recalls playing for King Hussein in Jordan and the Reagans in the East Room of the White House. There were television appearances on Solid Gold, The Merv Griffin Show, and The Johnny Carson Show.

Danny viewed the Mendes job as ideal. Although they spent considerable time touring, he had time to work the Los Angeles area. During this time he played with such greats as Shelly Manne, Bob Brookmeyer, Alan Broadbent, Monty Budwig, Annie Ross, Sam Most, Gary Foster, and Leroy Vinnegar. He recorded two albums with Clare Fischer and Gary Foster (Discovery Records: "And Sometimes Voices," and "Crazy Bird"). On Sea Breeze Records, he recorded "The Steve Houghton Album" and he recorded the album "Sheet Music" with Barry White.

Thanks for that info. I had lost track of Embrey. Haven't heard him in many years. I heard him on the radio once (probably early 90's or so), taking a wonderful solo on a Concord recording. Unfortunately I've forgotten who was leading the session, but Embrey sounded fantastic. I think it was before his association with Allyson (I could be wrong, though). I'm not particularly fond of Allyson, and kind of forgot about Embrey altogether. I had heard that he was working with a group in KC playing brazilian music, but I never was able to track down any recordings. Anyway, some of the best players I've ever heard have been guys that keep a relatively low profile (Louis Stewart, Reg Schwager, and Gray Sargent come to mind, although Gray is getting a lot of exposure with Tony Bennett these days).

Danny records with Sons of Brasil. That is probably the group you are thinking of. He seems to get on many CDs these days and does a lot of really fine arranging and composition.

Danny is kind of a shy guy who doesn't promote himself a lot, but he should. He is kind of "off the road" right now, just catching up with things in Kansas City.

Best group I've ever heard him work with was Interstring. That was bassist, Bob Bowman's group and included Todd Strait on drums and another fantastic guitarist, Rod Fleeman. You may find some sound clips online somewhere for this group but Bob never could get interested in a web site to promote himself or his CDs either.

I think the only Concord albums he was on in the early 90s was with Karrin. My guess is that it would be her first and self produced album that Concord bought from her - "I Didn't Know About You" - maybe 'S Wonderful.

Or, on "It Might As Well Be String," (same album) there is a real Danny Embrey treat. When they recorded this, Danny didn't particularly like his solo so he recorded another one. When they got ready to mix it, the sound engineer forgot to take the old one out. Bill McGlaughlin (Karrin's S/O and conductor of the KC Symphony) loved it with both solos in the mix and suggested that they leave both in. That's the way the album hit the streets. If you don't have this album I will try to do an MP3 sample of it and load it to Danny's web site. You can email me for the location - jazz@kc.rr.com.

BTW, Interstring backs her on Nature Boy on that album. Rod is also on several of the other tunes too.

Pete Cosey - and Billy Butler -

I figured someone would mention Pete Cosey, so I just kept on going page after page after page ...

Definitely my favorite Miles guitarist, and he's still alive and doing very well apparently.

Anybody know the story on how Miles discovered him (or was it the other way around) ?

• 5 weeks later...

Lonnie Johnson, in 1940 he worked with Jimmie Noone and it was his last great contribution to jazz that I know of. His jazz friends died mostly or faded away at the time and he switched to love songs and soft blues and abandond the jazz almost completely especially on record. At that time Charlie Christian was setting a new stage and Lonnie Johnson was forgotten with the new circles of bop , later he was almost completely ignored by jazz researchers save a few who realized the situation, maybe in order to make Eddie Lang as the only guitar hero of the 1920's. One listens to Lang before and after he met Lonnie Johnson can realize how much Lang was influenced by Lonnie Johnson. Lonnie Johnson's solo instrumentals are still the all time best of solo jazz guitar in my opinion. And the duos with Lang are the best of all time jazz acoustic guitar duos. And his solos with Armstrong, Noone and Duke are the all time best acoustic guitar improvisation solos on big bands in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Oscar Aleman

Although mentioned before in this list I'd love to introduce him again.

The El Redescubrimiento de Oscar Aleman project(the Rediscovery of Oscar Aleman) wants to bring his musical heritage back to the jazz fans.

The project gave birth to the Oscar Aleman discography (interested? koerthchkz@zeelandnet.nl)

In July 2005 the project was presented at the 2005 IAJRC convention in Copenhagen. Thanks to the fact that Svend Asmussen visited it this presentation became very special ( 2005 IAJRC convention and jazzfestival Copenhagen

I just heard two of his recordings on the Hittin' on all Six box set from Proper, Jeeper's Creepers, and I Got Rhythm...I Got Rhythm is really wonderful...will be getting a cd or 2 of his in the future! :tup