Lee Konitz-Motion, Sonny Stitt- NY Jazz

skeith

I picked up used copies of these Verve Cds scheduled for release next week.

Motion- is a record that I just love and I think the music is some of the best jazz around. I have the 3 cd set and compared it. Initially I thought the sound on the new single issue better and the instruments seem more real and there is more of a sense of space around them. However, the alto has an annoying echo or reverb that detracts from my enjoyment. Interestingly, Verve chose not to include any extra tracks which they had done on the previous single cd, not even the extra tracks with Elvin. I am torn on this one because of the echo.

NY Jazz- this is one of Stitt's best in my opinion. It is just so much better than say "Only the Blues" or "Plays Bird" or half a dozen other cds in print that so many rave about. It is a collection of nice blues originals by Sonny , standards, hard bop, no surprises - just very well played and the band includes Basie drummer Jo Jones. this one's a monster and a must for Stitt fans.

Curious how others react when they get these.

Interestingly,  Verve chose not to include any extra tracks which they had done on the previous single cd, not even the extra tracks with Elvin.

I think that's the philosophy of this Verve "LP Reproduction" series. LP covers (smaller though), LP tracklist (but playable on one side only ;))

Bonus tracks would have done no harm, if put at the end as it is customary today.

Edited by Claude