Multi talented musicians

B. Goren.

I recently discovered Tyree Glenn. Glenn was a multi- talented musician who played trombone and vibs. You probably agree with me that this combination is unusual. Another unusual combination is trumpet and violin: these were the favorite instruments of Ray Nance. Alice Coltrane plays piano and harp. I like very much the piano playing Charlie Mingus. Any other musicians who play several instruments you can think of? I am not talking about multi reed players like RRK or Lateef and not about pianists- singers like Nat Cole, Diana Krall, Nina Simon, etc.

And please don’t tell me about Ornette Coleman and the violin…

Edited by B. Goren.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cd of Joe Pass called My Song and it has Tom Ranier who plays soprano, tenor and clarinet and in addition he is the pianist in the album.

Wilton Felder plays both bass (Jimmy Smith "Roots Down Live") and tenor sax with the Jazz Crusaders.

Marcus Miller is mainly an electric bassist but he is also a decent bass clarinet player.

Edited by ztrauq22

Hermeto Pascoal:

flutes, saxes, tuba, guitar, bass, mandolin, piano, organ, accordion, percussion from trap set to hand drums and seemingly random objects like tea kettles, hubcaps, and the sounds of live animals.

http://www.sfjazz.com/concerts/fall04/fall...s/hpascoal.html

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I just received a super obscure LP which introduced me to a British guy who played with John Mayall and made a single jazz album with the likes of Curtis Amy, Hadley Caliman, Vi Redd and Joe Pass: Johnny Almond.

On the LP he plays:

alto

tenor

flute

vibes

organ

and something else I can't think of at the moment.

Good LP, its coming out as a Japanese reissue soon and I'm going to start a thread to alert people about it.

Everyone in the Hal Russell NRG Ensemble! According to the Bomba reissue of the s/t Nessa album, available through Chuck Nessa direct:

Chuck Burdelik: tenor, alto, clarinet, flute

Brian Sandstrom: bass, trumpet, gong

Curt Bley: bass,

Hal Russell: drums, vibes, c melody sax, shenai, cornet, zither, percussion

Steve Hun: vibes, drums

What, nobody's said Sam Rivers yet??

Tenor, Soprano, Flute, and Piano -- all of which he's recorded on multiple times.

Sam's group since the mid-90's includes a couple younger guys who both switch-up too...

Doug Matthews, bass, plus bass clarinet

Anthony Cole, drums, plus tenor sax

Thanks Rooster. How could I forget Rivers ans his group?? I saw them in NYC two years ago. They are amazing!!!

Bennie Maupin - tenor, soprano, bass clarinet, piano

Rahsaan - tenor, stritch, manzello, flute, oboe, clarinet

Brother Yusef - tenor, flute, oboe, bassoon

Ken McIntyre - alto, soprano, oboe, bassoon, [edit] and flute, of course [/edit]

Eddie Costa - piano & vibes

Edited by king ubu

Howard Johnson plays both baritone sax and tuba.

Warren Smith is a fine vibist as well as a very creative drummer / percussionist.

Olu Dara has recently been recorded on guitar as well as his customary trumpet. He's truly "pan-stylistic", too.

And then there are all those contemporary "non-idiomatic" improvisers who double on a conventional instrument and "electronics"...