• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fantasy web site mentions the following OJCs due out in April:

Shelly Manne & His Men Play More Music from Peter Gunn

Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings

Passion Dance / McCoy Tyner

Mama Pinned a Rose on Me / Mary Lou Williams

Ramblin' with Mose / Mose Allison

Where do you see this? I don't see it on their website. Do you know any of their plans to release 20-bit K2's?

Where do you see this? I don't see it on their website. Do you know any of their plans to release 20-bit K2's?

You can find it on the news page:

Concord Records, Inc. has announced (12/1) its acquisition of Fantasy; the two companies have been merged into a new entity called the Concord Music Group, Inc.

During the lengthy negotiations this summer and fall, longtime Fantasy president Ralph Kaffel has noted, "we got to know the principals and key employees of Concord quite well, which reaffirmed the correctness of our initial judgment that Concord is the proper home for our catalogs. Having spent fifty years in the record business, 33 of them at Fantasy building up the catalogs, my primary concern--as well as that of the other principals--was that the acquiring entity should have the proper understanding and respect for the treasure that we are turning over to them, and be willing to perpetuate the historical legacy these catalogs represent. With Norman Lear, Hal Gaba, Glen Barros, and all the other talented people now at the helm of the Concord Music Group, my colleagues and I are convinced the Fantasy catalog is in very good hands."

While countless large and small details remain to be worked out, we can announce that plans are under way to release 10 new 20-bit titles and 5 new Original Jazz Classics sometime in April. The 20-bits are: Art Pepper, Winter Moon; Miles Davis, Dig; Coleman Hawkins, Soul; John Coltrane, Standard Coltrane; Yusef Lateef, Eastern Sounds; Kenny Drew Trio; Thelonious Monk, Thelonious Alone in San Francisco; Cannonball Adderley Sextet, In New York; Bill Evans Trio, At Shelly's Manne-Hole; Abbey Lincoln, Abbey Is Blue. The OJCs will be Shelly Manne & His Men, Play More Music from Peter Gunn; Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings; McCoy Tyner, Passion Dance; Mary Lou Williams, Mama Pinned a Rose on Me; and Mose Allison, Ramblin' with Mose.

Guest ariceffron

YOU MEAN THEY HAVENT SHUT DOWN THE REUISSE DPT YET??? THATS GOOD, HOW MANY MORE SETS DO YOU THINK WE'LL SEE BEFORE WE GO UNDERGROUND AND START CDR-ING ALL THE OJCS, WHICH YOU CAN READ ABOUT IN MY NEW THREAD.

Yes Brandon, the Pablo lp. It's quite a nice lp! Listening to it right now. . . could definitely enjoy a sonic upgrade.. . though the lp has really nice piano recording (that resonance that MLW gets out of a piano is well represented) . . . .

Edited by jazzbo

Where do you see this?  I don't see it on their website.  Do you know any of their plans to release 20-bit K2's?

You can find it on the news page:

Concord Records, Inc. has announced (12/1) its acquisition of Fantasy; the two companies have been merged into a new entity called the Concord Music Group, Inc.

During the lengthy negotiations this summer and fall, longtime Fantasy president Ralph Kaffel has noted, "we got to know the principals and key employees of Concord quite well, which reaffirmed the correctness of our initial judgment that Concord is the proper home for our catalogs. Having spent fifty years in the record business, 33 of them at Fantasy building up the catalogs, my primary concern--as well as that of the other principals--was that the acquiring entity should have the proper understanding and respect for the treasure that we are turning over to them, and be willing to perpetuate the historical legacy these catalogs represent. With Norman Lear, Hal Gaba, Glen Barros, and all the other talented people now at the helm of the Concord Music Group, my colleagues and I are convinced the Fantasy catalog is in very good hands."

While countless large and small details remain to be worked out, we can announce that plans are under way to release 10 new 20-bit titles and 5 new Original Jazz Classics sometime in April. The 20-bits are: Art Pepper, Winter Moon; Miles Davis, Dig; Coleman Hawkins, Soul; John Coltrane, Standard Coltrane; Yusef Lateef, Eastern Sounds; Kenny Drew Trio; Thelonious Monk, Thelonious Alone in San Francisco; Cannonball Adderley Sextet, In New York; Bill Evans Trio, At Shelly's Manne-Hole; Abbey Lincoln, Abbey Is Blue. The OJCs will be Shelly Manne & His Men, Play More Music from Peter Gunn; Cal Tjader Plays, Mary Stallings Sings; McCoy Tyner, Passion Dance; Mary Lou Williams, Mama Pinned a Rose on Me; and Mose Allison, Ramblin' with Mose.

Thanks. I'm relieved that the K2's will still be issued. With the merger and the advent of SACDs, I thought perhaps these would be phased out. There are some interesting selections to be re-issued in April, though I would have preferred different Adderley, Pepper, and Lincoln, and would have liked some Montgomery and Rollins.

Yes Brandon, the Pablo lp. It's quite a nice lp! Listening to it right now. . . could definitely enjoy a sonic upgrade.. . though the lp has really nice piano recording (that resonance that MLW gets out of a piano is well represented) . . . .

Cool. Thanks Lon. I'm looking forward to hearing it--especially those so beloved "resonances". :wub:

Son of W: I can't find a october date in Lord for the Manne band and neither is a More Music from Gunn listed in Goldmine's (which doesn't say I thing I know). Please give me the catalog number and recording date if you know it. Thanks in advance.

From my mono LP...

M 3566(stereo would be S7566)

Recorded May 21 & 26, 1959.

• 1 month later...