Groovin at Small's sound quality?

wesbed

• 7 months later...

up for air. I think Donald gave Jimmy *exactly* what he needed at this point, a very rhythmically responsive style to Jimmy's playing. Donald had figured out a way in a modern jazz context how to make bop style drumming really work with an organ, and Duck's synthesis of Max Roach, Philly Joe and Art Blakey was something he made his own thing. The closest drummer I've heard to getting near Bailey's level of activity with an organist is Byron Landham with Joey D.

up for air.  I think Donald gave Jimmy *exactly* what he needed at this point, a very rhythmically responsive style to Jimmy's playing.  Donald had figured out a way in a modern jazz context how to make bop style drumming really work with an organ, and Duck's synthesis of Max Roach, Philly Joe and Art Blakey was something he made his own thing.  The closest drummer I've heard to getting near Bailey's level of activity with an organist is Byron Landham with Joey D.

They don't make guys like Donald Bailey or Billy James anymore. Rarely does a drummer have a clue as to how to play with an organist. Too simplistic and un-Tony Williams-ish for guys these days.