BMG Sale Corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we get the Retrospective if we join up?  Doesn't it just count as 4 CDs?

That would be SWEET!

They used to allow this, but I think they may have changed their policy. I recently tried to order a 2cd set on a "get 3 free" card, but they sent me a note saying request denied. Wouldn't hurt to try, though. A rep from BMG called around 8p.m. Sunday night to offer me 12 cds for 3 @ the regular price. They call me with this offer like 5 times a year now. That still works out to about $80 all told, (still a good deal) and since I just spent around $50 in the last month, I declined for now. Frankly, I'm not sure how they stay in business. I rarely order cds at the regular cost from them.

Ok, so I just joined BMG for the second time. I was a member for a few years until they sent me some crappy Boney James record and I sent it back and they didn't get and they tried to charge me for it... blah blah blah.

Anyway, I saw that they had "Boss Tenors in Orbit" which I've been wanting to get for awhile, but it's always at least $17 on any website so...

This is what I got for my first seven:

1 Gene Ammons with Sonny Stitt Boss Tenors In Orbit!

2 Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans Know What I Mean? (Remastered)

3 John Coltrane Coltrane Plays The Blues (Remastered)

4 Grant Green Trio Green Street (Remastered)

5 Norah Jones Come Away With Me (IT'S FOR THE WIFE!!!!) :)

6 Jack McDuff Moon Rappin' (Remastered)

7 Joe Williams Joe Williams At Newport '63 (Remastered)

Problem is, I only saw one other disc that I wanted on there. Does the catalog open up a little more once you become a member? I don't know if there are five more discs I want. Maybe I'll just give them to the wife. She'll find something.

They sent me that Boney James record too! Evidently he's the hick version of Yanni. Anyway, I gave it to my girlfriend as a joke and she got $7 for it on Amazon marketplace!

If you're looking at the website, what you see is what you get. No additional selections become available once you've been accepted. I have one suggestion, though: they have the Mercury Blues 8CD set for about $20. Even with the approx. $10 shipping charge, it's still a great deal.

6 Jack McDuff Moon Rappin' (Remastered)

You're just now getting that?!?!?? :P:excited::wacko:

Space greeeaze at its best!!! Yer really gonna dig it!

Don't know if you've heard Know What I Mean before, but if you haven't, you're in for a treat. "Elsa" is worth the price of admission alone!

I just ordered the 4-disc Green Retrospective to fulfill my membership agreement. I'll keep y'all posted as to whether or not they actually process it or not.

Okay, in my email it says that my special offer is buy one, get unlimited at $1.99. When I go to the site it says my deal is buy one, get three free. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a phone number I can call to get this straightened out? Email communication with them is so slow I'm afraid the deal will expire before the problem is resolved. Thanks.

BMG now has Chucho Valdes' latest, Fantasia Cubana, on Norah. Highly recommended for Chucho fans, classic/jazz crossover, and solo-piano seekers.

I can also highly reccomend this title. Super-excellent as a serious jazz/classical crossover album that really works, without a hint of "cheeze" factor.

By all means, get this one if you're on the fence about it.

J (can I call you that?) -

In your e-mail there may be some sort of promotion code to get the "buy 1, unlimited $1.99" deal.

If it's there, you simply have to plug it into the website, by clicking where it says "Have a Promotion Code?"

If you don't have a promotion code in your e-mail, then I'm not sure what to tell ya. It's possible there next website "special" will be the $1.99 deal, but they simply haven't switched the website to that yet.

Alternately, I've had success in going to their customer service webpage, and sending them a message explaining the offer you received, and the titles (w/selection #s) you want. After they process this order, it should show up under your account with the correct charges.

I think the $1.99 deal is about the best one if you're planning to order a large number of single-disc titles.

-Erik

Ok, so I signed up online with these 'tards on Tuesday and I still haven't received an email or anything from them. I sign in on the site and it says, "We are currently processing your application. Please check back in 48 hours." I can't even get a link to a fuckin' email address to ask them what the damn hold-up is.

Is you or ain't you gonna sell me some motherfuckin' CDs, BIIIIAAATCH!? :angry:

What gives?!

Speaking of BMG, I just joined and pillaged them for the following:

Art Blakey--Live At Birdland 1&2

Wayne Shorter--Juju & Speak No Evil

Horace Silver--Jody Grind & Blowin' The Blues Away

Herbie Hancock--Empyrean Isles

Miles Davis--Walkin'

Stanley Turrentine & The 3 Sounds--2cd

Stan Getz & The Cool Sounds

Dizzy Gillespie with Stitt & Rollins

Shirley Scott--Talkin' Verve Compilation

I posted this in another thread, but methinks it is better placed here. I can't wait for these to arrive! :rsmile:

I'm never going to join BMG again now that I've just fufilled my enrollment obligations. I ordered Grant Green's Am I Blue? and they sent me this instead:

126841.gif

As it was one of my free selections, it wouldn't have been worth the trouble to exchange (I'd have to pay for return shipping). I went ahead and popped it in the CD player to see exactly what kind of music the genius in BMG's warehouse had sent me. Let me tell ya, it's always a special treat get a CD featuring effeminate-sounding Latinos with accordians when you're looking forward to hearing Grant Green's guitar...Grrrrrrr! :angry:

P.S. I love Afro-Cuban or Latin jazz, so please don't think I'm bashing Latinos with my remark above...

I've received some HORRIBLE cds due to BMG errors. Often times these fall into the Latin pop category. (No offence intended to anyone, but this is probably my least favorite genre of music [well, it at least gives disco a run for its money]. IMO, the bass always sounds like polka to me and the accordian is one of the lamest instruments ever invented. Also, I lived in SF's Mission district for a few years where I was woken up by this music being played at incredible volumes WAY too early in the morning on the weekends.) I wonder if they do this just to try to dump off slow selling Latin discs sometimes. Another time they sent me a Boney James cd. That thing was so scary looking I never even bothered opening it.

BTW, when this happens, just send them an email. They always rush the correct disc out to you and tell you to keep the errant one.

Big Al, I'm waiting on the Grant box set too. I got the "your order has shipped" email mid-week. It usually doesn't take long.

I have to say that I've been pretty happy with BMG's service. Haven't had too many screwups. Columbia House is the one I've been doing battle with, and I'm not even a member! They called me up out of the blue and said that as a member in good standing, I could choose one free cd. Well, long story short, that wasn't the case, and they wanted me to pay for it, in addition to them enrolling me in--you guessed it--the Latin Music Club! :blink: What is it with that shit???